Caravan Suspension

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 18:05
ThreadID: 100008 Views:2554 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Just had new springs fitted to our camper, the old ones were from the previous owner who welded on land cruiser springs n shocks(Don't ever use these by the way, they constantly sag on one side or the other and even after having them reset it happens again within a few months).

I went in to see Paul at P&S Springworks in Kalgoorlie to get a price on ripping the old set off and starting again with proper trailer springs. He was extremely helpful and knowledgable, runs his own one man show and loves it.

He is extremely well priced; quoted 700 bucks for the whole job, but when I went in this arvo to pick it up(only dropped it in this morning by the way) he said he would knock off an extra 200 bucks!! He knew I was travelling and didn't have a heap of spare money floating around. What a bloke! Dying breed these days.

So $500 later I have a van that sits lower - like a stander off road trailer should-, nice and level, and tows a bucket load better!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - ken m4 - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 18:54

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 18:54
Great to have a list of these helpful artisans for future reference
AnswerID: 502634

Reply By: Work2Travel - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 20:21

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 20:21
Hi their Trippin, Wow you dont often hear stories of people taking money off the quoted price, normally you go back to pick up your vehicle and they have tacked on an extra hundred or two. Good to give people like these some publicity on these sites. Well done.
AnswerID: 502639

Reply By: Ross M - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 22:26

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 22:26
G'day RTH
I have used Landcruiser springs on camper trailers and found them to be quite ok.
Also used them on Landcruisers too.
Some leaf springs can sag however, but if they are dropped one side and sometimes not, it is usually because of the weight and interleaf friction holding the spring from "springing back".
New springs can also do the same thing and some lanolin spray or moly spray on the parted unladen leaves, can lubricate the leaves and cure the problem.
This interleaf lube will also make the spring work better and give a softer more compliant ride. ie the eggs won't break so often.
Good you got an attractive deal on the changeover.

Cheers

Ross M
AnswerID: 502654

Sponsored Links