<span class="highlight">Snorkel</span>

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 16:58
ThreadID: 84971 Views:12506 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 2007 "100 series" Landcruiser Turbo Diesel and i am contemplating fitting a snorkel. Whereas I understand a snorkel is apparently used when going through water crossings and very dusty roads, but that is not the reason why i want one.
I have heard of unsubstantiated claims of better fuel consumption and more torque, when a snorkel is fitted for everyday use and I am specifically referring to installing a snorkel for towing my 3 ton van. Apparently turbo diesels are supposed to run better when the temp is very cold and cold air is being forced through the snorkel. Is there any one out there that can help with technical advice and whether there really is benefits in mileage and torque when towing.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kimba10 - Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 18:05

Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 18:05
All I can comment on is I have had three 4wd's with snorkels and there has been no difference in economy on any, 2 diesels 1 petrol, and to be honest the 1kz (diesel) prado I reckon didnt go as well with snorkel fitted. I put them on purely for water reasons not even dust so must. I have 120 prado petrol and will be getting snorkel fitted to it purely as with the factory mounted soverign (spelling) bullbar the way they cut the plastic inner guard to suit the bullbar acts like a scoop and drives the water straight up to the air intake under the guard. The only thing I gained slightly was some power from extractors fitted to the 2.8D hilux but they were fitted prior to snorkel. I was told that most snorkels only work when doing 80k or more, have no idea if this is true or pub talk but I certainly didnt notice any fuel economy gains. Regards Steve
AnswerID: 448105

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 19:47

Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 19:47
Mally,

My on-board computer tells a different story.
I fitted a Snorkel to my turbo diesel Colorado and seemed to notice a slightly more responsive engine.
The fuel consumption I am getting is 8.5l/100km on the open road towing a camper trailer which is more than 1.0/100km better than before the snorkel was fitted.

When you think about it, the normal air intake is on the inside of the mudguard.
Having the air intake up at roof level has to be better with a cleaner air entering the air intake filter.

I fitted the snorkel for two reasons.
Water intake to a diesel is terminal to an engine.
Dust intake, even with an air filter, must be also detrimental to engine wear.

My intent is to keep my vehicle for the longer term and an investment in a snorkel was an easy decision to make.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 448113

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 20:21

Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 20:21
I have a ScanguageII on my 200 series cruiser and can measure the inlet air temp post the turbo. Prior to the snorkel, it was a consistent 8-10C higher than ambient temp. After fitting the snorkel, the temp was now only 4-6C above ambient. This will have a marginal effect on power due to the slightly cooler inlet temp, though I fitted mine for the dust/water advantages with cooler temps a bonus.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 448120

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 21:04

Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 21:04
Fuel consumption and performance benefits are pretty much zero on your HDJ100. So there's no point in you fitting asnorkel for the reasons you give.

Normally aspirated diesels on the other hand are more likely to see a benefit.

If you want to see a more detailed discussion about snorkels and air intake modifications on 100series Cruisers , then log onto LCOOL.

AnswerID: 448125

Reply By: AGNI4x4 - Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 21:48

Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 21:48
Clean cooler intake air will always yield a better result ................... it's called physics. How much better result is the question.
It's also very nice to know that as your nose tips into the river as you enter a river crossing that your motor is not about to become a water pump. The gains can be questioned in a book but there really isn't a negative for fitting one.
AnswerID: 448134

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 09:23

Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 09:23
The effect varies a lot between vehicles and can be negative on some vehicles.

95series TD Prados typically use 0.5-1 L/100k MORE diesel after you fit a snorkel.
Why? The standard air intake is shorter and better designed than the common snorkels. Air is directed from behind the LH headlight into the LH mudguard and this pressurises the space in the mudguard where the air is drawn. The snorkel has at least two 90 degree bends and is a metre longer than the standard intake.
There is no significant air ram effect because the top has 4 water bleed holes and the air cleaner box has two rubber valves in the base to let out water (and air!).
And any difference in temperature and pressure is made insignificant by the turbo.

I suspect thats why normally aspirated diesels may see some improvement and turbo diesels are unlikely to see improvement.

Reputable brands such as Safari and Airtec make no claims regarding improvements in fuel consumption or performance. That's because on most vehicles there are none.
FollowupID: 720512

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 15:09

Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 15:09
Phil, I agree with your comments on the prado (hence my reply above) I dont think my prado went as good with the snorkel fitted, seemed to lack some puff at higher speeds then when I didnt have it fitted. My fuel usage seem to go from 10.2 L per 100 to over 11's freeway driving and around town 13's to mid 14's. It seemed like it was having to suck harder to pull the air through. Your comments about the bends etc make sense. Regards Steve
FollowupID: 720531

Reply By: rumpig - Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 22:26

Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 22:26
what sort of exhaust system comes on a factory turbo vehicle (assuming that's what it is)?
i know when i changed to a 3" Beaudesert Exhausts system on my vehicle after fitting an aftermarket turbo, the difference was amazing. i'd assume the factory turbo version probably has a different exhaust system to the 1HZ versions (though could be wrong here), but it's probably just as badly designed as the 1HZ version anyway. so fitting a 3" system like i have may give the results your chasing more so then a snorkel would?
AnswerID: 448141

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 08:52

Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 08:52
HDJ100 (Factory TD) comes with a better exhaust than the 1Hz, but unfortunately has a cat converter. If the cat converter is blocked by soot, then you'll see a difference with the Beaudesert exhaust, but if the cat converter is OK, then the difference is minor, and not noticeable when driving normally.
FollowupID: 720510

Reply By: Snoopyone - Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 22:30

Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 22:30
Mine had one on it when I got it and I get the same figures as those who don't have one.

Methinks the right foot governs fuel consumption more than a snorkel.

Also travelling at over 90 kph when towing will do more to ruin figures than anything else.

Ambient wont be "very cold" on lots of days anyway especially like it was in the west when days were up over 40 when we were towing nearly 3t.

Didn't seem to alter figures much either.

AnswerID: 448142

Follow Up By: Snoopyone - Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 22:33

Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 22:33
After writing this I noticed the above

I agree with reply.

A 3" exhaust mandrel exhaust will give you far more benefit than a snorkel, by a country mile.
Did on mine anyway.

FollowupID: 720486

Follow Up By: Andrew(WA) - Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 01:24

Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 01:24
I 2nd that. And if you haven't already got a chip in it, get one of those too. Much better response in lower rev range.
FollowupID: 720500

Reply By: AGNI4x4 - Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 06:53

Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 06:53
I would have to agree with the above also .................. the reasons for fitting a chip and a snorkel are two complete different things. A snorkel is fitted primarily for clean air and prevention of water ingress to motor, any performance gains by doing so (if any) are purely a bonus so to speak. So if you want to fit a snorkel for it's prime reason for having one ok, to fit one purely for performance then probably not.
AnswerID: 448155

Reply By: hotfishez - Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 13:29

Monday, Mar 14, 2011 at 13:29
I fitted a snorkel to my HDJ100, clean cold air intake great, mild performance increase and fuel consumption went up on par with the performance increase. I will be taking it off if I ever get the chance, I dont hit the dirt any more so I dont have the need for it. Start with a 3" exhaust and chip, that is power up enough for me.
AnswerID: 448176

Sponsored Links