Two lucky tourists

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 15:23
ThreadID: 100003 Views:3937 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Gidday

This is doing the rounds in WA's media today:

"TWO Swiss tourists missing since Saturday in remote northern Western Australia have been found alive and well after walking for three days.

Gerald Augsburger, 62, and his 61-year-old wife Lotti were due to check out of their accommodation in Kununurra on Sunday morning, but they didn't appear at reception.

A land search and rescue operation was stepped up on Tuesday, with searchers also taking to the air.

The tourists were found by two Wyndham residents on the Gibb River Road, about 5km east of the Pentecost River, which is about 100km from Kununurra.

Police said their four wheel drive vehicle became bogged on the Karunjie Track on Saturday, and the couple spent the next three days walking along the Pentecost River to the Gibb River Road.

Their rescuers brought them to the Kununurra Police Station, and they were taken to the Kununurra District Hospital for medical check-ups."

Cheers

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 21:13

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 21:13
G'day,

I heard about this today, but thanks for putting up. I thought they walked across the Pentecost and was wondering why they didn't go back to Home Valley.

Doing the Karunjie Track wet is never going to happen.

I wonder what the people that own the vehicle are thinking.

Steve
AnswerID: 502644

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 23:50

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 23:50
Great trip in the dry - except for the bull dust at the Pentacost end :-(((

FollowupID: 779491

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 09:41

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 09:41
It's a spectacular drive. That section in your photo is amazing.

We had the steering arm part company with the front hub on our Landcruiser about a kilometre from the Pentecost. We fixed it up with some bush mecahnics and kept going this way because there was no traffic or corrugations.

The bulldust section was a bit hairy for us because it was held together with tie wire, a tie down strap and one bolt, but the mudflats were a joy to drive on when we got there.

Then there's the Cockburn Ranges off to the right the whole way. They are amazing.

Steve
FollowupID: 779505

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 10:37

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 10:37
Imagine how I felt doing that last section of bulldust towing my Conqueror UEV490 at night !!!!

Not something I will be doing again I can assure you :-))))
FollowupID: 779512

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 19:49

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 19:49
Was it the feeling of adventure, or frustration?

Why did you have to keep pushing on in the dark?

We tried avoiding the bulldust holes as much as we could but it got to the point where we had to drop into it.

I was actually really happy the steering arm didn't drop off in The Pentecost. That would have been a royal pain in the backside.

I checked your Spot tracker log. You've done a few kays in the last year.
We have a Spot when we're away but we haven't setup the tracker. Missus didn't really want to. They're a good way to keep in touch and have a backup if you need to call for help.
Good value I reckon.

Steve
FollowupID: 779559

Reply By: Member - John and Regina M - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 22:20

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 22:20
At the moment the track is open.
It will be closed this week is my guess.
AnswerID: 502653

Sponsored Links