How far is it and how much does it cost??????????

Submitted: Friday, Sep 11, 2009 at 23:57
ThreadID: 72199 Views:5351 Replies:12 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Well 81,251 kms and $21,792.97 in Diesel actually. We catch the boat to Tassie tomorrow night at 7 pm (if anyone wants to wave us off lol) . We left 2 years and 9 months ago from Drouin, Vic. We headed to Tassie first and will now end in Tassie. Her are some interesting statistics for you:

We did 81,251 kms
It cost $21,792.97
We used 14,860.14 ltrs in Diesel
We averaged 18.28 ltrs per 100 kms towing our trailer with an 80 series
or 5.47 kms per ltr
The dearest we paid was 236.9 c/l in Imintji on the Gibb River rd
The cheapest was 99.9 c/l on in Townsville.
It was an average of 148.12 c/l
We put fuel in the car 242 times.

We put the trailer up 138 times over 140 weeks. If you take out the 31 weeks we were at Roxby Downs in a house then we put the trailer up 138 times in 109 weeks or once every 5.5 days.

Our favourite places were:
Maree- Whalers way near Port Lincoln S.A
Julia- Perth W.A
Jasmine- Andamooka S.A
Josh- Quobba Station W.A
But our all time favourite was Cape York QLD agreed by all.

We caught : Salmon, snook, tailor, mullet, trout, long tom, mangrove jack, barramundi, barracuda, marlin, snapper, red emperor, spangled emperor, flat head, Jew fish, queenfish, mac tuna, long tail tuna, bream, coral trout, estuary cod, big eyed cod, shark, ribbon fish, tarpon and a heap of others we couldn't identify.

The best statistics we have for you are: All the new friends we have made, the 10,000 odd photos we took, the fun we had, and the life time of memories we have.
Julia asked the other day if we have to get a house in Tassie, I asked why.? Her response was " in the trailer if we get bored we just pack up and move, I think I might get bored in a house". Think we will be doing more trips lol.

Thank to the Explor Oz team for use of this site. Thankyou to all the members we caught up with along the way and thankyou to everyone who helped with advice to get us around oz. It has been an amzing trip, and before anyone says it we are not finishing our trip, we are taking a break to plan the next leg which will be Cape York, savannah way, canning stock route, great central highway, Simpson desert and back home where ever that is lol.

We now have a web site with photos and info on it so if you are interested then look here:http://www.kidsandall.webs.com/

I am still adding to it and will be for a while I think.

Live the life you have always wanted, it is to short not to, time wasted is not wasted time if you enjoyed it..........

Josh, Maree, Julia and Jasmine
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Duncanm - Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 01:36

Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 01:36
Now that is just amazing, not to mention impressive.

Well done, I will review your site with interest.

regards Duncan
AnswerID: 382836

Follow Up By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 07:48

Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 07:48
I am still adding to the site. It is hard to find then time when the fish are biting lol. It certainly has been fun.
Josh
FollowupID: 650457

Reply By: Member - Kroozer (WA) - Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 02:26

Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 02:26
Liven the dream, well done. Truly awesome.
AnswerID: 382837

Follow Up By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 07:52

Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 07:52
Great part of the country you have up there. I would love to see it in the wet season, would be something special.

Josh
FollowupID: 650460

Reply By: Member - Alex B - Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 06:29

Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 06:29
G'dat Josh,
Great post. Inspirational and motivating!

Hope to cross paths and stories one day
Cheers
Alex B
Enjoy everyday, make your own luck & help a few along the way.

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 382838

Follow Up By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 08:00

Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 08:00
I love the comment next to your profile image. We left with not much and when we got back we had a little bit less but the expirience was worth every cent or should I say dollar. Where in Vic are you? Would be good to catch up one day. If you every make it to Tassie drop me a line and drop in.

Josh
FollowupID: 650462

Reply By: RV Powerstream P/L - Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 07:17

Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 07:17
Read your site entered your guest book and now sit in envy.
Dont stop doing what you enjoy as a family.
Ian
AnswerID: 382840

Follow Up By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 08:18

Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 08:18
Thanks Ian, Before we did cape york we felt we were ready to settle but after cape york we want to keep travelling. We plan to stop for about 3-4 years and then hopefully do another big trip before the girls get into high school. We talked about doing a trip for so long but one day we realised unless we actualy do it then it will always just be a dream. We do not regret selling the house or quitting our jobs. Our only regret is that..... um, can't think of one lol. What ever a trip like this costs it is worth it.

Josh
FollowupID: 650464

Reply By: jschacher1 - Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 08:16

Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 08:16
Truly awesome........
Hopefully I can do the same when my time comes; in 10 years?
I have seen a lot already of this beautiful country of ours, however there is so much more to see and do......again a fantastic post, looking forward to check out your web site!
AnswerID: 382847

Follow Up By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 08:30

Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 08:30
We too still have a lot to see. It's funny, when we were planning our trip we estimated the distance around oz as 18,000 kms, then we rounded it up to 20,000 and doubled it to allow for going bush. We even added 10,000kms to the total to be safe equalling 50,000 klms as our estimate for the trip. We were 31,000 kms short and we still haven't really seen that much of the country. Guess we had to leave something for next time lol.

Josh
FollowupID: 650465

Reply By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 09:16

Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 09:16
What a great read Josh, it makes me wish I had done something like that years ago.

I guess your clock is on countdown already.

You have given us all itchy feet now, and scratching won't help.

Dave

'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 382851

Follow Up By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 09:34

Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 09:34
Don't worry Dave my itch is still in need of scratching lol.

Josh
FollowupID: 650469

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 09:16

Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 09:16
Your kids will be forever grateful Josh.

Cheers,
Peter & Margaret.
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 382852

Follow Up By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 09:39

Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 09:39
We were at a friends house the other night looking at photos when I heard Julia crying. I asked what was wrong, she said she missed doing all the fun things like swimming in gorges and fishing off jetties. I think we will be doing more trips some how. Someone said to me the other day when the girls are 15 and say they are going back packing it is all my fault lol. I said that fine, we will go with them. It has been great for the family unity to do this trip.

Josh
FollowupID: 650470

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 10:51

Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 10:51
Gday Josh,
Wow....what a great post.
Makes me want to load up and go for a drive!
In fact I think I will sit down with the Mrs tonight and make some plans. We have been thinking of moving for a while (until my little accident LOL) and I think its time to bite the bullet and jump into the unknown.
Look forward to checking out your website.
Thanks for the enthusiasm!!!

Cheers
Hairy
AnswerID: 382857

Follow Up By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 12:09

Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 12:09
Hi hairy, Just a suggestion, let SWMBO think of doing the trip lol, it works better. Seriously the unknown is a great place to be. We loved the idea of packing up and not really knowing where we were camping that night. When we left I was homeless, unemployed and debt free and it felt so good. If you do, sorry, when you head off hehehehe on your trip drop in for a chat if you can find us.

Josh
FollowupID: 650482

Reply By: The Lobster - Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 11:12

Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 11:12
I always suspected we had the cheapest fuel here in Townsville. Quite a few times I've driven to Brisbane only to find the fuel at least a few cents cheaper here, usually at Crystal Creek about 45 mins north of Townsville.

Does anyone know why that is? Is this the first stop for the fuel tankers or something? Does that make a difference?

Anyhow, it probably isn't the cheapest any more now that the subsidy is gone.

Out of curiosity, which 80 series do you have? Factory turbo diesel, stock 1HZ, or after market turbo 1HZ? Any problems or repairs needed to be done along the way?

Thanks, and great write-up.

matt
AnswerID: 382858

Follow Up By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 12:03

Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 12:03
Hi Matt,
We have the 1hz with aftermarket turbo and intercooler 1993. The car handle the trip amazingly towing our camper. We had really no trouble at all until we got to Sale on our way to the tip. The alternator died and we had a new one fitted. Not sure what they did but when we got to Bairnsdale the belts came of and the engine got real hot. By the time we got to Coffs Harbour it was using oil and blowing smoke. It needed an engine rebuild.
We are still "negotiating " with the auto elec, when it was fitted the pulleys didn't line up??????. There were a couple of problems with the rebuild also, seals not done properly but all sorted now. The car has been really good all up. The only problem really was people not doing their job properly.
We did replace rear shocks in Esperance and had a cracked exhaust joint. We had an electrical problem in Broome. When we got the new car kit for the sat phone they put the screws through the wiring under the carpet and shorted it out. Timing belt in Darwin.
Of course there was regular maintenance as you would expect being on the road all the time but all up very happy with how it went.
We had All Terrain in Moorabin (melbourne) do a pretrip inspection and preparation before we left which was great. We always tried to keep maintenance up and if it needed fixing we just fixed it. Very capable vehicle and got us into some amazing places. All up very happy with it.

Josh
FollowupID: 650481

Follow Up By: The Lobster - Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 12:40

Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 12:40
Diesel rebuild? Ouch! I bet that wasn't cheap. Sounds a bit strange that an alternator pulley could cause that? Maybe your harmonic balance let go? Not sure, but it all sounds a little fishy.

Well thanks for the info, really useful.

matt
FollowupID: 650486

Follow Up By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 13:18

Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 13:18
When the alternator was fitted the pulley on the alternator sat forward of the water pump pulley and the main crank pulley which both lined up. When we had it rebuilt the mechanics could not get it to line up at all. They put a new alternator on and all lined up. We are trying to work out why the other pulley didn't line up. When the belts came off the water pumped stopped working overheating the engine causing the damage. It overheated very quickly, I suspect the water pump wasn't turning properly as one belt had broken and the other belt rolled over before breaking. You could see on the belt where it had been rubbing, The belts rolling over happened again later on which is when we found that the pulleys did not line up. We had also had trouble with the alternator lights coming on due to a bad connection after they fitted the alternator. All up a bad job really. We are trying to work out why it didn't line up when the water pump and crank pulley did line up????. Anyway all fixed now and going well.
FollowupID: 650492

Follow Up By: mazcan barry - Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 13:40

Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 13:40
hi josh
a wonderful and great trip you have raised the bar for everyone i did 30000km when i went around in 1980 in 8 months so i aint seen nothing yet,
but the handbrake wanted to return home or i'd probably still be out there!
thanks for the enlightenment and great imfo on here
how many km's had the 1hz done at rebiuld
thanks for a great read cheers and enjoy your future
mazcan barry
FollowupID: 650494

Follow Up By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 14:58

Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 14:58
At rebuild about 325,000, really only run in lol.

josh
FollowupID: 650498

Follow Up By: The Lobster - Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 16:00

Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 16:00
I have heard of belts on 1HZs twisting before, but it's usually a harmonic balance issue. Maybe they put the wrong alternator/pulley on? I know there are pulley differences depending on the year your 1HZ was built. When I replaced my air con clutch/pulley recently, I had to make sure I got the exact same replacement part or the pulley would have been offset slightly differently.

Anyway, nice to hear it's sorted now.

matt
FollowupID: 650500

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 21:27

Saturday, Sep 12, 2009 at 21:27
Good on ya. I just opened your web site. I was going to turn in early tonight. WAS
I packed the van up today and heading off in a couple of days again. Spring cleaning the car tomorrow. I need a bit of elbow grease to get red cape dust off the rubber seals.
Sharon.
AnswerID: 382902

Follow Up By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Sunday, Sep 13, 2009 at 15:31

Sunday, Sep 13, 2009 at 15:31
I know what you mean about the red dust. I rekon it shows a good trip when you have to scrub the red dirt off. As soon as I get a chance I going to put a diary of our travels but that will take a bit to do. Maree kept a detailed dairy so I will use that to give an idea of where we went and when and what we did a long the way. Where are you heading to next?????

Happy travelling
Josh
FollowupID: 650608

Reply By: Member - Lance S (VIC) - Sunday, Sep 13, 2009 at 11:00

Sunday, Sep 13, 2009 at 11:00
Josh Maree Julia and Jasmine,

I am in awe of you doing such a massive trip with the kids. We did 8 weeks in the Kimberley region which was a great trip for my 3 kids, but compared to you it was only a drop in the ocean. But as said before the kids will remember, dream and talk about it for the rest of there lives. We have been back for 3 weeks now and kids practically talk about our trip every day, whether to me or to there friends. But its the little bits that the kids remember more, that sometimes we take for granted that amuses me.

Anyway enjoy the rest of your trip and safe travelling

cheers,

Lance
Home Away from Home

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 382956

Follow Up By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Sunday, Sep 13, 2009 at 15:39

Sunday, Sep 13, 2009 at 15:39
It is amazing what the kids think was great and what we think. Some of the simplest things we did were the best. Looking for opal in andamooka or garnets at Gem Tree were some of the best things we did even though we snorkled over amazing coral, went to wet n wild and australia zoo. They can remember stuff like it was yesterday and place like we lived there for years. We have met so many amzing people on our travels and now have friends all over the place. We are already planning another trip lol.

Josh
FollowupID: 650611

Reply By: mattd - Friday, Sep 25, 2009 at 23:43

Friday, Sep 25, 2009 at 23:43
Josh,

A little bit different to driving the cheese truck!!! Wonderful trip!!!

Mattd
AnswerID: 384658

Sponsored Links