<span class="highlight">Snorkel</span> - HDJ79R Landcruiser

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 09, 2012 at 10:12
ThreadID: 99413 Views:9860 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks,
My cruiser has a standard Toyota type snorkel. I was thinking of changing it to a "forward facing" snorkel as I've heard they improve air flow etc.
Can anyone suggest the pros & cons of the two types of snorkel? and
how do you fix a forward facing snorkel to the standard snorkel intake?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Sunday, Dec 09, 2012 at 10:55

Sunday, Dec 09, 2012 at 10:55
GdayMapesy
The air ram effect won't work until you exceed the speed limit by more than the speed for an instant license loss.

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 500054

Reply By: Rockape - Sunday, Dec 09, 2012 at 11:09

Sunday, Dec 09, 2012 at 11:09
Mapesy,
The head you have is a better choice in dusty conditions.

Beside the placebo effect I believe the ram head will do bugger all. There is a turbo in there just saying to the intake air. Come to me, come to me.

Your choice and the donaldson heads never used to be very expensive so you could fit one and try it.

Have a good one,
RA.
AnswerID: 500055

Reply By: craigandej - Sunday, Dec 09, 2012 at 20:15

Sunday, Dec 09, 2012 at 20:15
Hi,
If you havent done so already, take each section of the snorkel apart, right to the air filter, get some black silastic, and go crazy.
I pulled mine apart (same model) to check it before a trip to Cape York, glad I did the joins all didnt seal properly.

Regards
Craig
AnswerID: 500083

Reply By: pop2jocem - Sunday, Dec 09, 2012 at 20:59

Sunday, Dec 09, 2012 at 20:59
I guess if you want to prove one way or the other if there is any benefit to the "Ram Head " type, get a piece of poly pipe of suitable diameter. Mount your Ram Head on one end, cap off the other end and connect a manometer (no these do not measure your "manhood" lol) to a fitting screwed into the cap. Go for a scorch down a road where you will not attract any undue attention from our boys and girls in blue and poke the Ram Head out the window and try different speeds and see if your water manometer is showing any pressure. If you get some pressure increase it must help get air into your engine regardless of whether it is turbo or NA. If not then it just adds to the tough truck image.
Let us know how you went.
My opinion is it may do something but as RA said the standard Toyota one is probably more effective in really dusty conditions where generally slower speeds are the go.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 500085

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Sunday, Dec 09, 2012 at 21:34

Sunday, Dec 09, 2012 at 21:34
Gday
The engine is sucking faster than the air can be forced into the snorkle at legal speeds.

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 776074

Follow Up By: Jarse - Monday, Dec 10, 2012 at 10:47

Monday, Dec 10, 2012 at 10:47
Not to mention the friction losses inside the snorkel. The longer the snorkel - the higher the losses.

Then add the choking effect that turning the airflow entering the snorkel head almost 180 degrees has on efficiency, eh Muz ;)

The good thing about turning the airflow in the snorkel head is the inertial separation of water from the air. So it would be good in the rain, providing there is an outlet for the water at the back of the snorkel.

From memory, ram-recovery for the internal combustion engine starting at about 140knots (about 280km/h) from the old aerodynamics book...
FollowupID: 776095

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Dec 09, 2012 at 22:17

Sunday, Dec 09, 2012 at 22:17
Its hard/impossible to get any air ram effect because the drainage holes in the snorkel head and the duckbill rubber valve in the air cleaner prevent any buildup of pressure.

To improve the breathing of a HDJ79, your first move (if you haven't already done it) is to get rid of that restrictive catalytic converter and fit a 3"exhaust - mine transformed a lot when the exhaust was replaced with a Beaudesert exhaust.
AnswerID: 500090

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, Dec 10, 2012 at 08:00

Monday, Dec 10, 2012 at 08:00
You will get a performance increase of around .0012Kw's by spending $600 on a new snorkel, ram air on a diesel offer very little.
AnswerID: 500100

Reply By: pop2jocem - Monday, Dec 10, 2012 at 13:39

Monday, Dec 10, 2012 at 13:39
Any air intake system, snorkel, no snorkel, Ram head, standard Toyota head or Fred's own home made jobbie and any of this lot will have some restrictive effect regardless of turbo, non turbo, petrol or diesel. Just the air filter element even when brand spanking new will have a restriction measured as pressure drop across the element. This is why there are two hoses one either side of the element and connected to a switch that activates when a pre-determined restriction, i.e pressure differential, is reached. This, connected to a warning light, tells you it's time for a new element. This restriction can be cured by fitting a new element. The inherent restriction in the inlet system, which is there even without the element can only be reduced by modifying the ducting either by fitting larger components, reducing the number and severity of bends or shortening the system. The only other way to reduce inherent restrictions is to attempt to modify a possibly individual part such as the snorkel head. Now whether a so called Ram Head will do enough to warrant the expense and hassle,,,,who knows without trying. The Ram head may have to be driven through the air at an unrealistic speed to produce a positive pressure but any reduction in the inherent restriction of whatever system is fitted will deliver more air to the engine.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 500113

Sponsored Links