Xtrail internal fan only working on 4

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 16:12
ThreadID: 100006 Views:8536 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys, I have a 2004 xtrail ST that up until 2 weeks ago had a fan that worked in all positions except position 2. Now it only works on position 4 which is flat out and very loud. I had read a post on here telling you where to look to replace something but I can't find it in the archives. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and able to help?

Thanks all.

Robyn
Dereelgirl

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 16:43

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 16:43
Hi Robyn,

Not sure how much help this will be with a Nissan but here goes anyway.
My rather elderly Landcruiser exhibited similar problems with the HVAC (heater) fan.
First I lost position 1, the lowest, not to bad. Then 2 went..hmmmm I can live with that. Then the last straw 3 went.
Now on the Cruiser there is a resistor block mounted on the fan housing which on my old beast lives just above the passengers footwell. Where that bit calls home on your Xtrail I don't know but maybe a call to a Nissan dealer might help.
This resistor bank allows the fan speed to be varied depending on the switch position.
As I said maybe on a vehicle like yours which is many years younger than mine that function is computer controlled but the symptoms sound very much the same.

Hope that helps
Pop
AnswerID: 502618

Follow Up By: Member - DereelGirl - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 16:50

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 16:50
Hi Pop,

I've been doing some research on the Xtrail site and I believe you're right. I think all I have to do is remove the glovebox and I should be able to see the resister bank. I will try and repair it or visit Nissan and pay a fortune for a replacement. Thanks for your quick (& correct ) response, I knew someone would know what I was talking about.

Cheers

Robyn
Dereelgirl

FollowupID: 779116

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 19:27

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 19:27
hi dereel girl
my mazda bravo had same/simular symtoms as you and robyn
and i had to replace the resister it was
also behind the glove box and wasnt that difficult to get at
took about 20mins for the whole job
cheers barry
FollowupID: 779135

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 19:28

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 19:28
ha ha should have said you and pop
FollowupID: 779136

Reply By: Ross M - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 22:38

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 22:38
DereelGirl
It works on 4 because that position is full power to the fan motor.
All other speeds use the different resistor settings to slow the motor.

There is two things you should do apart from getting a new resistor fitted.

1. When turning on the fan motor, always, always, turn the fan to a high speed and then down to the speed you want. This makes the fan start spinning and it gets over the initial sluggish starting drag which burns out fan resistors.

2. Remove the fan unit and make sure the motor bearings are lubricated with something like Mobil 1 which doesn't evaporate like other oils and will keep the fan bearing spinning free and happy for a long time, no see. If you don't do this and the vehicle is has done a few km's then you WILL be replacing the resistor again soon.
Long time, no see is better.

Also make sure there is no residue or dust build up near the fan which would hold it to a slower speed and burn out the control resistor.

Cheers

Ross M
AnswerID: 502655

Follow Up By: Member - DereelGirl - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 00:34

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 00:34
Thanks Ross,

I had read about it & knew why it was doing it but I couldn't find the thread on how to get to it etc. I didn't know about turning to 4 first, so thanks for that little tip, I guess it makes sense tho. The fan has just started to make a few odd noises so the bearings might need replacing, not sure if I have the flexibility to get the motor out and do that. I'm waiting on a cooler day to tackle it, the car has just clocked up 200K

Cheers

Robyn
Dereelgirl

FollowupID: 779161

Follow Up By: Ross M - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 00:56

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 00:56
The bearings are usually a porous sintered bronze material. Looks like dull brass with fine holes in it. It absorbs oil for continued lubrication over time.
I use a syringe and needle to inject the oil straight to the shaft of the fan and it soaks into the bearing. Have to repeat, add small amounts at a time, you don't want run off if at all possible.
You may not have to dismantle the fan motor itself.

See you later.
"Just got to go and give myself a shot of Mobil1", keeps the joints from seizing up, far better than that krill stuff. Have you seen how much 5litres of krill oil costs these days?

Cheers

Ross M
FollowupID: 779164

Reply By: tungbean - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 11:43

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 11:43
I have a Nissan Navarra that had the same problem - I removed the glove box and down under and at the rear of the fan was a set of wires and plug that clipped to the resistor. I pulled down on the plug to remove it. The resistor is held in place with two screws and the rear one was very difficult to remove owning to the limited space to get at it. After it was removed I got the part number that is printed on the resistor and phoned the Nissan Parts dealer. It was in stock and $65.60 retail. I drove in collected the part and when i got back home pushed it in place and replaced the screws. Turned on the fan and Bob's you Uncle.

AnswerID: 502682

Follow Up By: Ross M - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 16:07

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 16:07
tungbean
Did you ask yourself, why did it burn out in the first place?

Unfortunately, most people don't investigate and only treat the symptom and not the cause.
Usually the causes, as mentioned in the texts above, have to be considered if the new resistor is going to last.
The faults which burn out a resistor never fix themselves and they only get worse, so a look at the cause is a sound thing to do.

Ross M
FollowupID: 779206

Reply By: tungbean - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 16:20

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 16:20
I bought the resistor only after I was sure that I could remove it myself and confirm it was the problem. The resistor was rusty and corroded on one corner - it is a 2004 Navarra.
Problem fixed no sign of any other problems.
AnswerID: 502706

Sponsored Links