Oodnadatta Track

Hi All, we are going to the territory, late June early July. Coming back along the Oodnadatta Track. Will be taking the caravan, wondering if anyone has any tips for our trip. Think we will be taking 4 days for the trip. Does anyone have any good camping spots and sites to see. Have heard about hot springs. Any advice will be greatly welcome.

Harry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: AnneMarie - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 13:28

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 13:28
Hi Harry

Only 4 days!? Doesn't seem like nearly enough to see many of the sights along the track. :)

We too will be around that area late June on route to Lake Eyre South from the Central Coast. Should be a great trip! Be sure to bring warm clothes!

For free and budget camping spots and local sightseeing spots, I can recommend the 'bible', Camps Australia Wide 5th Edition and maybe also the Great Desert Tracks of Australia.

Have a safe and fun trip!

Cheers,
Anne-Marie
AnswerID: 419379

Follow Up By: Member - Harry H (SA) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 13:52

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 13:52
Thanks Anne-Marie, we are going to the camel cup in Alice on the 10th and then going home via Ayres Rock we have a total of 8 days to get home. Any idaes about climbing the rock? Have heard that if you get there early (before they close it due to high wind) is the best way to go. Do you have any ideas?

Already have the book and maps you mention.
Cheers
Harry
FollowupID: 689541

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 14:59

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 14:59
Hi Harry,

I'm afraid I am the wrong person to ask about climbing Uluru! Apart from not being good with heights, I choose to respect the wishes of the traditional owners of this magnificent monolith NOT to climb Uluru (particularly women) and view it from afar in all its glory, from all sides or walk/drive around it. Personally, I fail to see the point of climbing up this sacred Aboriginal place - all you see from the top is beautiful but flat landscape.

Each his to his own, but that's my personal opinion, not to climb the rock. When Annie and I were there, we sat and watched the sunset set over the rock - amazing colours!

Cheers and have a safe trip,
Anne-Marie
FollowupID: 689554

Follow Up By: Crackles - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 19:59

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 19:59
Gaday Harry. 4 days will give you a great taste of what the track has to offer including the history of the Gahn, thermal ponds, outback pubs & of course Lake Eyre. Westprint maps have a great guide which covers it all including the facilities & options for camping.
As for climbing Eyres Rock, you are correct that often it's best to get up early before the wind close's it.
Anne once you've got to the summit you'll know what the point of climbing it is :-) As for the top of the rock being sacred well that appears to be a new idea someone come up with in the past few years as the traditional owners of old had no issue at all with climbing it, in fact they couldn't understand why anyone would want to go up as there was no water, food or shelter on top making it pointless to them. While the climb is open & the owners are taking your money, clearly they are happy enough with you doing it.
Have fun,
Cheers Craig...................
FollowupID: 689598

Follow Up By: AnneMarie - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 17:38

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 17:38
Craig, I don't believe the traditional owners get very much, it ANY, of the money generated from tourists who visit Uluru... but the tour operators do.

You will find interesting information on this Government site - http://www.environment.gov.au/parks/uluru/visitor-activities/do-not-climb.html

When I was there last June, there was one idiot who choose to go against National park rules and the wishes of the traditional owners - he climbed Uluru very late and was still there at sunset, flashing his camera back at all of us watching the sunset. It's this kind of irresponsible behaviour that results in other people risking their lives, should they have to go out there and rescue him or retrieve his body!!

The woman next to us in the car-park told us it was possibly someone camped next to them in the caravan park who had been bragging to them earlier in the day that he was going to climb up there late and stay after dark! IDIOT!

OK... enough said!! ;o)

Cheers,
Anne-Marie

FollowupID: 689740

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 13:34

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 13:34
The hot spa (ie hot spring) at Coward Springs is indeed one of many highlights along the OT. Not to be confused with Mound Springs (definitely not for swimming) which are another highlight.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 419381

Reply By: Navigator 1 (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 14:07

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 14:07
Hi Harry, Dont forget to check out all the information in the Treks section on the Oodnadatta Track.

You can also read an account of our travels in this area in Our Blog, Part 2.

Enjoy your trip,
Rob
The outback calls

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 419386

Follow Up By: Member - Harry H (SA) - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 07:52

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 07:52
Will be reading your Blog. Have a good time and enjoy.
Harry
FollowupID: 689658

Reply By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 18:42

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 18:42
Did the ODT mid May. Road conditions very good. Some loose gravel and many dips in the road. Take care on the dips as a few of them are sharper then they look.

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

The Bridge just south of William Creek is a good camp spot.

Diesel was 1.89 CPL at William Creek

Enjoy your Trip
AnswerID: 419417

Follow Up By: Member - Harry H (SA) - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 07:55

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 07:55
Thanks Wayne, will fkeep a lookuot for the bridge.
Harry
FollowupID: 689659

Follow Up By: pmk03 - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 09:19

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 09:19
G'Day,

Just a note...... If the Bridge you are mentioning its the one you have pictured it's actually just south of Oodnadatta. Called "Algebuckina Bridge"
Might help you find this great camp spot.......
PMK
FollowupID: 689666

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 16:47

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 16:47
oops!!!! you are correct South of Oodnadatta. Did not write the name as without a map I had no hope of spelling it correctly LOL and spell check was no help at all.
FollowupID: 689732

Follow Up By: pmk03 - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 22:07

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 22:07
Great Pics anyway............. I am heading up that way again in July your pics have me hanging to get going..... Can't wait!
PMK
FollowupID: 689767

Follow Up By: Member - Harry H (SA) - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 08:17

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 08:17
Good day PMK. We will be doing the ODT from 12 july till the 17July. Be great to catchup! Never been there before sooooo looking forward to it. 20 days till we leave for the NT.
Cheers
Harry
FollowupID: 689795

Follow Up By: pmk03 - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 08:51

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 08:51
G'Day Harry, Wouldn't mind catching up with fellow travellers, but I won't be leaving Melb until the 17th so will miss you.
Have a great trip anyway...... There's some great land & History out there.

Copy this into your browser & have a look for some extra info on the trip:
http://www.southaustralia.com/TheLivingOodnadattaTrack.aspx
There is commentry on the features of the Oodnadatta Track

PMK
FollowupID: 689800

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 07:06

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 07:06
Harry,

We only travelled as far as William Creek and turned for Coober Pedy this year and the road was fine. As said about the camping and sites.

Another good site is the Old Peake Ruins but you would really battle to get a caravan in there. You could detach it before driving in for a look. The same goes for Dalhousie Springs although technically you need a Desert Parks Pass.

The Painted Desert out from Oodnadatta is also spectacular and on good dirt.
AnswerID: 419473

Reply By: Member - Jan Z (QLD) - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 12:33

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 12:33
Hi Harry, enjoy your trip. Have just returned from out there. You can't pick the weather, but if not wet, all roads are good. Towing a van, I can recommend the little van park at Lyndhurst - even has grass. If you can fit it in, Coward Springs is a bonus with the hot springs and try to see the Painted Desert. All the best, Jan
Couldn't ask for any better!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 419516

Follow Up By: Member - Harry H (SA) - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 08:22

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 08:22
Thanks Jan Z. Hope we have enough time. My wife has Coward springs high on her list. The painted desert seems a worth while diversion as is the bridge just south of Oodnadatta. So much to do so little time.
Cheers
Harry
FollowupID: 689796

Sponsored Links