Leaving Broome, driving to Perth and testing 2 x <span class="highlight">Hiclones</span>

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 21:31
ThreadID: 46871 Views:2975 Replies:14 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all, so here's me first post!
My wife and I have been living in Broome since December and we're about to drive back to Perth because it's just to bloody expensive to live here.

We were looking at paying $750 a week for the cheapest house to rent. Bugger that!

So we're off back to Perth, taking the coast all the way down. I've got a 1999 model, 100 Series Landcruiser. Got the 4.5lt Petrol, great vehicle but sucks the juice like no other! On the drive up here from Perth I was getting about 750 odd kms out of the 135lt capacity. Pretty average kms I know. Around town up here I'm getting about 550kms out of those 135lts.

So I bit the bullet and had a gander at the 2 hiclones for my Cruiser. I've also got the Vaporate fuel saver so I'm keen to see how the range goes on the way back to Perth. I'll whack the results up on here first chance I get.

If I get the time and I can afford it, I'll also go a 3" exhaust but the fundage is a little low at the moment.

As for Broome...... oh my god what an over rated place to be!! The beach is awesome here, we take our dog down quite often, have a bbq and chill out but really, thats all there is around here to do. The dry season's here and the tourists have flocked in their thousands! If you have a car without Broome number plates then expect a lot of hostility. I get verballed on the road at least 4 or 5 times, each time I head out, for the smallest things like doing the speed limit or finding a parking spot. Even driving on the beach I've had people run infront of me accusing me of speeding or being a hoon. I abide by all of the road and beach driving rules, you don't speed on the beach up here because of the number of dogs and kids running around. Nasty place which is a pity because it's quite nice at times.

I've noticed a number of posts with people asking about accommodation in Broome, caravan parks and the hotels. If you don't book about 6 to 12 months before you actually arrive here, then you'll be hard pressed to find something at all. Bring lots of money cause you'll need it.

ok, i need to go, the wife's just cut her finger open.

Love the forum, keep up the good work!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 21:46

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 21:46
I was in Broome in the early 90's, and loved the place...as a tourist. Had some friends who lived there and they had to leave for exactly the same reason...too expensive, especially the housing and had to go down the coast every fortnight to stock up on groceries.
Those were the days when you didn't have to book much except tours, no high rises or estates, only one resort from memory...and oh those sunsets and colours...looks like we've killed it by loving it to death.
AnswerID: 247976

Reply By: Member - AJB (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 21:54

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 21:54
There are a lot more awesome beaches around the coast everywhere.
AnswerID: 247984

Follow Up By: Urshtnme - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 22:21

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 22:21
Hell yes, you're not wrong there!!!
FollowupID: 508818

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 22:11

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 22:11
If you add a fitch (advertised on forum) to the Hi-clones, you will double the result.
AnswerID: 247988

Follow Up By: Urshtnme - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 22:21

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 22:21
Cheers, I'll look it up and see what the go is!
FollowupID: 508819

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 23:17

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 23:17
Gently Laydee loo see. The boy is in strife! Gees mate , we help ("try?" to) the younguns, and hang chrissy lights on us silly old farts who are all so relaxed.
FollowupID: 508831

Reply By: Urshtnme - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 22:41

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 22:41
Hey guys, is the FITCH the same as a Vaporate??
AnswerID: 247997

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 17:45

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 17:45
In that they are both useless, YES.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 508931

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (NT) - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 20:57

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 20:57
Not quite right Sandman. They are both useful for fleecing the gullible from their hard-earned money, right up there with Hiclones in fact. But hey, sometimes people gotta make the mistakes for themselves!!

Cheers
John
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 508974

Reply By: Member - lyndon K (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 22:46

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 22:46
Yep, there in 92,nice beach, rest of the place over rated!!! Airport was busy 15 years ago imagine now!!!. Yep, just too many other great places to be. Thank god(or whoever:)) that Australia is so big!!
Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 248000

Reply By: Member - Roger B (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 22:59

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 22:59
G'day Urshtnme. $750.00 sounds shocking. Where did you live from December to now? We were in Broome in 2002 as part of a 6 month, half way round the country trip.Thought Broome was fine for a visit, with great beaches, but there's 1000's of Km's. of great coast on this island of ours. I'd certainly pass through it again as part of another trip,but would never just go to Broome. Now go and attend to SWMBO's finger. Cheers.
AnswerID: 248002

Follow Up By: Urshtnme - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 01:11

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 01:11
From December till now been renting a 2 bed 1 bath duplex for $450 a week, shoddy little place it is. Over the last 2 years the rental and housing has gone through the roof, our lease is up and the only options, or cheapest options here in Broome is $750 a week so we've decided to up posts and head back to Perth.
FollowupID: 508840

Reply By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 23:48

Tuesday, Jun 19, 2007 at 23:48
Urshthme,
You've lodged a question re Broome. Or was that merely a statement?
Mate, I don't know how you stumbled across EO, (addictive, but possibly cheaper than smack, eh.)
So tell the EO population what it is you want in Broome. Tellum your trade/skills.
Mate, I don't know you from clay, but I reckon someone on this site could help.
And if you're in to drugs, then please delete all reference.
Jeff H.
AnswerID: 248013

Follow Up By: Urshtnme - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 01:16

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 01:16
G'day Jeff, it's just a statement and a comment for those looking to move to Broome to live or holiday, expect the expensive.

Not only that but since the wife and I are driving back to Perth in the Cruiser I thought I might post up some details of fuel consumption having a Vaporate fuel saver and 2 Hiclones installed. The price of fuel these days is rediculous so everything that "may" save some dollars is always good to know.

FollowupID: 508841

Reply By: obee - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 08:56

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 08:56
I go up bush toget away from the crowds. Broome is not on my visit list these days. Just another suburb but warmer in winter and a long way from the good Kimberly country if you want to see anything. On reflection it reminds me of Hamilton Island where there is nowhere to go (you are there already) and lots of golf carts going there. Oh I forgot to mention the shops. Indeed!

Derby is not so far away to the north but it has character and few shops. Its not far from a lot of fishing spots and hill country and you can do Tunnel Creek, the Leopolds, a couple of gorges and not break the bank getting there. No beach but I like that. Live next door to a beach and havnt been down there for twenty years. LOL

Owen
AnswerID: 248032

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 09:11

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 09:11
Broome was a lovely, quiet and relaxed place in 1982 and again in 1984 when we spent some time there.

Those were the days when Lord McAlpine started buying up and developing the place. We spent many hours 4x4-ing along the caostline and beaches and beachcombing on the rocks looking for interesting things or just to while the hours away. When the boom time came in the 1990's it started to change the whole scene. Now with the advent of just about EVERY retiree on the road towing a new caravan or camper trailer or in a RV, and with the idyllic weather at this time of year, Broome has become like the Gold Coast. Supply and demand.

'Tis a pity.

We will all be very interested to see the result of your Hiclone experiment. Previous comments on this forum have not been complimentary towards Hiclone, or Fitch Products for that matter, and in general there is a perception that they do not work. The only way to use less fuel is to dump any petrol driven vehicle with a large capacity engine and to go Hi-tech diesel.

Cheers
AnswerID: 248034

Reply By: Member - Mark L (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 09:44

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 09:44
I remember Broome in the mid to late sixies, you could walk Cable Beach and not see another person, went back in 2003 and could not get out of there fast enough, Broome was just another bleep ty seaside tourist destination. Unfortunately where I live here in Exmouth is going the same way, the cost of buying a house is becoming too prohibitive. In 2001 you could purchase a house here in Exmouth for about $130,000 to 180,000 no problems, now you will not get much change from $500,000 to $700,000 (thats for a house that is very basic) it is ridiculous, there are something like 62 per cent of homes in Exmouth owned by people who dont live here, they contribute zilch to the town. Rents are going through the roof and the place is full of holiday homes, I have one in my street that is probably occupied once a year for about 2 weeks.

Cheers
Mark
AnswerID: 248040

Reply By: Austravel - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 13:17

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 13:17
Thought the same thing when we were there 8mths ago. Not only the dramas you state but found the local RACWA a total rip off and extremely rude. Initial quote to repair cracked chassis was $6,000. Told him I was a tradesman and knew it wouldn't cost that and the price dropped to $3k then to $1,500. Had the job done elsewhere for under $400. They then caused me a huge amount of drama to get our camper released even though the RACQ contacted them and told them all towing costs would be met by them.

Surely they wouldn't treat locals as badly or they'd go out of business.
AnswerID: 248069

Reply By: Urshtnme - Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 17:54

Wednesday, Jun 20, 2007 at 17:54
The prices of housing anywhere north of Geraldton I think is pretty much going through the roof. No more can you think about coming up here to live or retire comfortable. With Woodside moving in as well, these towns, Broome included, will push out all your locals and general service type workers out of town and back to the cities.

It's just getting crazy up here.
AnswerID: 248107

Reply By: Kevndeb - Thursday, Jun 21, 2007 at 13:47

Thursday, Jun 21, 2007 at 13:47
My hubby did a bit of work in Broome for the Port. He said that that the tourists that insist on lying on the beach naked are locally known as " The Bronze Whalers set". He too thought Broome was highly overrated. He was there for nearly week, not only working, but also a little play( he got some good photos of the old ghost ship, the tides and so forth). He is semi FIFO worker, so he sees alot of WA, but he reckons that Karratha is a much nicer place to visit, though just as expensive. He only goes as fully paid worker, so everything is paid for, food, room and so forth. But a two night visit including airfares can cost anything up to $3000, which his boss pays for, cuz if equipment breaks down today it needs fixing yesterday and when the mine comes to a screaming halt....the companies will pay anything to get the mine working again..

I would love to go to Derby, but that is long way in the future.

Debbie
AnswerID: 248249

Reply By: bazzaboy - Wednesday, Jun 27, 2007 at 13:21

Wednesday, Jun 27, 2007 at 13:21
Gidday, Boy what are you towing or what do you have loaded.... I have a similar set up standard 100 6cyl dual fuel, we have a permanent but removeable camp set up in the rear, drawers for food, pull out stove, engle fridge, table comes down with the tailgate, very handy, gas bottles secured and a number of other campy things, so a bit of weight but I have standard springs and no sagging, back to the fuel, bearing in mind I am not a lead foot but not a snail either, I manage with the above with 2 on board, btw 7.4 & 7.8 kl/lt non fuel and down to 4.8 - 5kl/lt on gas, bit drop but thats it, my cruiser seems to do well on fuel. Have you had the shims done for the valve clearance seems to knock the consumption around a bit. When the caravan pop top is on I get a 15 - 20% reduction towing a 17'6" Jayco so that reduces me to about 6 kl/lr on fuel. I looked into the hi clones some time ago and worked out that even if they worked with the price of them it would take me some years to get my money back, dont think so...... hope it works for you, happy travelling.
AnswerID: 249446

Sponsored Links