<span class="highlight">Pyrenees</span> Gathering report

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 14, 2010 at 18:26
ThreadID: 82495 Views:3446 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, I must be getting old but I cant find in the trips/gatherings page wher to add in the trip treport, I am SURE it USED to be there somewhere.... Anyhow here it is:

This years Pyrenees Gathering was a really well supported affair, with a few extra surprises thrown in.

The Friday evening saw most turn up well before daylight snuck behind the sky. We also had Mick O turn up in his well prepared V8 Toyota although HeatherR was warned not to look out the window at any time of the night! Lots of new members that I had not met yet, and it was good fun catching up with them as well as the other great friends made thru EO.

Friday night around the campfire was a great affair, with Mr Mad Cowz doing the warmup for the main event which was a very relaxed explanation of the plan for the weekend and that set the tone for the whole weekend.

Saturday started early and although it was very early for some, we setoff later than normal and drove up North Glenpatrick track, and wasn’t that a test of man and machine. Our newcomer AndrewB just smiled as her drove past and up the quite gnarly hill, as Muzbry was heard to say, this hill was a sphincter tightener. The recent storms approx. a week ago had deposited many trees across tracks and we drove around lots of them. After safely negotiating that and regrouping at the top on the helipad, we ventured around and down New Emery track back to base for lunch, where we found that Mandrake had turned up! Great chance to see some solar panels and setups.

Unmember Lucy finally arrived, officially redefining the term “late” and managed to faff about setting up for an interminable period while we had our lunch. After a lovely relaxed lunch we headed off (umm late – I mean relaxed - again) back up Old Emery track and down Mill track and turned right at the bottom along an unnamed track which wends its way along a creek, there we encountered not one, not two but four huge trees across the track at varying distances, and as we crested a particularly tough bit faced off number 5 only to see a huge clutch of trees further up followed by three others within sight. Whilst cutting this one off the track, two intrepid scouts took to the track on foot and came back breathless and weary with the joyful words “Theres more of them around the corner too!!” OK time to turn around, which was not such an easy thing to do on this track. We picked our way back to camp and after a smile and a sit down, and seeing that Eric Experience had turned up also we got the GPS comp into full swing. Strategies varied from the highly questionable “Drop the pen from 1.4m and circle the result to some people who actually know how to read and interpret a GPS. Two entries were EXACTLY correct – well done Murray and Peter!

The Saturday campfire was wonderful fun. HeatherR ran a trivia competition with JohnR dismally failing on his knowledge of Australia and all our knowledge increasing, especially the information of the Red Haired Nut Cracker, a recent inhabitant of Canberra. The festivities concluded with a raffle draw and a standing on one leg competition for the kids which went on much linger than the organiser expected even tho Little Wez tried to knock everyone down!

Another quick drive around Sunday and back for lunch and wave everyone goodbye for another year. A nice donation to the Glenpatrick Reserve Committee and when a short drive home!

Thanx to all who came along and enjoyed what I reckon is the best weekend of the year!

Major Prize GPS Comp - Lifetime membership and membership package - MurrayR
Runner up - PeterB (newcomer) - Ironman LED light
Guess the washers in the Box Quiz - WATCH THIS FORUM FOR WINNER
EO Shirt - Trivia Quiz Prize - MurrayR (yes I know - lucky guy eh?)
EO Shirt - Raffle Prize - CaseyB (young-'un)
EO Shirt - Raffle Prize – Mr Al (of Al&Mrs Al fame)
EO Stubby pack - HeatherR - (old-'un)
EO Stubby pack - WilliamR (young-'un)

FYI the other winners were:
Dirtiest Engine – JakeB (Part of Oldspark family)
Water Tank Refiller extraordinaire - Marcus T
Most Enthusiastic newcomer - GeoffS
Longest Setup – UnMember Lucy
Newcomer "I'm sure it'll be alright" - Andrew and Donna B

Cya next year!!

GWBonz
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Nov 14, 2010 at 18:55

Sunday, Nov 14, 2010 at 18:55
Bonz,

It has been removed and you either create a blog or a new thread :)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 435977

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Nov 14, 2010 at 20:14

Sunday, Nov 14, 2010 at 20:14
Ahhh so this would be a new thread!
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 707184

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Nov 14, 2010 at 20:16

Sunday, Nov 14, 2010 at 20:16
It isn't new anymore as there is a reply hehehehehe

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 707185

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Sunday, Nov 14, 2010 at 20:55

Sunday, Nov 14, 2010 at 20:55
Bonz,
It is meant to go in the blogs as I have a project to link the blog entry to the trip & gathering alas more tasks than time - but please make a copy in your blog and when I get it sorted we can update it.
David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 707196

Reply By: Who was that again? (Vic) - Sunday, Nov 14, 2010 at 21:44

Sunday, Nov 14, 2010 at 21:44
Bonz, EO readers should be told about the shocking rate of inflation in your shopping intentions.

Bonz took Mrs Bonz shopping in Ballarat for a fridge slide. One of those devices that can cope with not having to have steps to see into fridges and keep the back of the car orderly. One could expect an outside cost of perhaps $500 or so, to keep Mrs Bonz happy.

Well, they arrived in camp with a new Jayco Swan didn't they. No fridge slide yet, but the Jayco has a three way in it that is easier to get food into and comfortable to boot.

Was it spontaneous? Umm, that one can't be sure.
AnswerID: 436005

Follow Up By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Sunday, Nov 14, 2010 at 22:19

Sunday, Nov 14, 2010 at 22:19
You still have to get up the steps to see in the fridge in one of them Jaycos don't you John?

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 707212

Follow Up By: Who was that again? (Vic) - Sunday, Nov 14, 2010 at 22:29

Sunday, Nov 14, 2010 at 22:29
Hi Dave, I didn't get a look in the Jayco, but I think you are right. Perhaps he bought it for the steps. Hope Lady Nora is well too mate.
FollowupID: 707213

Follow Up By: Mad Cowz (VIC) - Monday, Nov 15, 2010 at 23:35

Monday, Nov 15, 2010 at 23:35
Bonz was heard to say "nah, can't afford a fridge slide now"
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 707309

Sponsored Links