Nissan ZD30 (3TDi) Serious Problem with Piston

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 09:23
ThreadID: 10001 Views:13665 Replies:6 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
I've just had my ZD30 (3TDi) engine blow up with a piston problem at 101,000 km, I towed the car to Nissan and they had two engines still on the floor from the same problem in recent weeks. Does anyone else know of such serious problems starting to show with this engine?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: hungry - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 09:47

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 09:47
Should add its a Nov 2000 series 1 model, I've had it serviced by Nissan every 10,000km on the dot which is better than the books 15,000km recommendation. It was recalled early on to have the oil capacity increased. I've had no other problems in the last 3 years and I've owned it from new. I often tow a T/Van which weighs about 700km and was travelling at 110km on a highway when the engine blew up. It made a pinging sound, lost power and blew a mountain of smoke and that was that. I'm due to buy another one soon but that will depend on how Nissan treat me with this just out of warrenty claim.
AnswerID: 44255

Follow Up By: goingplatinumcomau - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 12:20

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 12:20
Gidday Hungry

Sorry to hear of your delemar
The term you may want to check into is .........Implied Warranty....from memory that is what is required when the product is just out of warranty and the the dealers try there tricks .........hope this helps.

Shane
FollowupID: 306483

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 10:00

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 10:00
If you search on this forum there is a fair bit about motors blowing up like yours. Nissan do cover them, sometimes after a bit of a fight.2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
AnswerID: 44257

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 11:56

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 11:56
Have you tried the search function?
AnswerID: 44266

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 11:59

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 11:59
Also try
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Patrol4WD/ for other numerous stories about that wonderful computerized machine.
FollowupID: 306480

Follow Up By: goingplatinumcomau - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 12:07

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 12:07
LOL That was so funny
FollowupID: 306482

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 13:59

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 13:59
T-Man .... such restraint.... I am in awe! lolIf you hold your heart and focus,
you will end up holding your dream
FollowupID: 306487

Reply By: Mad Dog Morgan (Geelong) - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 13:10

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 13:10
Yeah what a shame. Nissan have made some beaut engines in the past but unfortunately this one has a problem. Don't let them screw you. It's a well known fact that these engines have a problem. They say the problem is licked but that's yet to be proven. Unfortunately nobody wins. BEAM ME UP SCOTTY

Hooroo
Ray
maddogmorgan@mail15.com
AnswerID: 44269

Follow Up By: haze - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 18:18

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 18:18
I know the computor (fred) is supposed to control things, but Iwonder has anyone installed an EGT pyrometer on one of these 3litre Nissans. Prolonged EGT's over 1350deg.F seem to be a dead cert for burnt turbine blades and holed pistons.
FollowupID: 306499

Follow Up By: Tuco69 - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 22:00

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 22:00
" Nissan have made some beaut engines in the past but unfortunately this one has a problem. "

I'm led to believe that this engine has Renault origins. There are close ownership links between Nissan and Renault.
FollowupID: 306521

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 23:47

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 23:47
"I'm led to believe that this engine has Renault origins. There are close ownership links between Nissan and Renault"

Correct... Sad but true.

Explains a lot. ?
FollowupID: 306535

Reply By: Member - Peter- Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 18:59

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 18:59
You could be on to something there, re the EGT's as I'd reckon that the computer would be set up to run as lean a fuel/air mixture as possible to meet emission and fuel economy targets. Get it too lean and you get melted pistons and turbo's as per most of the motor's that have gone phut.
AnswerID: 44292

Follow Up By: Mark - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 20:56

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 20:56
I believe the later series III 3.0TD have more oil sprays onto the pistons for this very reason. IMHO I believe its a lack of adequate cooling of the pistons rather than excessive combustion temps on the earlier models.

The increased sump size "should" give a lower oil temp, but the later model also had the larger sump AND more oil sprays. I have yet to hear of a piston melt on the newer models, so it seems this may have fixed the problem (but would like to hear if any 3.0TD III owners have a piston melt issue).

But, what of the earlier model 3.0TD's, do Nissan add extra oil sprays when rebuilding the motor, or are they just going to cook again in another 100,000kms!!!

Cheers

Mark
2003 GU 3.0TD

FollowupID: 306512

Follow Up By: haze - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 08:23

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 08:23
Peter. A petrol engine will overheat/burnvalves etc. running lean.This is because a weak mixture burns slower.
With a diesel the opposite occurs,the fuel being introduced as a calibrated amount which rapidly self ignites. Increasing the amount of fuel increases EGT which in turn speeds the turbo to provide intake boost. It follows that at quite low engine revs. the turbo could be making maximum boost as a result of max. fuel injection. Dangerous EGT levels can rapidly occur at this stage, especially if even more fuel is injected.
In the late 60's I was involved with Mack logging trucks (maxidynes) which had EGT gauges which had a "redline" of 1100deg. If this was exeeded running at full load it was a simple matter of slightly backing off, gear changes, to bring the EGT down.
EGT is not an issue with normally aspirated engines
Banks Power has a very good site on this. Use Google search.
And FWIIW! Mack trucks have for many years now been owned by Renault! I dont think the frogs are entirely to blame
FollowupID: 306554

Follow Up By: Member - Peter- Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 09:35

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 09:35
Haze
Ha Ha I should read my posts before submitting, I know that more fuel causes EGT's to rise in diesel and will ultimately cause engine damage. Had brain fade (too early in the am) and somehow got to thinking of petrol causes. My stuff up!
Years ago I had a mate with a early 6 cylinder (1H 3.6 litre) Hj45 troopy which had a turbo on it, no wastegate and used a EGT to monitor what was going on. Boost was controlled by exhaust backpressure and fuel supplied ie right foot.
FollowupID: 306556

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 11:01

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 11:01
They did'nt increase the sump size they just changed the dip stick for one with different level markings as the sump already had the capacity for the extra oil. good trick recall car , keep for a day to change dip stick & every one thinks they put a bigger sump on.Regards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 306560

Reply By: Member - Peter- Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 21:47

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 21:47
Apparently the engine problems are/have occurred right round the world, not just here in Oz.
I've also heard that when the engines are replaced they are with current spec engines.
Not too many GU III have got enough k's on them yet to give any indication of better longevity.
Makes you wonder though that with all the cad design etc that they can get it so wrong. Or maybe they have cut the spec that far that there is no tolerance for even a slight variance on the norm.
Makes you also wonder how many other time bombs are out there waiting to go off.
Gets me on to another not unrelated subject, what is the long term lifespan of late model 4wd's.
As even the 'heavy duty' vehicles become more car like in their appointments, lighter in construction and made in such a way as to be able to do the job they are marketed to do but only for a certain length (shorter and shorter as time goes on) of time.Tough luck to the owner who loads it to its GVM continually, and heaven forbid actually expecting it to carry the load over rough roads and tracks causing the vehicle to wear out far quicker than we have in the past.
AnswerID: 44305

Follow Up By: Member - StevenL - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 22:55

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 22:55
Does it pay not to buy the absolute latest stuff. I ordered the TD Prado after hearing that the 1KZ is a carryouver with only minor enhancements. Otherwise it has been around nearly a decade in Oz and proved very reliable by all reports (including a trusted friend who has crossed the simpson twice with one in a 90 series). I balanced this against waiting for the new Common Rail Diesel engined job that is rumoured to be coming at the next Prado update late '04 / early '05. I know that this is now in other markets so by the time it comes here it should be well sorted but who knows how well it will cope out here.

Then again I suppose someone has to buy these things so the rest of us can find out how they go!

StevenLPrado GXL TD Manual
It's on order, Delivery in April '04.
This pic will have to do till then. Can't wait!!!
FollowupID: 306527

Follow Up By: Member - Peter- Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 07:48

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 07:48
Yes never buy the latest and greatest until it has been out a few years.
While I'm not bagging your Prado it is a prime example of what I was talking about with the way these vehicles are headed.
I feel that Toyota has gone backwards with the new Prado. The old Prado was very good off road especially for an IFS vehicle and performed very well.
The new one has several glaring problems, approach and departure angles are woeful, front suspension clearance prevents the fitment of decent tyres or even wheelchains and the advent of electronics in suspension and traction control instead of good suspension travel and good lsd or diff locks isn't a forward step in my book.
The vehicle may drive better on the blacktop but it is sold as a 4wd. I guess though that 99% will never see a track requiring low range.
FollowupID: 306551

Sponsored Links