<span class="highlight">GPS</span> tracking

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 27, 2006 at 16:45
ThreadID: 40661 Views:4030 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Just purchased a magellan Meridian GPS. The shop wasn't very helpfull as far as what I need to buy to connect GPS to my laptop. What I would like to know is what programme is there to install to my laptop so that I can track on My HEMA CD Cape York Map.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (W.A) - Wednesday, Dec 27, 2006 at 17:07

Wednesday, Dec 27, 2006 at 17:07
check my post to Ray in PostID: 40656 and check the URL for Johnny Appleseed GPS

Not far below your post
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 212201

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Dec 27, 2006 at 17:12

Wednesday, Dec 27, 2006 at 17:12
I think the HEMA maps exist within a OziExplorer clone, if they dont then they will surely run inside a real version of it. Surf off to www.oziexplorer.com.au and u can buy a copy there, all done over the net with the minimum of fuss.

Ozi will then manage your GPS connection to your lappy easily. hmmm now I thunk about it, what does the Meridian use to connect? Is it USB or serial and does your lappy have the appropriate connection cause there will be some flumming around to do if it doesnt. Not impossible just annoying
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 212202

Reply By: navaraman - Wednesday, Dec 27, 2006 at 18:08

Wednesday, Dec 27, 2006 at 18:08
My meridian is connected via a serial to USB adapter. You'll need a power/data cable to connect the GPS to the lappy and a copy of OziExplorer and you'll be set.

Patrolman Pat
AnswerID: 212207

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Dec 27, 2006 at 18:27

Wednesday, Dec 27, 2006 at 18:27
jockey,

Check the GPSOZ Website.

There is a new dual power/data cable available to suit the Magellan Meridian GPS that has a USB connector.
Meridian & Sportrak USB - P/N MERP3USB $149

Have just bought one myself as I had an older cable with a serial (25 pin) connector.

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT bugger about with a serial to USB adapter. You will be sorry if you do.

Here's the link: Power/Data Cable
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 212209

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Dec 27, 2006 at 18:33

Wednesday, Dec 27, 2006 at 18:33
OziExplorer is the most common Mapping/Tracking programme to run on a Laptop and it works very well with the Magellan Meridian GPS.

You then install whatever digitized maps you wish for Ozi to use.
The OziExplorer Website has a tutorial as to how you set map coordinates to install a scanned map into the program.
Bill

FollowupID: 472485

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Dec 27, 2006 at 18:38

Wednesday, Dec 27, 2006 at 18:38
Oh,

And you can use the data interface part of the combination cable on its own, without the need to connect it to a 12 volt power source. (ciggy socket)

Using the power connection portion when in the vehicle however will save the batteries in the GPS.
Bill

FollowupID: 472488

Follow Up By: navaraman - Wednesday, Dec 27, 2006 at 19:01

Wednesday, Dec 27, 2006 at 19:01
G'Day Bill,

I've been using the serial to USB adaptor since I bough a new laptop (no serial port) 6 months ago and have had no issues at all with it.
FollowupID: 472492

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Dec 27, 2006 at 19:59

Wednesday, Dec 27, 2006 at 19:59
Sandman

I have been using a Serial to USB cable now for 4 years as my laptop came without a serial port. I run an old GPS, Magellan Map 330, and it serves my purpose without too much fuss.

Cheers
FollowupID: 472496

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Dec 28, 2006 at 13:12

Thursday, Dec 28, 2006 at 13:12
Hi Guys,

It probably depends on the brand of adaptor and its supplied driver but I had all sorts of issues trying to get it to work properly with the new Dell. Multiple applications were opening and closing continuously and no amount of manipulation or boot sequence would resolve the problem.

Mike Harding has had similar issues although I don't know what brand of Notebook and adaptor he has. (had)

The animal I tried was a Targus brand which has been thrown somewhere, never to be seen or used again.

First of all I bought a GPS mouse which works extremely well and is powered by the Notebook. But when I discovered a new USB cable for the Meridian was available I jumped at it as I wanted the option of downloading/uploading to and from it.

For the reference of other readers who may want the Serial/USB option, what brand of adaptor are you guys using?
Bill

FollowupID: 472565

Reply By: jockey - Wednesday, Dec 27, 2006 at 19:08

Wednesday, Dec 27, 2006 at 19:08
Thanks to all replies , you all have been very kind with your responses. Happy new year to all
AnswerID: 212214

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Friday, Dec 29, 2006 at 07:46

Friday, Dec 29, 2006 at 07:46
Mate, don't forget you can put an SD card in the back of that one and have Discover Australia Streets and Tracks on it. That has pretty good detail - for roads and tracks anyway on it. No topographical though of course
FollowupID: 472653

Reply By: Beast of Bodmin - Friday, Dec 29, 2006 at 08:50

Friday, Dec 29, 2006 at 08:50
Hi Jockey,
I've got a Meridian too, great bit of kit with an SD and DAST s/ware.

Try surfing to www.gpsaustralia.net great bunch of folk who can offer loads of advice on gps, oziexplorer, mapping etc

Cheers
BoB
AnswerID: 212380

Sponsored Links