Kimberley Karavan weight & off road ability

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 29, 2020 at 11:44
ThreadID: 139958 Views:13744 Replies:4 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
We’re considering buying an older Kimberley Karavan (2007). We are a family of 5 (looking at putting in bunks/setting up extra beds).
We currently have a small hybrid (second hand custom made), lightweight van (about 14ft) & love that we can tow it almost anywhere & enjoy doing a bit camping out in remote areas. It’s too small now that we have a 3rd child.
I’m impressed with the space of the KK but my husband is concerned about the weight. We’ve read a few variations about the tare weight.
Would really appreciate any known information about the weight of an older KK, experience taking a KK to remote/rugged areas and any advice really. Thank you !
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2020 at 11:59

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2020 at 11:59
Hi Tanya,

We owned a Kimberley Kamper, not a Karavan, but I can tell you they are heavy, but if they are anything like the Kimberley Kamper, they are well made & will go anywhere your tow vehicle will go. Out of curiosity, what vehicle will you be towing it with? There is an online forum that you may be able to join as a guest member that will enable you to ask questions of other owners. It is Kimberley Karavan Online Group, you can find them by "googling" kkog.org.au

Hope this helps.

Macca.

Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 631293

Follow Up By: Tanya B - Thursday, Apr 30, 2020 at 07:50

Thursday, Apr 30, 2020 at 07:50
Thanks for your response. We have a 200 series.
We would like to go to Vic High Country a bit more frequently (as well as bigger trips) as it’s close to home & go with family who have a T Van. It would be nice to go the same places they go but the T Van is pretty light.

I’ll look into that group thanks heaps.
FollowupID: 907269

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Apr 30, 2020 at 07:55

Thursday, Apr 30, 2020 at 07:55
Tanya,

If your 200 Series does not have a suspension upgrade, I strongly recommend that you get it done. The 200 Series is a very capable tow vehicle, but if heading “off road”, towing a heavy camper/caravan, it pays to have a stronger suspension.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 907270

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2020 at 13:36

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2020 at 13:36
Hi Tanya,

We have a 2007 model Karavan, have had it almost from new. It's done over 100,000km of outback travel including GCR, GRR, abandoned section of the Gunbarrel from Giles to Carnegie and beyond, Rudall River NP (very rough, cut a tyre, bent a rim but the van was great), Gary Junction Hwy, numerous forestry roads, tracks and firetrails in the Snowies, Blue Mountains and Vic High Country. It's tough enough to do the rough work, but like a 4WD that goes to those sorts of places, needs maintenance.

When closed up for towing it is only as high and as wide a the average tow vehicle, so it will fit where the tug will fit. It's pretty nimble.

Your 2007 model will have a long hatch in the floor which allows easy access for maintenance to a major part of the lifting system. Later models do not have that, so you will be ahead in that regard. Ask the seller what has been done maintenance and modification wise to the lifting system. There are known problems, with fixes available through the Owners Group.

There is also an issue with improperly located bearings and seals in the hubs. It's a design issue. Again. the Owners Group has a fix for that, with parts available through our on-line shop.

McLaren3030 mentioned an owners group, as I did above. It's the Kimberley Karavan Owners Group (KKOG). We don't have a website as such, but an excellent forum at kkog.org.au, and as Macca said, you can get a temporary, restricted membership set up so that a possible purchaser can access the forum and ask questions of the members.

Weightwise, the 2007 model has a GTM of 2000 and an ATM of 2200. The plated and registered weights and tares of all models are all over the place when you look at compliance plates and rego certificates. There were some variations in the first few 2006 models, but from September 2007 onwards the weights are 2000/2200.Mine had an original tare of 1400. It was never realistic and I discovered how unrealistic when I had to get it weighed as part of a GTM/ATM upgrade. The actual tare is about 1800, a 400kg discrepancy.

Towball weight is in the range 150 to 250kg, depending on how you load the van and where the large water tank is. (Somewhere between 2007 and 2008 the 120 litre tank was moved from well in front of the axle to the rear.) Also if it has had a lithium battery conversion, which many owners have done, that makes a big (favourable) difference to ball weight.

Because of unrealistic tares, etc, many members of KKOG have had weight issues and many of those have pursued a weight upgrade to keep legal. I'm in NSW. My local engineer required upgraded springs (which I did anyway as I had a broken one) and wheels to Australian Standards (ie stamped with load capacity. The originals were not to the standard.) Other states, notably Queensland, are not so fussy. The hoops you have to jump through for this upgrade depend on which state you live in and the engineer you choose. My GTM is now 2380 and the ATM is 2500.

The Karavan was first released in mid 2006. The original weights of 2000 and 2200 were designed to be towable behind the likes of Prado, Pathfinder, Pajero class vehicles of the day. Many owners still do that, but be aware that if your Karavan has had a weight upgrade that class of vehicle, particularly if it is older, may no longer be adequate. For 7 years I towed mine with a 2007 120 Series diesel Prado. It was an excellent combination. I tow now with a BT50. Same again.

Although it's called a Karavan, it's a hybrid. For a van it's small. For a camper it's, shall we say, not compact. But it's a very compact caravan! 5 people will be a squeeze. You can fit 5 people around the inside table, but it is tight. OK occasionally, say for visitors having a drink on a wet night, but not on a regular basis for meals. You will need to exercise the camper part of the hybrid deal and eat outside when possible.

Similarly, sleeping 5 inside will be a real squeeze. I've never investigated the bunk bed option. There were bunks in a vertical arrangement available in the early days, but whether the new management still makes them is unknown to me. You would still need a 5th bed and that would fill the central walkway, which makes it very difficult for mum or dad to get out of bed for a nocturnal call of nature.

If your kids are old enough there is a three man kids tent that hangs off the extended bed out the back. If the new factory cannot supply it, any canvas maker could knock one up. The Kimberley version is nice, though.

There is also an excellent full awning available which would give you an enclosed outside room. Your's might come with that. Being fully framed, it's very strong. It's a fair effort to set up, so not really designed for single overnights, in which case there are simple awning options, such as a Fiamma bag awning or Kimberley's own Kwik Awning. Again, yours might already have that option.

If you want to try the temporary membership of KKOG, and I recommend you do, contact the secretary at
sec_treasurer@kkog.org.au

If you want more info feel free to email me at

frankponetwonine( the one two nine in figures and no spaces before the at sign) at gmail.com

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 631297

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2020 at 14:39

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2020 at 14:39
Hi Frank,
I just had a look at this post out of curiosity, and am not a Kimberley owner nor a potential buyer (though I do agree they are a good bit of kit).
But I just wanted to congratulate you on the trouble you have taken to provide a thoughtful and considerate response to Tanya's inquiry.
That is an example of the best kind of interaction on this forum, and exactly the type of help and advice people often seek.
Cheers,
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 907257

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2020 at 14:59

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2020 at 14:59
Aww, gee, shucks.... Thanks Wildmax.

Our KK has served us really well over the years, as has the Owners Group, so it's not hard to write about them.

Thanks for your comment, I appreciate it.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 907260

Follow Up By: Tanya B - Thursday, Apr 30, 2020 at 08:08

Thursday, Apr 30, 2020 at 08:08
Hi Frank,
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such a detailed response it’s been very helpful, particularly the information about the weight.
We’ll be sure to make contact if we have any other questions.
Thanks again, much appreciated
FollowupID: 907271

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Friday, May 01, 2020 at 17:04

Friday, May 01, 2020 at 17:04
You're welcome, Tanya, any time. Good luck with your "shopping"..

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 907293

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2020 at 16:23

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2020 at 16:23
I looked at buying one myself, loved the unit but was concerned with the weight.

Friends were looking to purchase one too, I voiced my concerns but they decided to byte the bullet and purchase one. They purchased one of the later model units. On their first trip away the shockers failed due to overheating. Apparently it is a known issue with them, Kimberly stated if shockers fail it was due to operator error. Later on in the trip the chassis cracked and had to be patched up to get them home.

After legal proceedings unit was returned to KK and KK had to refund in full, contact me for more detail if required.

Moral of above, carefully check suspension and chassis for cracking and signs of repairs.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 631300

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2020 at 17:56

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2020 at 17:56
Yes, I heard about that one but don't know any details. Do you know what year model it was?

We have about 450 Karavans in our owners group. In our experience the people who have had major chassis/suspension problems have contributed to them through simple ignorance. For example by not knowing about reduced tyre pressures and speed when conditions warrant, or by never checking actual loaded weights. And perhaps being unduly influenced by the marketing at the time - it can go anywhere and do anything and then being a bit "unsympathetic" to the mechanical realities.

Not saying this is the case with your friend, these things do happen, and in any brand. I was on a tough trip with someone with an Ultimate. My Karavan was unscathed, his Ultimate had hub issues and the bolts holding the body to the chassis pulled through the body. The difference between us was in driving style and tyre management.

So.... good advice about checking the chassis - and the rest of the running gear for that matter.

IMO a major factor in Kimberley's demise was the attitude of previous management. I always had great dealings with the company but I'm aware that in many cases it was nothing other than adversarial. I was fortunate to have an exceptionally good local dealer who looked after the customer first and sought recompense from the head office later. He quite often either had to struggle to get it or didn't get it at all.

That has all changed with the new management. Now, they are still finding their feet after coming out of the abyss, but as they grow their resources and capabilities beyond just filling orders they are increasingly able to service owners with older vans requiring spares and service.

But yes, an older van or c/t carries with it an element of risk for the buyer and a thorough inspection by someone who knows the product is definitely recommended.

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 907263

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2020 at 18:55

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2020 at 18:55
Hi Frank,

From memory it would have been a 1995.

My friend is a very experienced outback traveler, he does expect though if something is
advertised as "will go anywhere the car can" then he expects it to do as advertised.

The car had no issues on the trip with the car and the car was heavily loaded, had a tinnie
on top from memory, just the van failures. Friend is a mechanic, he said at the time he
would buy another second hand unit if he could get it at a good price, he would then have
the chassis area under the door from memory reinforced, I assume that's where the shockers
are mounted?

Never did purchase another though.

I agree with the past management not being good, friend had issue with him from the very start.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 907265

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 29, 2020 at 20:06

Wednesday, Apr 29, 2020 at 20:06
Hi HKB,

If it was a Karavan it wouldn't have been 1995, nor 2005 if that was a typo.

Karavans weren't released until mid 2006. Later models, as you alluded to, would not be considered earlier than 2015, so it's unclear what unit your friend might have had.

"My friend is a very experienced outback traveler, he does expect though if something is
advertised as "will go anywhere the car can" then he expects it to do as advertised."

Yes, there is that, but it needs to also have a degree of common sense applied. The Karavan WILL go anywhere the car will go as my in excess of 100,000km of outback tough travelling has testified. As will the huge majority of our 450-odd members. You just need to exercise common sense. You won't be damage free if you tackle the GRR, GCR, Tanami or any corrugated outback road at 100kph with 40 plus PSI in your tyres.

Again, I'm not saying this is what your friend did, but if anyone expects that, then they're sorely mistaken.

The shocks are not mounted under the door, they are way behind. If the symptom was a distorted lower door frame, then yes, the door frame can distort a little due to settling of the cabin subframe as the main chassis moves throughout its life and transfers some movement to the cabin subframe. (No framed structure is completely solid and immoveable.) It is easily corrected - mine has been done.

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 907266

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Thursday, Apr 30, 2020 at 10:07

Thursday, Apr 30, 2020 at 10:07
Sorry brain fade, we purchase our unit in 2014, can't remember if friends brought the KK just before or just after but I'm pretty sure it was after so around 2015.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 907272

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Thursday, Apr 30, 2020 at 10:16

Thursday, Apr 30, 2020 at 10:16
Forgot to add our VistaXL has done most of the "hard" tracks in the country apart from the CSS,
still as square and as solid as the day it rolled out of the factory :)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 907273

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Thursday, Apr 30, 2020 at 14:01

Thursday, Apr 30, 2020 at 14:01
PS I hope the new owners know what there doing and have brought the whole company and don't up in court fighting over silly things such as colours of caps like the Bega company is?

Have they actually started re-building the KK, I thought I read the gigs, machinery etc were sold off?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 907274

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 30, 2020 at 15:02

Thursday, Apr 30, 2020 at 15:02
Yes, mate, they bought the whole company and all the IP, though I heard that the IP took a while to sort out, but they have it all now.

They've been going for over a year now and are building all three products - Kampers, Karavans and Kruisers - with an emphasis on a rationalised model line-up to contain costs and quality control.

Heh heh, re the jigs etc being sold off at the firesale - yes they were, to unidentified buyers who in fact were the new owners. They knew what was going to happen and were ready. Our group, KKOG, bought a whole lot of stuff as well in anticipation of having to support members after the demise of the company. But when the phoenix rose from the ashes we ended up selling a lot of our stuff back to the new owners to assist them in re-starting the business.

They missed out on a lot of sheet metal stuff that had been pre-cut and formed - it went to scrap, unfortunately - but they got all the jigs, tooling and moulds they needed to get going and now they are pretty much up to speed.

I just hope this Covid curse doesn't screw them up.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 907275

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Thursday, Apr 30, 2020 at 15:18

Thursday, Apr 30, 2020 at 15:18
"I just hope this Covid curse doesn't screw them up"

Agree, would be a shame to see another ozi enterprise go under. To many disappearing or being brought up by Chinese companies. It is very difficult to get backing of any kind from within Australia, even the goverment won't support ozi companies (COVID=19 app). Hopefully they can ride out the storm.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 907276

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 09:38

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 09:38
At the end of July 2018 we towed our Mk 2 Tvan From the Telfer mine down into the Karlamilyi NP. On the way we passed to late model (Common rail) 4wd's, each towing a Kimberley Karavan, where they had pulled up for lunch. As we continued on part of the route was *along* a dry soft & sandy creek bed for several kilometres. I recall saying to my wife, "rather them than me" referring to those pulling the Kimberley Karavans behind us, knowing that they were significantly heavier than our Tvan. We continued on to the campground at Desert Queen Baths. The last 15 or 20kms of track into the camp ground was tight & narrow in places, with many dry creek beds to cross, nothing we found difficult, but nevertheless often feeling thankful that we had great departure angle of the Tvan. Again I recall commenting to my wife that "If they try to bring those Kimberley Karavans in here, they may struggle with their additional length" (compared to us). The following day both Kimberley Karavans lobbed into the camp ground. With the exception of a puncture in one of them which had slowed them down, they had had no problem following our route. I was impressed & a little surprised. Both were owned by Kimberley Karavan 'enthusiasts, they loved their karavans, with their only criticism (mild) being the pulley system used to raise & lower the upper section - not that it was problematic, just that it was 'fiddly' if it ever went wrong. Guys, if it was you in the Kimberley Karavans - thanks once again for your help & generosity to me when I had to fix the water supply to our Tvan sink!
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

AnswerID: 631521

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 10:08

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 10:08
That was me and the missus, Cuppa, and our travelling mates. Non Karavan owners are often surprised when they see Karavans turn up in difficult places. It's part of the fun in owning them. LOL.

That was a big trip - 14000km of mostly outback dirt.Sydney (us) and Brisbane (friends) to Margaret River and return the long way. The Karavans, both older models, were superb with the only issue on the vans being the tyre you mentioned (mine).

Did you drive theRudall River Rd southwards to leave the park? Worst corrugations I have ever encountered - 4 hours at max 20kph. And the traffic!! - northbound diversions from Georgia Bore to Well 33 due to flooding on the CSR. Arrival at White Gums was a blessed relief.

Glad we were able to help with the Tvan plumbing. All part of the adventure, eh?

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 907654

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 12:23

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 12:23
Hi Frank, Yes we did drive out that way, & yes the corrugations were truly horrible! (Although 'mild' in comparison to the truly horrendous ones we later endured between Drysdale River & Kalumburu) I don't know how many kilometres we've travelled since then, but we haven't been home yet. Currently we are holed up in FNQ, farm sitting for the duration of the restrictions. After Desert Queen Baths we went to Tjingkulatjatjarra Pool (Jarra Pool) for a few nights - lovely spot - & much quieter than DQB had been with all the folk detouring from the CSR. From there to Newman & southward until we turned west across station country to Mt Augustus & then to Kennedy Ranges NP before making our way north to Broome & beyond where we spent 7 months up on the Dampier Peninsula caretaking a small Aboriginal owned campground (Goombaragin) - just the two of us isolated north of Beagle Bay whilst it was closed for the wet season - magic! After that we followed our noses to FNQ via the north Kimberley with the highlights being taking our Tvan from Mt Elizabeth station, along the Munja Track to Walcott inlet & back, Cape Domett (150kms north of Kununurra), a re-visit to the Bungles, north to south through the Gregory NP, the two 'Lost Cities' in the Limmen NP, an unexpected 2 weeks as 'dishies' at Adels Grove, a 4 month sit at a private nature refuge in the Daintree, & an all too short 5 week house sit at Portland Roads up on Cape York, where I doubled as the local 'postie', collecting mail off the plane at Lockhart River twice a week. We had expected to be driving back up Cape York now, for the entire dry season, (we had flown to Portland Roads - return flights were part of the deal because it was wet season) but the virus put paid to that. We almost returned home to the Vic winter when the restrictions commenced, but thankfully found a place to stay for the duration between Mareeba & Chillagoe. The following link is to my blog entry for Karlamilyi NP & contains a few photos which you might enjoy if you haven't seen them before.http://cuppa500.com/Blog/2018/07/30/karlamilyi-national-park/ Regards Cuppa
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 907657

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 13:25

Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 13:25
Stop it Cuppa, you're making me exceedingly jealous!!

Wonderful Blog, very well written and magic photos. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 907658

Sponsored Links