spot messenger

Hi all i purchased a SPOT MESSENGER recently and would recomend this communication device to any person who is contemplating buying one.
The spot is simple to use and for the right price .
Family and friends can see where you are at any given time.
Regards Garny
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: equinox - Monday, Nov 30, 2009 at 21:30

Monday, Nov 30, 2009 at 21:30
I bought one today off ebay, I'm interested in the tracking feature.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 393304

Follow Up By: garny - Monday, Nov 30, 2009 at 23:32

Monday, Nov 30, 2009 at 23:32
Good Allan i dont have tracking
Brian
FollowupID: 661383

Reply By: Member - Tezza Qld - Monday, Nov 30, 2009 at 21:44

Monday, Nov 30, 2009 at 21:44
Hi I am also interested in the tracking feature of the Spot but are they all the same? For sale on Ebay they look identicle but vary in price from $50 to $230 Love to buy one for $50 but are there different models. According to my Google search they are all the same. Anybody shed some light on this?
Cheers Teza
AnswerID: 393309

Follow Up By: garny - Monday, Nov 30, 2009 at 23:39

Monday, Nov 30, 2009 at 23:39
Hi Teza
they are all the same as far as i know i paid $112 on ebay 4 mnths ago they will become cheaper from retailers who are asking $300
Brian
FollowupID: 661385

Follow Up By: Ian V - Saturday, Dec 19, 2009 at 22:38

Saturday, Dec 19, 2009 at 22:38
Units bought from Australian retailers give you a free live tracking upgrade for 12 months. That saves about $55 Australian ($49.99US).

Also a $25AUD rebate is offered for Australian ones till the 31st of December, 2009. Imported ones don't offer either of these. So effectively you are saving $80 and have warranty covered here!

The Authorised Australian distributors website has a list of authorised retailers.
www.piplus.com.au
FollowupID: 664358

Reply By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Tuesday, Dec 01, 2009 at 00:43

Tuesday, Dec 01, 2009 at 00:43
I borrowed a SPOT from a mate and went hiking through the forest. As with any GPS, tree coverage knocks back the GPS signal so there were several of my "I'm Okay" messages that didn't through. It was very reassuring to have and I made sure I triggered an 'all okay' message at every open road crossing so family could keep track of us. These all got through, just the ones in deep forest that didn't.

This was the older model, just superseded.

Despite this minor problem, I see them as an excellent product. Many times when travelling, we know we are okay, and can let the VKS 737 network know we are okay, but that leaves our family and jealous work colleagues in the dark. SPOT lets them locate just where we are each day and is a whole lot of fun for those left behind.

Tim

AnswerID: 393326

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Dec 01, 2009 at 08:23

Tuesday, Dec 01, 2009 at 08:23
Garny,

I have been using Spot Tracking since May this year.

I had it on for the 20 weeks I was away touring around the CSR, Simpson Desert and Kimberly area.

I had the tracking device on and my wife was able to check my progress every day. Click on to the tracking page and while she was at work in Sydney she could see that I was in Cape Leveque.It was almost like she was with me but unfortunately some one in the family has to keep working.

Being able to zoom in on where I was camping or a place that I was passing through via Google Earth is a great feature.
It would only take 6 minutes from the time that I had stopped to set up camp before our position was revealed.

Last week I had Spot turned on while in the Vic High Country and a mate who was also tracking me, phoned just as I was making the last rocky climb up Blue Rag. Not a good time to take a call.

I have the unit mounted on the dash so that it has a clear view of the sky and has always given a good signal. I am also on the original batteries even after 20 weeks away with the unit being on every day that I was on the move.

Wayne
AnswerID: 393339

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Dec 01, 2009 at 11:36

Tuesday, Dec 01, 2009 at 11:36
Wayne - I am interested in linking the EOTrackMe service to use the Spot service can you point me at your tracking page so that I can work out what is going to be involved in getting at the tracking data please. I understand that this is possible and I will be able to have ExplorOz provide your tracking for you using our better outback maps etc.
David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 661421

Reply By: Ian V - Tuesday, Dec 01, 2009 at 11:15

Tuesday, Dec 01, 2009 at 11:15
I love mine and it works great. The ones purchased from authorised distribuotrs have the Australian C Tick approval for use here. (Communications Authority) They are also covered by Australian warranty. P.I. Plus in Melbourne is the distributor of them www.piplus.com.au. There is also a FREE 12 month live tracking offer till 31/12/09 and also a $25 AUD rebate available for them. This is only available from Authorised Australian Distributors so it makes them very competitive in price and also the peace of mind with any warranty issues.
AnswerID: 393354

Reply By: dazza62 - Tuesday, Dec 01, 2009 at 13:21

Tuesday, Dec 01, 2009 at 13:21
Have been researching these a little myself and it seems they are all the same but what varies is the level of subscription that you subscribe to.

Prices as indicated above vary from $50 out of Hong Kong to around $370 from Aus.

Has anyone acquired one from Hong Kong and if so have they had any difficulties with registration etc.

I am not aware of any specific requirement for Communications Australia tick as it appears they are all made O/S and subscription is via the US.

Appreciate any feedback.
AnswerID: 393370

Follow Up By: garny - Wednesday, Dec 02, 2009 at 00:09

Wednesday, Dec 02, 2009 at 00:09
Hi dazza i purchased my spot on ebay from Tiawan
and you are correct all subscriptions are through the usa

Garny
FollowupID: 661525

Follow Up By: Ian V - Saturday, Dec 19, 2009 at 22:34

Saturday, Dec 19, 2009 at 22:34
All subscriptions are through the US but the devices use the Australian ground gateways to get the message there. That is why they need C Tick approval.

SPOT have also just recalled all SPOT 2 devices due to a possible power problem.

Good luck if you bought it off the net and shipping it back to the retailer overseas for exchange! May have been worth buying it in Australia and getting local warranty! I'm glad I did. I found out that Mr Boats is selling US products so any warranty for gear from him will be back to the US too!
Authiorised Australian retaillers are at the Aussie distributors website www.piplus.com.au

So far no issues with SPOT 1 but nice to have the extra security in case there is a problem.

The SPOT 2 recall notice is www.findmespot.com/exchange
FollowupID: 664356

Reply By: Member - Lotzi (QLD) - Tuesday, Dec 01, 2009 at 14:28

Tuesday, Dec 01, 2009 at 14:28
Hi

Didn't one of the EO members travel from Wagga Wagga to Cape York earlier in the year for a fishing trip and use the spot messenger?

From memory we were even able to see where he made a wrong turn at Hughenden . . )), then camp at Porcupine Gorge NP, before continuing up to the Cape.

Cheers

AnswerID: 393383

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Dec 01, 2009 at 14:46

Tuesday, Dec 01, 2009 at 14:46
Calling a couple of Spot tracking users. I am looking for a one or two Members that use the Spot Tracking service. I have just tested a new interface from the EOTrackMe Realtime Online Tracking system that will allow us to integrate the Spot Tracking system into our EOTrackMe service so that you will be able to be tracked on your Member profile page on ExplorOz and on the EOTrackMe Realtime Online Tracking page. One of the big advantages of this service will be the ability to save your tracks and integrate them into your blogs or other areas on ExplorOz as we develop these features.

So for now I just need a couple of Spot tracking users - it does not effect your spot service and costs nothing and will show your tracks directly on ExplorOz. So if you are keen to help me develop this feature please let me know.
David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 393386

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi_In_Aussie (Wagga - Sunday, Dec 20, 2009 at 21:21

Sunday, Dec 20, 2009 at 21:21
David

Feel free to use my page if it helps

KiwiAngler's SPOT tracking page

FollowupID: 664525

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, Dec 21, 2009 at 11:33

Monday, Dec 21, 2009 at 11:33
Hi David,
Here's my link, Geoff's SPOT

There's nothing in there at the moment, I'll kick it off and leave it in the car over the Christmas break to at least create some points.

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 664607

Follow Up By: Who was that again? (Vic) - Monday, Dec 21, 2009 at 12:57

Monday, Dec 21, 2009 at 12:57
David, just back. Here is mine.John's Spot
FollowupID: 664619

Reply By: iamian - Tuesday, Dec 01, 2009 at 17:13

Tuesday, Dec 01, 2009 at 17:13
Hi, there is new model coming out within the next 1-2 months, It will be slightly different shape but will have same features...that's why there are some good deals on the OLD model now. I've also heard the new models are more reliable but they do chew through the batteries on TRACK mode. Batteries are only good for 4-5 days when using tracking mode. Make sure you buy from authorised Aus dealer for warranty backup and compliance
AnswerID: 393393

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Dec 01, 2009 at 21:31

Tuesday, Dec 01, 2009 at 21:31
iamian,

If that is the case about the new model going through batteries is not good.

The original model that i have got is still on the first set of batteries. It does say when the batteries need to be replaced they must be replaced with Lithium Batteries. They are not cheap and can be hard to find.

I used the tracking mode just about every day for 20 weeks with out any problems. Only last week it was in use for 7 days in the Vic High Country.

Wayne
FollowupID: 661506

Follow Up By: Ian V - Saturday, Dec 05, 2009 at 13:37

Saturday, Dec 05, 2009 at 13:37
SPOT 1 version uses are 2 x Energizer AA Lithium batteries. The 600 shot ones they advertise on the TV. You can get then virtually at any supermarket / kmart or photo shop. The book says 14 days in tracking mode for this model.
For the new model, SPOT 2 it uses 3 x AAA batteries and you will get 4.3 days out of a set. About 1/3 of the current one. Just using OK and Help etc will give about 1300 messages. The tracking and light up kep s is what sucks the juice.
FollowupID: 662014

Follow Up By: Ian V - Saturday, Dec 05, 2009 at 14:08

Saturday, Dec 05, 2009 at 14:08
The Australian distributor is P. I. Plus Pty Ltd - www.piplus.com.au l- ocated in Melbourne. There is a full list of retail outlets around Australia there (the Ballarat one is a retailer and not a distributor) .
FollowupID: 662021

Reply By: Member - Tezza Qld - Tuesday, Dec 01, 2009 at 19:51

Tuesday, Dec 01, 2009 at 19:51
Hi I have just been doing more research on the spot and I found a new distributor in Ballarat as from Sept 09. I n the article it states " Spot uses the gps system of satelites to find its location and then transmits this data using the Globalstar Satelite Network Use of this system is via yearly subscribtion fee."

Having once owned a Globalstar supported sat phone it raises a few concernes.
The sat phone coverage was very poor in the area north of about the Tropic of Capricorn. At other times it was also fairly hit and miss. Apparently their sat signal was relayed to earth and then proceeded through the landline phone system. They had three bases from memory, Mt Isa , Meekatharra , but the last one escapes me.

Is anyone using one in the northern areas ?
I understand that all signals drop out sometimes and am not knocking the product as I want to buy one , just sharing my research.

Cheers Teza
AnswerID: 393408

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Dec 01, 2009 at 21:44

Tuesday, Dec 01, 2009 at 21:44
Teza,

From Bright in Victoria to Broome in Western Australia, I did not experience any signal problem.

I did have a chance to check it out at Ayers Rock. It did show where I was camped in the camp ground and from there I was able to move the map to have a look at Ayers Rock from a satellite view.

If it was not getting a signal through I would have heard from friends that were tracking me.

Wayne
FollowupID: 661508

Follow Up By: Member - Tezza Qld - Tuesday, Dec 01, 2009 at 22:07

Tuesday, Dec 01, 2009 at 22:07
Thanks Wayne,

Have been reading more about them on line with no negitive reports.
The ones from Hong Kong for $50 interest me but will I be able to get them resgistered? Might pay the extra and buy from a Aussie dealer.

Thanks for your follow up

Cheers Teza
FollowupID: 661515

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Dec 01, 2009 at 22:41

Tuesday, Dec 01, 2009 at 22:41
I was a bit sus about HK too Teza, I bought mine from Mr Boat (Aus) $165...

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 661518

Follow Up By: garny - Wednesday, Dec 02, 2009 at 00:20

Wednesday, Dec 02, 2009 at 00:20
Tezza dont worry about the spot reaching a sattelite signal as they only use the send side of Global Star so the only obsticle to hinder is vegitation cover
Brian

FollowupID: 661527

Follow Up By: Ian V - Saturday, Dec 05, 2009 at 14:03

Saturday, Dec 05, 2009 at 14:03
SPOT uses the Simplex band of the satellites which is very reliable. It is the same principal as a normal mobile phone. Sometimes you can't call or get proper communication with a mobile (duplex communication) but you can still send them an SMS message. It only has to transmit a very small packet of info so it is more reliable. Also the OK will send 3 times over a 20 minute period for redundancy (only 1 message will be dilivered) and the Help will send every 5 minutes for 1 hour and all successful messages will be delivered. 911 with transmit every 5 minutes for 7 days on a set of new batteries or until you turn it off.
FollowupID: 662019

Reply By: iamian - Wednesday, Dec 02, 2009 at 07:44

Wednesday, Dec 02, 2009 at 07:44
Checkout the following link where they do a comparison of Spot Ver 1 and ver 2. I have no vested interest in SPOT, just doing some research before I buy as I'm not sure whether to go Sat Phone rental, EPIRB purchase or SPOT purchase. All seem to have Pro's and Con's :)
http://www.findmespot.net.au/
Safe travelling
Ian
AnswerID: 393441

Follow Up By: garny - Wednesday, Dec 02, 2009 at 21:00

Wednesday, Dec 02, 2009 at 21:00
Hi Ian
I went through the same and decided on the spot as it has more options than epirb the sat phone was to exspensive for the ammount of times i would use it
regards Brian
FollowupID: 661618

Follow Up By: Ian V - Saturday, Dec 05, 2009 at 13:58

Saturday, Dec 05, 2009 at 13:58
SPOT 1 & SPOT 2 – A few differences

SPOT 1SPOT 2
Battery Life in tracking 14 x 24hrs 4.3days x 24
Batteries Used 2 x AA Lithium 3 x AAA Lithium
Floats Yes Only in neoprene arm band
supplied with unit
Light up buttons No Yes
Additional Message feature No Yes

Depending on your requirements the SPOT 1 may suit you better. If you want it for tracking then SPOT 1 will last a lot longer. Around water the SPOT 2 only floats in the armband.
FollowupID: 662018

Reply By: Rodfly - Tuesday, Dec 08, 2009 at 14:08

Tuesday, Dec 08, 2009 at 14:08
Is there any recorded instance of anyone in Australia having actually used the emergency function on a SPOT instrument?
I would be interested to hear of any thing, in particular the time lapse between activation and response recorded on the instrument and on the ground.
From reading all your posts, it's pretty clear that for the sake of a couple of hundred dollars (not much if you say it fast) you avoid a few complications that would have you wishing you'd not been a cheapskate and paid full local price. Annual subscription costs seem to vary a little which is interesting too.
AnswerID: 394211

Follow Up By: Ian V - Saturday, Dec 19, 2009 at 22:31

Saturday, Dec 19, 2009 at 22:31
There has now been 11 activation in Australia. This is the latest rescue of a couple of guys in Tasmania who got "stuck" on a walk.

Have a read.. http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2977

SPOT have also just recalled all SPOT 2 devices due to a possible power problem.

Good luck if you bought it off the net and shipping it back to the retailer overseas for exchange! May have been worth buying it in Australia and getting local warranty! I'm glad I did. I found out that Mr Boats is selling US products so any warranty for gear from him will be back to the US too!
Authiorised Australian retaillers are at the Aussie distributors website www.piplus.com.au

FollowupID: 664354

Reply By: dazza62 - Wednesday, Dec 09, 2009 at 21:18

Wednesday, Dec 09, 2009 at 21:18
Ok, I know I am a sucker for a bargain (haven't had a problem with O/S purchases yet) so took the plunge on the Hong Kong item.

Couldn't be bothered waiting so went for the buy it know price of A$50 plus A$17 delivery.

Bought two on 2/12. Both arrived in the mail on 7/12. Registered one online on 7/12 and have sent plenty of Ok messages since. All arrived without a problem and when I checked the mapping system all showed exactly where I was at that time to within a few metres. (Perhaps if Tiger Woods had one he could deny a few of the claims currently being made LOL)

Am I concerned about warranty - NO, study Consumer Law and neither should you.

Look forward to putting this to use as it offers much more flexibility than an epirb and is much cheaper than a Sat phone.

Cheers Dazza.
AnswerID: 394428

Follow Up By: Ian V - Saturday, Dec 19, 2009 at 22:41

Saturday, Dec 19, 2009 at 22:41

So far no issues with SPOT 1 but nice to have the extra security in case there is a problem.

FollowupID: 664359

Follow Up By: dazza62 - Sunday, Dec 20, 2009 at 12:46

Sunday, Dec 20, 2009 at 12:46
Have to agree with you Ian, no problems with the SPOT 1 that I purchased.

Have been bush the last week with it and no operating problems either. Have verifed my messages with a handheld GPS recordings and they are all spot on. Only problem I have found is that the Manager Domestic Enterprises now knows exactly where I am. LOL

Still happy with my O/S purchase and have spare cash for Christmas cheer and bait.

FollowupID: 664442

Reply By: iamian - Thursday, Dec 10, 2009 at 08:30

Thursday, Dec 10, 2009 at 08:30
Hi Dazza, can you tell me where you got yours for $50.00? I think I'll get one too......as long as it works OK in Oz it should be fine. Have you used the Check-in feature and was it a Spot version 2 you got?
Cheers, Ian
AnswerID: 394466

Follow Up By: Ian V - Saturday, Dec 19, 2009 at 22:41

Saturday, Dec 19, 2009 at 22:41

FollowupID: 664360

Follow Up By: dazza62 - Sunday, Dec 20, 2009 at 13:11

Sunday, Dec 20, 2009 at 13:11
Hello iamian,

Sorry I haven't responded as I have been bush.

I purchased a SPOT 1 and am absolutely delighted with it.

The ebayer I purchased from was bbpenhay. I notice he is currently not selling any but still has 100% feedback. He advised me he had plenty more at this price so may be worth contacting him through ebay if you are interested.

Have used the check in feature regularly and have taken recordings from my handheld GPS to verify on my return home. I do not intend to use the tracking feature as I have included my email in my support team contacts. When I return home and check my emails I have all the locations I have been waiting for me.

Good luck with your purchase as I beleive this device deserves the recognition it has been getting as an aid in contact and survival.

Cheers Dazza.
FollowupID: 664452

Reply By: iamian - Saturday, Dec 19, 2009 at 22:56

Saturday, Dec 19, 2009 at 22:56
Haven't got mine yet, but this recall will probably convince me to buy locally!!!
AnswerID: 395749

Follow Up By: dazza62 - Sunday, Dec 20, 2009 at 13:16

Sunday, Dec 20, 2009 at 13:16
Wouldn't deter me. Still happy with my O/S purchase.

I know this is not very patriotic but the price difference is to great to justify and in my opinion the savings far outwiegh the risk.

FollowupID: 664453

Follow Up By: dazza62 - Sunday, Dec 20, 2009 at 22:20

Sunday, Dec 20, 2009 at 22:20
Quite night here so have been doing a spot of surfing. Just found this on the Spot website in regard to the SPOT 2 recall.

"Non-USA customers will follow the same procedure as Canadian customers. When we have the units available for shipping we will ship a unit that is already operational to you along with shipping materials for the return of the original unit that you have."

Seems it doesn't matter where you purchased it. Now thats what I call warranty!!!
FollowupID: 664544

Sponsored Links