Am i expecting too much from next G

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 14:11
ThreadID: 52717 Views:2643 Replies:10 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
warning those sick of next g being bagged read no further

I have the blue tick LG 500 and i find the coveradge less than hopeless
My main complaint where it falls flat compared to CDMA is its complete and utter failing to work in anything other than dead flat country
just some examples where i cannnot get reliable reception

i drove to toodyay which is just out of perth and lost reception just past gidgeganup and didnt get it again till a mere 6km from toodyay.
My partners daughter also has next g and she made the coment if her freinds have no reception GSM neither does she
In my room at work the phone actually roams to GSM because it has better signal. it is hard to make a reliable next g call but if the phone roams to GSM all is fine
i couldnt make a reliable phonecall on the weir road just out of kalamunda
and on the main albany highway i couldnt make a call at the rest stop near the where jaradale road crosses this is on the outskirts of perth
i find it hard to get a reception in theses spots and when out bush it has no hope
very very dissaponted
as a previos CDMA owner i really dont see any comparison
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Oznuggets - Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 15:14

Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 15:14
Hi Davoe, I too have found Nextg to be not that good. I have had the LG tu500 since may and find that handset reception in fringe areas nowhere near as good as CDMA. With my external RFI antenna it's about the same as CDMA. Without the ext antenna my old kyocera CDMA kicks its butt. I was near Leonora this winter and noticed my mate was walking around talking to someone on his Nokia CDMA, I had no signal on my Nextg unless I plugged the ext antenna in. I was down at a friends place on NSW south coast last week, I always had a weak CDMA signal inside their house but could always make calls ok. Nextg forget it, no signal at all, not even in the backyard. Have to walk few hundred metres up the road and even then if you're lucky you can make a call. So much for the new technology, bloody hopeless! I'd have my CDMA back any day,
regards,
Peter
AnswerID: 277659

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 15:45

Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 15:45
Is it possible that you can air your grievances to the Communications Minister who is looking at Telstra's claim that Next G service is better than CDMA.

Your local Federal member can pass on letters to the Minister ( I think ).

If Telstra pulls the wool over their eyes , CDMA will go at the end of January . CDMA will go eventually , but I think everyone should fight to make Telstra improve the Next G service until it is as good as the CDMA was .

Willie

AnswerID: 277663

Reply By: Member - Bentaxle - Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 16:25

Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 16:25
Davoe
From what I've been told both Next G and CDMA systems are using the same transmitting towers and as a result they are depleting each others signal and that reception won't improve until the CDMA network is fully shut down. It's a pity the powers that be at Telstra can't be more forth coming with the truth.
Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 277675

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 17:15

Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 17:15
next g is line of site while cdma is not...i dont think it has anything to do with cdmaVnext g signals interference
FollowupID: 541635

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 17:19

Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 17:19
Aren't they both on the the same frequency??
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 541637

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 17:31

Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 17:31
? how would i know...I dont work for telstar or any other mob fone co........and besides i only know about aircons that dont work.......lol lol lol

i didnt, no would not have thought so with both being different technologies etc etc bit like AM-UHF different techo and different frequencies....but as i said above i have no idea, i just made an assumption
FollowupID: 541638

Follow Up By: Member - Bentaxle - Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 17:53

Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 17:53
My info source works in the communications industry and who gleaned this info from a Telstra tech
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 541640

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 18:00

Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 18:00
I guess thats the point if they are both trying to use 850MHz then it seems reasonable to believe that they may interfere with each other to some degree???
Maybe a radio frequency expert can give us some more info??
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 541641

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 18:00

Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 18:00
NN is spot oni ts my biggestcomplaint while cdma was curtailed by hills you could ften get a signal down by the river etc Next G is knocked flat by the slightest inteuption to line of sight
FollowupID: 541642

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 18:25

Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 18:25
well blow me down (i think)..was i right ...for once?

FollowupID: 541646

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 22:51

Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 22:51
1. Both CDMA and NextG use digital modulation on the same frequency band so their propagation characteristics will be the same.

2. A CDMA base station will have say 20 channels operating simultaneously - these 20 conversations will not interfere with each other or suck power from each other. When converting a site to support NextG, some of the CDMA channels will be replaced with NextG channels, which similarly will not interfere with each other or suck power from each other.
FollowupID: 541687

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 23:36

Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 23:36
Nice theory mike unfortunatly in real life it just aint true
FollowupID: 541699

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Friday, Dec 21, 2007 at 06:12

Friday, Dec 21, 2007 at 06:12
i was wrong ..again
its all dutch to me Mike....how do they have more than one conversation on the same fequency?.....no dont tell me i dont want to know....yes i do ...but what and how ever its done i wont be able to understand
FollowupID: 541708

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Friday, Dec 21, 2007 at 09:14

Friday, Dec 21, 2007 at 09:14
"Nice theory mike unfortunatly in real life it just aint true"

- after 35 years in radio engineering, I know what I prefer to believe.
FollowupID: 541726

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Friday, Dec 21, 2007 at 12:02

Friday, Dec 21, 2007 at 12:02
I dont dought your credentials im just saying in real life the 2 networks dont show the same characteristics. as ive said all along next G is much more line of sight than CDMA
Im just a layman as to the ins and outs of the why i dont know
FollowupID: 541761

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Friday, Dec 21, 2007 at 12:11

Friday, Dec 21, 2007 at 12:11
I'm just saying we have to be careful in trying to work out the cause of the problems.

If you have two phones on CDMA beside each other, one may have a good signal and the other may have no signal. It could be due to -
- differences in the phones.
- differences in the aerial
- differences in the aerial position - at these frequencies a small distance can make big difference in signal.

FollowupID: 541763

Follow Up By: Hughd - Friday, Dec 21, 2007 at 13:09

Friday, Dec 21, 2007 at 13:09
NextG is a UMTS service. It actually uses a wideband version of CDMA in the 850MHz band and GSM in the higher frequencies. As a result is is technically more capable and more "available" than either CDMA or GSM.
However, it is a relatively new technology and there are issues with handsets in particular. I do not know how much of the problem is the need for Telstra to free up capacity by closing down CDMA, but it must certainly contribute.

I would be interested in comments of users of the Samsung A411 or A412. Some have said it is the best of the blue ticks, but I have not been able to compare.
FollowupID: 541768

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Friday, Dec 21, 2007 at 13:54

Friday, Dec 21, 2007 at 13:54
Just on that coment that next g is more available than either of the other networks
Here is a next G phone roaming to gsm with 3 bars because there is insufficient next g
I have had problems with patchy reception then the phone has roamed to GSM with perfect reception
even my partners daughter who has zero intrst in this kind of discussion made the coment when her freinds GSM phone has no reception neither does her next G .
i like this photo because it really says it all people can give an opinion but here is the fact on the realitys of next g capability

FollowupID: 541775

Reply By: Peter 2 - Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 16:36

Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 16:36
Ha Ha, truth is a rare commodity at the Big T I suspect, more about snow and con jobs or better still pass the buck.
AnswerID: 277678

Reply By: Zodarp - Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 17:34

Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 17:34
Yes you are expecting way too much from telstra. I am sick of the whole changeover process. Too many lies and contradictions regarding a service designed not to provide a superior phone coverage but extra enhancements designed to extract as much money from the unsuspecting customer. Who asked for movies on line, video calls etc. not me. All I and my customers want is a reliable voice service.
Telstra want a 24 month contract so their competitors will have few customers when other carriers have their networks up and running.
It appears that most are complaining about the handsets telstra have to offer, perhaps if they made handsets available on a rental basis you would be in a better position to experiance the nextg networks performance without the outlay for a new , possibally dud, phone.

Regards Zodarp
AnswerID: 277684

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 23:16

Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 23:16
Absolutley spot on mate!!!. As a machine operater in all types

of different terrain, Next G has been a absolute con, No argument about it!!.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 541696

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 18:05

Thursday, Dec 20, 2007 at 18:05
As with anything new there is period of improvement to go through before the system will be fully opperational. Telstra have to talk this new technology up (tell lies about coverage) to convince people to change over but it's not until they have feedback from users that they will over time improve the system to at least match CDMA. Those in out of the way areas will of course have to wait the longest.
If you jumped in early yes you are expecting too much but if you change over at the last minute not only are you giving Telstra more time to improve the repeaters but there will be better handsets available as well.
In the Vic country areas I can say that just recently the nextG system seems to have improved conciderably, even better than CDMA in a few places.
Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 277687

Reply By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Friday, Dec 21, 2007 at 08:19

Friday, Dec 21, 2007 at 08:19
A few poles, a heap of wire and introduce Morse code into the education system.

A bit far fetched and futuristic I know...but...with the pace of technology these days....anything is possible....LOL.

Cheers....Lionel.
AnswerID: 277776

Reply By: PeterInSA - Friday, Dec 21, 2007 at 12:09

Friday, Dec 21, 2007 at 12:09
If CDMA is turned off at the end of Jan I will be looking at a Nokia 6120 with a Cradle/inductive Aerial for Cruiser/Hatch/Caravan ie 3 cradles to connect to external aerials. My research tells me that this combo is better than the LG 550, LG 500, ZTE 165 and Samsung 412, and I can buy insurance cover, don't know how much to cover the 2 year contract period.

However I am not happy with the inductive aerial and believe that Nokia will come up with a better unit in the medium future so I am buying old technology. Also not happy that some 6120's that are too hot to hold after 5 minutes talk and that the screens have problems if you keep them in a leather pouch on your belt.

I only want the unit to talk on and connect to my laptop and feel that Telstra has rushed into this without a good product lineup.

Peter
AnswerID: 277825

Reply By: Member - Bob I (WA) - Sunday, Dec 23, 2007 at 11:43

Sunday, Dec 23, 2007 at 11:43
Davoe, like you I have a LG500 that was replaced by TELStRA after a hell of a fight with them over the poor reception on the heap of rubbish they first sold me (over the phone). It wasn't until I dropped the lot in my local Federal Members lap and badgered the National Party (state branch), that things started to happen, calls from TELSTRA, ministers PA, National Party both State and Federal. Bingo, got the LG on a better deal and a antenna installed to boot. So keep kicking shins mate, now is a good time to do it. Have a look at this weeks Countryman 20/12/07 there is big story on the front page. I travel east from here to Kulin and further inland regularly, and there has only a marginal increase in service until you get near a main town or along a main route road like Gt East. Hwy or Albany Hwy and even then if you hit dip in the road or a valley out the signal goes.
AnswerID: 278090

Reply By: Member - Steve NT - Sunday, Dec 23, 2007 at 17:50

Sunday, Dec 23, 2007 at 17:50
AnswerID: 278134 Submitted: Sunday, Dec 23, 2007 at 17:10
Member - Steve NT replied:
Hey Austravel

I have just traveled from Jabiru, Kathrine, Three Ways, Mt Isa, Cloncurry, Normanton, Atherton,Cairns.

In total 2800km I have a LG 500 with an external arial, I had reception for all but 450/ 500 km I was more than impressed.

I had reception for up to 65/70 km out side Barkley Homestead, Normanton and places like that.

Cheers Steve.
Click Image to Enlarge
If a man speaks in forest and no woman hears him.
Is he still wrong?
My Members Page: Members Rig & Profile

I cut and pasted this from another thread.
AnswerID: 278136

Sponsored Links