What do i need for a trip up north

Equipment for trip

I am planning a trip to the gulf country and just wandering if i need the gear below.
We want to do the Savannah Way, around August 2012.
I drive a pajero and will be towing an offroad van

Satphone
I have a UHF and a SPOT Messenger
I have a Telstra phone but not sure of coverage
I could rent or buy but will be away a couple of months

Snorkel
I will have a tarp/bra to cover front for any crossing required

Electric Winch
I have a hand winch but dont want to take it
I have a couple of Maxtrax to help get out of bogs 
I have other recovery gear

Extra Spare tyre
I have an unused HT casing, original spare, not sure i want lug a rim as well! Which i would have to buy.
I have tools to change and repair the tyre if required, but not experienced other than testing at home.
My other 5 tyres are Bridgestone D694 LTs

The reason starting now is these are expensive items and if i have to get them i will need to start being nice to you know who :)

I know there are a lot of other things needed but these are the things i am pandering on at the moment.

Thanks for any help

Rich
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: D&G - Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 10:59

Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 10:59
most of the Savannah way is on good roads with lots of traffic - so you may not need a Sat phone. An external magnetic aerial with a lead through the back window to the phone will be a reasonably cheap option to extend your Telstra coverage have fun
AnswerID: 473680

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 11:53

Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 11:53
G'day Rich, I would pass on the Sat phone unless you feel you need 24 Hr contact.
The price of a winch will buy a big heap of fuel, & unless you plan to park up the van & go roughin it..not likely to be used.Snorkel ?? Maybe. I dont use one..can ford
a metre without one & wont be going deeper. Some will say you need the extra dust
protection..I say the cost will buy you more air filters than you can carry.
Extra tyres ? Who knows ? If your current ones are good you could be fine. I see
little advantage in carrying a tyre off the rim, no fun changing it & a good compressor
needed to seat the bead (unless you use the Mick O method). Nearly every tyre
disaster I have seen in the bush resulted from too little air..too much weight & too
much speed. With those things right, it's mostly luck. cheers.....oldbaz.

AnswerID: 473686

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 14:48

Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 14:48
oldbaz,
On a reread of the replies i noticed one of your comments

Nearly every tyre
disaster I have seen in the bush resulted from too little air..too much weight & too
much speed. With those things right, it's mostly luck. cheers.....oldbaz.

What do you mean too little air.

I had expected to drop tyre pressue once i hit the dirt to around 28-30 psi, i normally run 38psi on the roads for both van and car.
I guess a bit of playing around will be required as well the above are cold pressures and would probabLy be dropping when tyres hot.
This checking is all part of the daily checking any way.

I may have a bit more in rear as towing.

Richard
FollowupID: 748526

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 15:35

Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 15:35
G'day Rich, most of the failures I refer to have been on the driving wheels of cars
towing C/t or vans, & the common response to my first question is ...25 to 30 psi.
Now, there is a widely held & common view among many on EO that when the tar
runs out you must drop pressure. To run sub 30 psi on a car already well loaded &
towing a heavy van or camper is to invite disaster...IMHO. I refer to roads where the
speed used is generally above 60 kph. The increased rolling resistance & friction is
likely to result in heat buildup to the point of failure without warning..not a happy
scenario. While there may be some benefit in reducing pressure in some conditions,
I would be guided by tyre temperature during daily checks, you will quickly become
astute at knowing what is normal. You may feel the need to reduce pressure while
remaining in the temp range you consider normal & that is fine..but if a tyre is much
more than "warm" to touch....keep your jack handy.
cheers.....oldbaz.
FollowupID: 748535

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 15:59

Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 15:59
Oldbaz,
Thanks for the reply.

I bought a Jette TPMs a few years ago to help with tracking temp and pressure, bloody useless. It has never worked proeperly .

Your method is probably more reliable.

I am not a fast driver any time and on dirt with the van do take my time , but would go faster than 60 if good dirt road.

I guess if the road gets that bad to drop further you would not want to go much faster than 60 any way. Corrugations may be an exception i suppose if not biggies.

Thanks again,
Richard
FollowupID: 748541

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 13:03

Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 13:03
Hi Rich, All the creeks should have stopped running by then and the deepest should be 700mm. A set of max tracks will get you out of a small bog if you encounter one, just one rule up here stay on the track, go on the shoulder and you will be down to the door handles. As for Sat phone only if you are going to the more remote places as telstra phones normally drop out after 3 klm outside towns. Tyres if your 5 tyres are in fair condition, not half worn out you should be fine, but saying that they are some rocky area's with sharp edges so a flat is on the cards. Winch have not used mine yet but a hand winch might be useful if towing a trailer. Hope you enjoy your trip.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 473692

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 13:16

Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 13:16
Hi Rich,
The Savannah Way goes from Cairns to Broome and has many "alternative" roads on it for you to pick from, if travelling in August you could do it on a pushbike ...... and it has probally 2 - 4 go past us here each year ......
Do you have a plan of the roads you want to travel on as that will determine what gear you will need, if it is for instance coming from South and you start at Cairns you will have Telstra coverage off and on to Normanton and sealed roads and a zillion other travellers, Normanton to Lawn Hill via 4 ways RH to Gregory Down, also sealed roads, short trip out to Lawn Hil is dirt but good, patchey Telstra coverage at Lawn Hill, and half a zillion travellers, back to Gregory Downs to Burktown, some dirt again but good condition, Telstra Coverage at Burky..... Burky to Doomadgee with the Gregory river and Nicholson to cross, most probally in Aug will be 200mm deep at the MOST if not dry, both concrete crossings and only 20ks of dirt in the 100 odd klms, about 29k dirt to Kingfisher Camp turnoff from Doomadgee, road into Kingfisher is a "track" but always repaired after the wet and goos enough for vans to be towed in at a "safe" speed......... Kingfisher to Hells Gate mostly dirt some patches of sealed, after Hells gate all the way to Boorlooloola is dirt and condition varies greatly, on average it is a good enough road to drive a car down ..... Burktown and Doomagee are the last Telstra services up until Booloolooloolololololaaaa

Gear needed for that trip taking into account you will be towing a van so restricted where you can go and dont dream that because it is an "off road" van you can go bush ....... being "off road" means it """should"""" still be in one peice when you have done 300klms of corrigations....

Good basic 40ch UHF and the best antennea you can buy for off road stuff, corrigations will bust then off and get one of the cheap ss wire ones to store in ya spares box just incase........

Spot is perfect, Sat phone is the best but ya need money for them .... wait an hour at the most and someone will be along ........

Tarp over front is fine, most rivers up here run fast so you dont want to go in if it is deep enough to need a snorkle ....

Dont need a winch, remember you will have a van on, look ahead and plan carefully as you also cant reverse in a sticky situation with a van, carry plenty of ropes/straps as there are heaps of other travellers then and they will help you ........

Need near new tyres all round and 2 spares same condition, as long as they have a good LOAD rating, August is dry so you will be fine with a light truck hwy patten but make certain whatever they are, they MUST be in excellent condition, you will pass 6 wrecks of vans, probally more, that have rolled or in general destroyed due to TYRES BLOWING and operator losing control, $70,000 one sitting at Burktown right now ....

Fuel, you can get fuel at Doomadgee and Hells Gate, Hells Gate to Booloola is 400 odd klms from memory, dont carry jerrys if you can help it, waste of space and weight, far better to carry a second spare for that weight and alway keep the tanks full ...........

Basic tool range making CERTAIN you have a good hydrulic jack, dont bother with a Kangaroo Jack, few wooden blocks are handy additions, you can use them for bait boards, always carry silicon, cables ties, 500gm tin of bog (plastic putty) ..... and whatever else you are capable of using and might need ........

Just remember to start checking road conditions at least 4 weeks befor leaving and if not sure check every day up to leaving date so you know EXACLY what you are up against, if you plan ahead and know the road conditions you could drive a 2wd car from Cairns to Broome in August ...
Cheers and enjoy, call in and have a coffee with us at Doomadgee
AnswerID: 473694

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 14:29

Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 14:29
Hi Joe , I think you mean Borroloola.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 748524

Reply By: Bigfish - Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 13:49

Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 13:49
Well Rich...Joe n Mel summed it up perfectly. They live there....best way to get the truth is to talk to a local.
Enjoy the trip..it is not too adventuress at all and you will really enjoy IF you take your time.
I never go any where on dirt without 2 spares and good tyres on the car.

cheers
AnswerID: 473697

Reply By: Member - Rich - Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 14:11

Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 14:11
Wow!!

What a good lot of replies and quick as well.

MANY THANKs!

Your advice has probably saved me some money. Mind you inwS trying to use it as an excuse with the wife. But after writing i had to run off and helpmher as her car is having problems and will require some expensive fixes, sonallnfor the best.

As far As where i am planning as above but would like to go to Lorella Spings as well.

If possible I would like to follow that road, Nathan River and Roper road north to Roper as well. I suspect that would be the most offroad i will do. I may do a couple of trips while camped at Lorella Springs eg Rosie Creek .

I have read there is no fuel at Hellsgate any more, is that true. What about Lorella Springs, mind i will start looking in to thisnside a bit later.

Many thanks again

Richard
AnswerID: 473700

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 14:53

Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 14:53
Hi Rich, I'm the caretaker at Lorella Springs, If you plan to go out to rosie creek I would have a winch not to many people go out their and some of the creek crossings are steep and lose, saying that they did have a couple of vans out their this year, but was a challenge. They do charge $100 per hour recovery and it is 90klm from the main camp ground. Maybe leave your van at the camp ground and drive out their and camp at the billabong just before the fishing camp, takes 3 to 4 hours and you can now drive to the Gulf. There is fuel here but would suggest you bring 2 or 3 jerry cans so you can get around as there is so much to see and do, you could drive 100s klm just on the property. I hope you enjoy your stay here, as much as I am enjoying the wet season here.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 748528

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 15:24

Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 15:24
Andy,
My plan would be to base myself atLorella springs, seems to be a great place, and do day trips, may be Rosie creek may be a bit much as i am sure many other things to see. My car holds 134 lits as have aux tank and was hoping to avoid jerry cans. There are two on the van but was thinking of using them for water as never been used. This may chnage as i do more research.

Would you need a winch with out the van?

What is the best way to contact you closer to the time so i can make final arrangements ( eg would i need to book ahead).

Do you really enjoy the wet :)

It is still quite some time away but part of the fun is the planning, well some times.

Thanks for the reply,
Richard
FollowupID: 748532

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 17:03

Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 17:03
Hi Richard, I have the same 135lt fuel tank and from Borroloola it uses 1/4 tank to get here, so that leaves 1/2 a tank to get around, if you go out to rosie creek you will use another 1/4 tank. No winch would be needed if you left the van at the camp ground. They do sell fuel but at a price, you could buy 4 jerry cans and leave them here, would be cheaper. You can book ahead the station number is 0889759917. As for the wet yes nice weather and only a few showers until that cyclone last week which dumped 240mm. I can still get around to all the places and was up at rosie creek 3 weeks ago mud crabbing with scoop net from the creek. It is a short drive to the Southern Lost City a good day trip. There is plenty of water here, I drink the spring water. I plan to go to the shop at Borrolooa next week, but might take 4 or 5 days to get their, as the creeks are up and their is a bog hole at the turn off after a road train full of cattle got bogged but I'm fixing that in the next few days. You must go to Wildfire gorge and Emerald pool as well as Billy's camp. If your into bird watching flying fox swamp is great and they have a small boat up their.The billabong near the camp ground is about 2 klm away and full of fish (Barra)and a couple of friendly fresh water croc's. Might see you on your travels.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 748552

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 17:56

Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 17:56
Andy,
I have quite a few jcans at home, i bought a few and ave bought a few on thevroad when i thought i migiht need one.

I coud probably grab a couple of plastc one, i have both types, and leave on roof till i need them

Richard
FollowupID: 748558

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 18:57

Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 18:57
Hi Richard, Fuel cost $1.87 at Borroloola and that is the last place before Lorella Springs, and them after that its another 200klm to Roper Bar. So If you plan to drive around Lorella Springs and do day trips you will need a fair bit of fuel.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 748562

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 20:45

Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 20:45
Andy,
You may be inheriting a couple of used jerry cans.

Sounds like a good idea of yours .

Richard
FollowupID: 748570

Reply By: Member - Rich - Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 14:24

Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 14:24
Forgot to add,

We are working on about two months so no time to do the lot of the Savannah way. If time permits we will try to go as far as Kakadu or Darwin and probably start from Normanton which we will make to from the ACT via Brisbane.

Our plan is to take our time. If we do not make it all the way then next time. It would be great to be able to go to WA but I think we would be 3 to 4 months short of that, but ya never know.

Car servicing is another issue as i suspect i will need a service or at least oil change , another thread another time.

Many thanks again,
Richard

AnswerID: 473701

Reply By: Member - Rich - Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 15:33

Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 15:33
Here is a map of where we hope to go with a few alternative routes or may be return routes. Just keeping options open.

Sorry I think I have lead you off the original purpose of my post on equipment but as said the planning is exciting as well.

Image Could Not Be Found

Richard
AnswerID: 473707

Follow Up By: rumpig - Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 18:20

Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 18:20
looks like your visiting alot of places we went to this year, you may like to look at the trip report i did on another forum... http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=179&t=121720 ... nothing along that trip was what i'd call 4wding, i think i engaged 4wd for one creek crossing (Lawn Hill Creek) just after leaving Adels Grove just to be safe. i used lowrange a couple of times to climb out of a steep creek crossing or 2 as we headed to Borroloola, but just to save the clutch, but no 4wd used then. the corrogations between Hells Gate roadhouse and Borroloola were very ordinary aswell as another section heading into Roper Bar from Butterfly Springs, they'd certainly tell you how well your van is built...lol. obviously road conditions change all the time, so it may be completely different when you venture through anyway, but for the most part it was just croozey dirt road driving (ecept for the corrogations).
my main concern would be making sure the vehicle and van wheel bearings have been done recently. this year and last year (when we crossed The Simpson Desert), 3 vehicles in our groups have had wheel bearing problems, so it's something best to have sorted before heading away.
cheers
FollowupID: 748559

Follow Up By: rumpig - Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 18:21

Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 18:21
ohhh for an edit button to fix spelling mistakes...lol
FollowupID: 748560

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 20:51

Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 20:51
Rumpig,
Think i may have read that in my research and gave me some ideas and why the trip i have planned, so thanks for that.

In my case it is not my bad spelling, just the keyboard , well may be :).

I will reread,

Richard
FollowupID: 748571

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 21:12

Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 21:12
Rumpig,
Yep i have seen your trip report before.

I have not read it all but reckon it is one of the best i have seen, well done mate.

I will be rereading in more detail as you say it has much of what i want to do.

Richard
FollowupID: 748572

Follow Up By: rumpig - Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 22:42

Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 22:42
thanks for the kind words Richard, you've possibly read it elsewhere as i posted it on about 4 different forums. i hope you have as good a trip next year as we did this year, there certainly are some beautiful places to visit in this great country of ours, and some of the places we visited are no exception.
cheers
Mal
FollowupID: 748580

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 23:03

Saturday, Dec 31, 2011 at 23:03
Mal,
I will poor through it in fine detail next year :)

Happy New Year

Richard
FollowupID: 748583

Sponsored Links