Eulogy to Jim (<span class="highlight">Footloose</span>)

Submitted: Monday, Aug 03, 2009 at 12:24
ThreadID: 71180 Views:5223 Replies:11 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
G'day All,
This is a copy of Jim Potts' Eulogy taken from the Codan Group's page.

Regards
Stu

Hi all,

I have received the following copy of the eulogy for Jim's service from his family whom have asked that I pass it onto you all.
His funeral service will be held today at 3pm Brisbane time.

Eulogy

"Our family immigrated to Australia from England in 1956. As young kids we found this a strange place full of strange people with funny accents. (We came from Yorkshire and everybody sounded funny to us).

We lived in a hostel in Wollongong, south of Sydney in tin huts, we were Pome migrants (or 10 pound Poms). We came on a boat from the old country. During a discussion about immigration, Jim once told me we should think kindly of immigrants as "we were some of the original boat people to land here"

We eventually moved from the hostel to a place called Oak Flats and lived in old tents and a tiny caravan for more than a year while our dad built a house. It was a lifestyle none of us could have ever dreamed about, it was tough but at least it was warm and we loved it.

Somehow Jim fell in love at the age of 9, with not a girl but electronics. Jim had found a friend Kevin, who was a radio/TV technician. Whilst Kevin was a married man with a family, he adopted Jim ( at least we thought he must have because Jim was always in Kevin's workshop whenever Kevin was at home, nights and weekends.

This was the beginning of a lifelong interest in electronics communication and ammeter radio. Jim was a fabulous student and by the age of 11, he sat for the Australian Ammeter Technical Exam and passed with close to 100%.

Poor Jim, he was still 3 years below the legal age of a Ham Radio Operator. Totally unphased by this, Jim continued to visit Kevin's radio shack and by the age of 14 (when he was at last let loose on the World Ammeter Radio bands), he was a fully fledged television technician. Jim's interest in electronics continued and when he left school he studied at the Marconi School of Radio and TV in Sydney. A fully fledged Technician at the age of 18, Jim became Chief Technical Engineer at Channel 9, Orange NSW.

Jim's insatiable quest for knowledge continued when he decided to become a teacher and studied at the Wollongong Teachers' College. I think he was the only student ever, to go to class wearing a suit, tie and carrying a briefcase. It was in teachers' college in 1971 where he met and married his bride Jan. Jim and Jan had two children, Virginia and Mark and have been married 36 years. During his teaching years, Jim also attained a Masters Degree in Education.

Jan has always been an incredibly patient and supportive wife. She had to share Jim with his many, many friends around the world on the ever squawking radio. When Jim fitted radio into his 4WD and went looking for the highest mountain to transmit from, Jan stayed home with the kids, never complaining. (Well, not to me anyway).

Jim would take to anyone who had an interest in ammeter radio. We loved getting on the airwaves chanting CQ, CQ this is VK 4 BBG (Jim's the handle here.) I'm sure there were times when Jan thought she was married to a pile of flashing diodes, aerials, mounds of wires and the occasional smell of smoke, Surrounded by his two dogs, Jim was always in there, somewhere!

Jim's love of 4W driving was legendary. He travelled from the tip of Cape York to the southernmost coast of Western Australia and through the deserts on tracks that were often hard to find and always with his electronic communications equipment to stay in touch with the world and keep safe.

Jim would often go outback alone with his electronic friends; he just loved the challenge, danger and solitude of the great outback. I was privileged to travel the outback with Jim 3 years ago from east to west across the Never, Never Land. He was an incredible wealth of knowledge and experience and I will always cherish the memories we shared.

Jim was inspired by the outback. He wrote and published three novels, fictional stories wound into his real experiences on the track. The best known titles of Jim's work were "Son of a 10 Pound Pom" and "White Man's Dreaming", both which can be found in the National Library of Australia.

Not bad for a bloke who taught kids and lived in a world of diodes and transistors. Jim was quietly pleased with his literary achievements but was almost too embarrassed to talk about it.

Jim's electronics hobby was renting radio communication and satellite phones to people going bush. His message was simple: Keep in touch, keep safe, and make it easy to be found if you are in trouble. He was co-moderator of the Codan Outback Radio Group and a couple of other associated web sites.

Through his web sites, Jim stayed in touch with his many friends across Australia and New Zealand who found Jim an endless source of information and encouragement. I know they too will miss his wonderful funny sense of humor.

To best describe Jim, one would need a dictionary of superlatives.

He was a very humble man, a loving husband and father to his kids.

Jim was the most reliable, honest and caring person who valued friendship more than possessions.

A man who loved his family, animals and life and was loved by all who knew him.

Jim was not only our husband, dad, brother and uncle; he was and always will be, our best friend.

We love you Jim."
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Monday, Aug 03, 2009 at 15:27

Monday, Aug 03, 2009 at 15:27
G/Day Stu & Bob

We have just returned from a weekend away,
Just got on to the Exploroz Site to see how things are going and read your thread about Jim, I am deeply shocked and I can't express my feelings about what has occured, a Good Man Has Passed On, I was talking to Mrs Potts just over a week ago and she was upbeat about Jims progress, saying it was slow but improving day by day, (Jim Rest In Peace).

Darryl and Fay
AnswerID: 377381

Reply By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Monday, Aug 03, 2009 at 15:29

Monday, Aug 03, 2009 at 15:29
Thanks for that Stu

A gentleman at rest.
The rig

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 377383

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Monday, Aug 03, 2009 at 15:55

Monday, Aug 03, 2009 at 15:55
Thanks Stu and Bob. He was always a reasonable fellow, and great to meet. RIP Jim

John and Heather
AnswerID: 377391

Reply By: On Patrol & TONI - Monday, Aug 03, 2009 at 16:28

Monday, Aug 03, 2009 at 16:28
Thanks Stu & Bob
The world is a poorer place with his passing, but life moves on.
Good by mate.
AnswerID: 377392

Follow Up By: On Patrol & TONI - Monday, Aug 03, 2009 at 17:25

Monday, Aug 03, 2009 at 17:25
If Jim was 9yo at Wollongong hostel in Unanderra in 1956 he must have known my wife back then as she was 7yo and at Unanderra in 1956, and that hostel was not a huge place, and my wife says that they knew everyone there, but cannot now remember Jim specifically, good thing his interest was in radio's eh!!!, or I might not be married to "er indoors", Jim I'm bleep tered mate, LOL

I believe in the 6 degrees of separation theory, but this one seems to be just 1 degree of separation.

All in good fun, and knowing Jim, he would seen the funny side of this.
Colin.
FollowupID: 644753

Reply By: Steve - Monday, Aug 03, 2009 at 17:04

Monday, Aug 03, 2009 at 17:04
never met or knew the bloke but am familiar with his posts here over the years. Seemed a nice fella. Am quite shocked at the sudden-ness of this. You never know the minute.

RIP Jim. You'll be missed on here as well as by you nearest and dearest.
AnswerID: 377397

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Monday, Aug 03, 2009 at 20:59

Monday, Aug 03, 2009 at 20:59
Farewell and RIP Footy, I enjoyed his posts too. I reckon my Dad (who's not long for this world) exchanged a few CQ's and 73's with Footy over the years as a "ham" amatuer radio operator.
AnswerID: 377429

Reply By: Kiwi and Grenade - Thursday, Aug 06, 2009 at 09:51

Thursday, Aug 06, 2009 at 09:51
thanks Stu.
Footy sure will be missed!
AnswerID: 377778

Reply By: 98Jack - Thursday, Aug 06, 2009 at 22:55

Thursday, Aug 06, 2009 at 22:55
Didn't know Footloose but had seen a few of his entries. The things you find out when it's too late. I'm a Potts too, and my ancestor came from Harogate in Yorkshire on the second fleet.

If anyone knew Footloose personally, I would be interested in corresponding with his wife about his family history, we may be connected somewhere along the line.

I can be contacted via email: barrynsue@westnet.com.au

My sincere sympathies to his wife

Barry
AnswerID: 377892

Reply By: Gramps - Friday, Aug 07, 2009 at 23:03

Friday, Aug 07, 2009 at 23:03
RIP Footy. You will definitely be missed by all who knew of you.

AnswerID: 378096

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 23:43

Saturday, Aug 08, 2009 at 23:43
What he said.
FollowupID: 645571

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Thursday, Aug 13, 2009 at 23:39

Thursday, Aug 13, 2009 at 23:39
Stu & "Bob"

You maybe able to help, Poor old Jim still has a Face book account.

Image Could Not Be Found

i was sorry to hear about Jim as well.

Regards

Richard
AnswerID: 378918

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Friday, Aug 14, 2009 at 16:41

Friday, Aug 14, 2009 at 16:41
If you actually read the current status of Jim Potts on Facebook, you would see that his daughter has posted that the family will be removing his Facebook Profile in the near future.

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 646381

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Friday, Aug 14, 2009 at 17:29

Friday, Aug 14, 2009 at 17:29
Sir

I can't do that, as he was not mt Friend,

Cheers

Richard
FollowupID: 646388

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Friday, Aug 14, 2009 at 18:47

Friday, Aug 14, 2009 at 18:47
Thanks

Apology accepted

Cheers

Richard
FollowupID: 646396

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Friday, Aug 14, 2009 at 18:55

Friday, Aug 14, 2009 at 18:55
What is there to apologise for??

You have been told that the family has his Facebook profile being taken care of.
Something you seemed to want Stu and Bob to do.
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 646399

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Friday, Aug 14, 2009 at 19:46

Friday, Aug 14, 2009 at 19:46
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Inappropriate Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 646409

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Friday, Aug 14, 2009 at 20:01

Friday, Aug 14, 2009 at 20:01
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Inappropriate Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 646413

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Friday, Aug 14, 2009 at 20:11

Friday, Aug 14, 2009 at 20:11
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Personal Attacks Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 646418

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Friday, Aug 14, 2009 at 20:22

Friday, Aug 14, 2009 at 20:22
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Personal Attacks Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 646420

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Friday, Aug 14, 2009 at 20:28

Friday, Aug 14, 2009 at 20:28

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 646421

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Friday, Aug 14, 2009 at 21:17

Friday, Aug 14, 2009 at 21:17
Thanks Kev, I will keep that in mind.

Cheers

Richard
FollowupID: 646437

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Friday, Aug 14, 2009 at 07:27

Friday, Aug 14, 2009 at 07:27
Stu,

Thanks for sharing and RIP Jim.
Never met or knew the man apart from his posts on EO and I'm all the poorer for it.
AnswerID: 378931

Sponsored Links