Do You think its time to Divide Whatever!! into different sections on this for

Submitted: Friday, Jul 22, 2011 at 21:39
ThreadID: 87723 Views:4179 Replies:12 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
I can remember when it took two days for the first page to disappear!!,...Nowi Its a continuious stream of much the same thing pouring in ,
Nothing wrong with this, But!! its got to get to a saturation point, where different topics need to be in a different collumn.......Lol.... The Old Farts will know what i mean.

Cheers Axle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Friday, Jul 22, 2011 at 22:35

Friday, Jul 22, 2011 at 22:35
Maybe they could start with the often over asked ones....

1) Whats the best 4x4 to buy?
2) Whats the best fridge to buy?
3) Anyone fitted dual batteries?
4) Whats the best battery to buy?
5) Do I need?
6) Has anybody used XXXXX?
7) Whats the best way to go?
8) Are XXXXX any good?
9) What are the road conditions going to be like in 3 months time?
10) This might be a stupid question.
AnswerID: 460659

Follow Up By: Dave(NSW) - Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 01:45

Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 01:45
11) should I get a Cruiser with BFG tires or a 3lt Patrol with Cooper tires. LOL
GU RULES!!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 734363

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 07:42

Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 07:42
11) should I get a Cruiser with BFG tires or a 3lt Patrol with Cooper tires...

and should I put an engle or Waeco in it?

FollowupID: 734365

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 09:00

Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 09:00
Can someone point me in the direction of the XXXXX that Olcoolone mentioned? Sounds like extra strong Queensland beer!!!! Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

FollowupID: 734375

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh - Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 09:15

Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 09:15
Boobook,
That would depend on whether or not you were towing a camper trailer or a Caravan I guess.
Now if you had mentioned you were tenting, that's a different story altogether.
But have you decided what 4wd you are going to buy yet, because you haven't mentioned how many will be in your party, Adults only or will there be rug rats and of what age.
And lets not forget the type of fridge you are after will depend on what direction you will be traveling around the country, Waeco's go clockwise and Engle's go anti-clockwise..
I've probably missed a few things, but I'm sure someone will let me know.

FollowupID: 734378

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 10:47

Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 10:47
Michael according to Queen-slanders the stuff they call BEER is spelt with 4 X'ers, anything with more then 4 letters they don't understand.

Take Rugby or Footy for example...... the Queen-slanders have no idea, now if it was called Rugb or Foot they might have a winning chance.
FollowupID: 734384

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 06:49

Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 06:49
I have been on many other forum sites as has everybody else. The problem with all the other sites is that everything is pigeon holed and you have to go searching for the most recent topic and you only find that by looking at dates on posts. Following a conversation on them is like watching grass grow in winter time.

This may contribute to their lack of popularity when it comes to general topics of conversation.

You have seen them, last post was 3 weeks ago, or you wait 2 months for a reply.

I would suggest that this site is not "popular for no good reason".

Using the old addage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" never applied more than to this site.

It is immediate and current and that is what makes it popular.

You rarely see comments on other forums, or fora if you prefer, like "Wow, the depth of knowledge and the quick response to questions on this site is amazing"

Just my thoughts, observations and opinions.

Cheers, Bruce
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 460663

Follow Up By: Big Woody - Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 07:29

Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 07:29
I agree totally with Bruce's comments.

This site is unique in its format and much quicker to catch up on the latest posts.

Other forums require working your way into the depths of different topics only to find nothing and then backtracking your way out again. Very time consuming and easy to miss things.

Time is valuable to most people and the format of this forum is the main reason I have visited here twice each day for over 7 years.

David and Michelle have won national awards for this site as one of the best in Australia. The Exploroz site is much more than a forum and the format must appeal to the majority of users for it to remain a leading site for so long.

Cheers,
Brett
FollowupID: 734364

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 08:00

Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 08:00
+1
if it aint broke..dont fix it

cheers
FollowupID: 734366

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 08:46

Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 08:46
The Cape Yorker Forum has a button at the top of the screen "New Posts" and only the post that have been put us since the last time you visited the forum will show when you click on this page. I find this pretty useful as being a frequent visitor/member of many forums I don't have the time to go searching.
FollowupID: 734371

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 08:50

Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 08:50
...also The Navara Forum is divided into topic areas and you can readily see "new posts" as a yellow light come on against the particular forum page and a highlighted link to the last thread entry is also available on the front page. There are lots of designs and frankly this one works for me as much as any of the others but I will say that searching is somewhat easier on the Navara Forum.
FollowupID: 734372

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 15:05

Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 15:05
The Caravaners Forum is split into subjects and also has a View New Posts button which shows not only the latest posted topic but the latest post in that topic. There is also a search function, as there is in this forum.
FollowupID: 734405

Follow Up By: Crackles - Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 18:20

Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 18:20
"Wow, the depth of knowledge and the quick response to questions on this site is amazing"
Compared to a few years back I reckon the depth of knowledge here has actually slipped a bit. Moderation & repetition has seen many experienced people shift elsewhere or just sit on the side & are key reasons replies & follow-ups are reduced. Lively debate on contentious topics too is almost non existent with answers so often in the vain of political correctness or statements in blogs.
Yes the response here is quick but so often that is just one of the many site sponsors peddling their wares.
While a complete rehash could bring many benefits, we all come here knowing the system & at the end of the day you must understand so many parts of this site including the Forum are structured to sell product, membership & services.
Cheers Craig.............
Too contentious? ;-)
FollowupID: 734417

Follow Up By: DOEY- Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 19:15

Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 19:15
I have to agree. This unique forum style of just one continuous board with seperate threads is easy to navigate. However if you are looking for a particular topic it can sometimes be hard to find using the search function. The search function takes a bit of getting used to but it is thorough which is handy.
Such forums like the caravanners forum, the new but complex Gone Bush Forum ,pradopoint and Nissan Patrol etc etc all have their good points and the break down of categories does simplfy things. But as Exploroz is a general discussion resorce forum, it really only needs the one board of threads.
This forum is so popular for a reason- another vote for if its not broke dont fix!

enjoy the rest of your weekend people!
FollowupID: 734420

Reply By: blue one - Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 07:35

Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 07:35
Ah well we all have to start somewhere. I don't mind saying Engel, 4.2 diesel, BFG all the time. lol
AnswerID: 460665

Follow Up By: Member Al (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 08:11

Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 08:11
Yair, but the Coopers will last longer! lol

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 734368

Follow Up By: Kev - Member - Wynnum - Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 08:40

Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 08:40
Hi Blue,
I agree, everyone has to start somewhere.
Our explorers crossed Aus. in Model T's imagine if they refused to pass on their knowledge to us who think that we are invincible because we do it in a modern 4WD.
I reckon that if you don't wish to participate in a thread - don't.

Al,
Speaking of Coopers I see that they now have an AT3 which looks pretty impressive.

Kev
FollowupID: 734370

Reply By: Member Al (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 08:16

Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 08:16
This is more than a forum. It's a family. Just like a family, we all talk at once, help each other out, sometimes say the wrong thing but get forgiven, and occasionally get peed-off with someone.

Nah, leave it alone, it's great.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 460668

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 08:55

Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 08:55
I think most of the forums have that feel about them Al....whether it is 4WDriving, caravaning, fishing, specific marque whatever it is usually only the school holiday periods where you get the more that frequent troll. I find ExplorOx, CapeYorker and Navara.Asia to be the most helpful.....patrol4x4 was also helpful when I had the patrol. I'm guessing that the 'cruiser folks also get a lot of benefit from LCOOL as would the Prado and Pathy folk from Pradopoint and Pathfinder forums respectively.
FollowupID: 734373

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 09:30

Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 09:30
Hi Allan,

I kind of agree with you, but it is not the close knit family it once was before over moderation became the norm.

Still a reasonable forum to belong to and participate in, but it lacks the close community spirit ExplorOz once was.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 734380

Reply By: Member - Jack - Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 08:19

Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 08:19
Why? It's fine as it is. I can easily skip past the stuff I have no interest in and just look at subjects of interest to me. As many others have said, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. I like it the way it is.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 460669

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 08:57

Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 08:57
Leave it as it is please! Would be a backward step IMHO.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 460673

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 11:54

Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 11:54
now that would be SOOOOO easy to fix.......

.... TWO forums .....
#1 ... MEMBERS only .... Members ONLY can post, reply and follow up, non members can read only .. if a member is found to be consistantly trolling, disrupting or peeing off other member they will be taken off and placed in the Non Members section ..
#2 ... NON members ..... both members and non members can access all areas .... still moderated...

#1 .. will have comps, discounts ect that members only can enjoy, access ect
#2 .. will have specific things to attract them to becoming fully paid up members ....

Personally i dont think there is enough benifit at the moment in being a member, i am both a personal and business member yet if i want to for instance run an ad for workers i have to pay an additional amount and i can not even do it as a "post" to discuss it as it will get moderated even as a paid up member in both areas ...
Splitting it up would give businesses the chance to offer benifits, access ect to deals for members only, those that dont want to part with the very small amount dont have to, but then at least those that do get value for money, i also think the membership should double, yep double, some would complain but they do at the amount it is now and would if it was half that ....
Cheers
Joe
AnswerID: 460692

Follow Up By: Life Member - esarby (NSW) - Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 12:20

Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 12:20
Joe n Mel n Kids.

I agree with your point of doubling the membership fee. That would be a huge benefit to me and other Life Members. Meaning we could come back and experience the future and rectify all the mistakes we had made in our previous life.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 734390

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 14:11

Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 14:11
I agree with you too Joe. There is not enough differentiation between members and non members. I understand why the owners go for volume. It makes the adds more profitable. I too would be happy to pay more to renew my membership provided there were more benefits attached.
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 734404

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Jul 24, 2011 at 11:49

Sunday, Jul 24, 2011 at 11:49
All other forums don't require you to pay a fee to participate so I think it would become a very dull and short lived site.

All forums require participation from others with similar interests, the more participants the more interesting it becomes.

This forum is no different to a pub or sporting club except for the physical contact.

Most of the stuff in members areas can be found on other sites and in most cases provide more information, there is a lot of junk in the members area.... in this day and age Google is your friend.

We were once members but after a few disputes, site direction and lack of usable benefits we like many others have not renewed out membership and won't in the future.

The only other site we are on where you have to pay $30000+ to join is the "Ultimate Camper Forum".... no camper no join.

FollowupID: 734454

Reply By: outsider - Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 17:43

Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 17:43
The site is pretty good how it is but a "frequently asked questions" page would be an improvement as some questions are asked very frequently.
AnswerID: 460722

Reply By: Happy Frank - Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 19:20

Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 19:20
I have been a member but am no longer since another member used member messaging to personally abuse me from another state. I doubt he would have face to face. He still may try if he wishes too. I am still on this site but only rarely contribute, preferring to just read what I want too. I still do offer an opinion/advice where I feel it may be appreciated. Having said all that I don't know of any other forum that requires paying a membership fee.

AnswerID: 460732

Reply By: Robin Miller - Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 19:21

Saturday, Jul 23, 2011 at 19:21
I don't think so Axle.

There is still only about 1 post per hour.

This has been partly done by the Blogs sub section and I felt this was a mistake and has effectivily caused a loss of worthwhile content , not because of Blogs but because non Blogs stuff ends up their and its to hard to access.

Some of these things are subtle in the way they work.

Exploroz takes about the longest of site I use to load.

When it does load at least you see the last 100 posts and can quickly glance down them for relevance without multiple loading waits.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 460733

Reply By: *Rusty* - Sunday, Jul 24, 2011 at 12:36

Sunday, Jul 24, 2011 at 12:36
As a "non-paying" member, personally i like being able to jump on here and see other's points of view and ideas etc. But i personally cannot justify paying a membership fee to join. I already get slugged way too much as a 4wd club member (not all clubs charge like a wounded bull but where i currently am do).

I have bought a number of items from the shop, and i regularly use the treks and places pages. And i like to think i contribute helpful information from time to time to you lovely people. I find that a number of people on EO seem to be a bit more "experienced" (no offense intended), and i find i can learn from what those and other people post on here. I do troll other forums, mainly the one that involves swags lol. :)

I understand completely that EO is a business and business needs to make money, but the day i am charged to access and provide information to an online community and friends, i am sorry to say i will walk away.

AnswerID: 460779

Reply By: have a go - Monday, Jul 25, 2011 at 22:38

Monday, Jul 25, 2011 at 22:38
I actually had a disagreement with a non member when I was one over this same subject. As a non member (now) I sure miss not being able to MM. Most of all I miss the old members from The Gibb R and FNQ some others are on FB. It use to be quite entertaining. I still log on every now and then. I feel I advertise EO every time we go away (usally 3-4 trips a year approx 5000km each) the camper has a EO tyre cover on the back. I feel Its a pitty there isn't a points system for the likes of members from (Doomadgee to Mt Dare to Steve for his Cooper Creek updates for example) should have some sort of reduction in fees because of the at the moment information they give for fellow travellers. They are an asset to EO. Blogs are a good tool for us all too. These folk should be rewarded. I do like Eo better than the others because I find it easier to navigate. Better off looking after the long time members than changing the web site.
Cheers
Sharon
(OldGirl)
AnswerID: 460937

Sponsored Links