My (planned) Great Big Adventure - Birdsville Desert and beyond

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 26, 2009 at 21:44
ThreadID: 71003 Views:4898 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Been to Birdsville three times, twice to the races, but all the time only driving by plane. This time, for the first time, I am taking the Bruiser with the Missus, her cousin and cousin's bloke for a three week loop. Looking forward to it BIG time... Cousin's bloke is an interesting guy - is one of those hard bitten NZ bushies who has been there and done that (talks about going on 6-week camps shooting deer in the Alps when he was a youngster...). Can't get enough of the Oz outback.

The plan so far. SY to Lightning Ridge (one of those places I never got to when I was flying), thence Birdsville. Taking 4 days to do that, arrive for the Birdsville Races (meeting a mate with his plane).

Once the hangover has worn off, take a short Sunday drive on the QAA line to Poeppel Corner (I will try to avoid the traffic jam out of BDV), thence the French Line to Lindsay Junction. From there head south on Knolls Track to Poolowanna Oil Well, Rig Road to Warburton Track, then north a little on the Birdsville Track. Pick up the track to Walkers Crossing then get into Innamincka.

From Innamincka, Metry Metry via the Old Strzelecki track, Cameron Corner, Tibooburra, White Cliffs and then a run for home via Wilcannia.

From BDV to SY - about 1.5 - 2 weeks.

Passes/Permits - SA Deserts Holiday Pass - any others needed? (NP&W???). Can any of these passes and additional maps be obtained from the Information Centre in Birdsville? From memory it is a pretty good setup there.

Anyone got any advice on places to see and things to do, please step in. And if what I am planning wont work, same.

Equipment: One modified LC105 (2" suspension, engine, 45l water tank mounted behind rear seat + additional drinking water, std fuel tanks (145 litres). Experienced sand driver, inexperienced desert driver though I have been reading up heaps and this forum has been invaluable. Quirk Autofridge and as we speak, additional _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx and enclosure with drop slide are being installed. PLB (GPS), laptop with Memory Map, coupla three GPSs (to be sure to be sure), standard maps. Scary first aid kit. Two spare batteries - aux battery and Thumper; spare fuel filter, alternator, radiator hoses; engine oil and ATF. Also a blow torch for the gas bottle, flux and solder for fixing a holed radiator - does not take much room and it is something I am capable of... fixing it that is. Good shovel, two compressors (underbonnet and a small backup). Tool kit (gotta watch what I take with me - got heaps of tools!)

Usual stuff - tents (Safari Dome and an OzTent RV3 - for shelter a Foxwing), camp oven, spare tyre, spare spare tyre, clothes for 3 seasons, tyre repair kits, beadbreaker, levers, tubes, patches and plugs. Air jack, base plate for car jack. Sandflag, UHF x 2 (nailed into the dash and portable - to be sure to be sure). Selection of snatch straps, shackles, tow straps and chains. Axe and pruning saw.

Somewhere in that lot we will find space for beer and wine, and maybe some food... (Have a Rhino Rack on top).

What I do NOT want to take if I can help it, unless otherwise advised: winch, highlift jack - instead I am looking at a Maxx Tracks or similar (bloody dear those things!). No jerries, or if I have to an empty 20 litre, filling only if the plan changes or something else happens...

Things to consider - sat phone (not likely), fuel range and fuel planning (I work on the wreck/tech diving principal: a third in, a third out and a third spare, so based on that half of the main tank into the desert and the other half of the main to the next fuel stop; the sub tank emergency only).

Any comment, criticism or otherwise gratefully taken

viz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BenDiD - Sunday, Jul 26, 2009 at 22:17

Sunday, Jul 26, 2009 at 22:17
Sounds like you have everything covered.

If you found the story of Burke & Wills interesting, the Dig Tree is definitely worth a look. A very serene place. The fact you can still see some of the blazes on the tree really makes it a special place and a literally living connection with the crossing.

Good Luck!
AnswerID: 376346

Reply By: Garbutt - Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 08:52

Monday, Jul 27, 2009 at 08:52
The Warburton crossing is still closed and may still be by race time, other than that it sounds a great trip.

AnswerID: 376371

Sponsored Links