Oh dear

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 21:53
ThreadID: 100023 Views:3539 Replies:7 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Warning light came on today - bad batch of fuel. So car in the garage until I can get it to the dealer on Friday.
The dealer service dept did say they'd had a few diesels in with water in the fuel lately. I'll know more on Friday afternoon.

Suppose I will need to stop using the independent around the corner. Have used them for years with no problems but they changed hands recently so...
:(
Vicki
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: madfisher - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 21:57

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 21:57
BP is the only one who guarantees their fuel. Hope everything is OK.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 502740

Follow Up By: Jeffrey B2 - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 22:12

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 22:12
I would question that guarantee.

Over the years I have had two occassions of doubtful fuel from Warwick and Stanthorpe.

On lot was in a 60 series cruiser and the other lot in a 80 series cruiser. Both vehicles were in good condition at the time.

Another point to consider, where does all the diesel originate for supply to the Cairns and Far North Queensland areas.

At the same time I do try to use B.P as a preference.

Have fun Haji-Baba.
FollowupID: 779246

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 23:12

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 23:12
I saw this fuel guarantee come up a year or so ago on the forum, the post stated that only BP guarantee their fuel.
So I asked the local BP manager about this, his reply was all major fuel outlets guarantee their fuel, so long as you can prove that you purchased the fuel from a particular outlet, it would be guaranteed.

Phil
FollowupID: 779254

Follow Up By: Rockape - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 08:48

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 08:48
Jeff,
you probably already know. Fuel for central and northern Qld come off the big boat, to the big tanks where it has a different dyes so the fuel companies can transfer it to the their little tanks(Green for BP, Yellow for Shell, Red for Caltex and Blue for Mobil. Ha. Ha. This is where each fuel company sprinkles it's secret ingredients in to give you more K's/L for free. Then it goes into the small mobile tanks and finally into the bigger tank at the servo. This tank may have nasties waiting to mix with the sprinkled fuel before it goes into your tiny tank. LOL.

I keep a complete record of where I buy fuel. Receipt and odometer reading.

RA.

FollowupID: 779270

Follow Up By: Jeffrey B2 - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 21:27

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 21:27
Yes Rockape, had my share of what I would define as crook fuel.
A big blow up in Atherton a few years ago, couldn't see cars following and trying to pass because of exreme black smoke. When I switched to my spare tank the black smoke dissapeared.

Back to the servo that day and drained all the diesel from the main tank and dumped it one of their drums. Filled again from another outlet and all was well. Big discussion as to where I bought the fuel.
Luckily I still had the docket and video proof of the smoke in their driveway. Couldn't see the concrete.

As you indicated, fuel at that time came from overseas direct to Cairns and the addatives were added there I think ???????????

The Cruiser was in good condition at the time, no pump problems or injector issues.

Simply changing the brand of fuel fixed the problem.

It took nearly two years to get any form of apology from the fuel company. I might add that I have never bought that brand of fuel since.

Have fun Haji-Baba.

FollowupID: 779345

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 22:08

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 22:08
I dread that hope its as easy as a new filter.
AnswerID: 502743

Reply By: Ross M - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 22:15

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 22:15
G'day VickiW

The warning light coming on can mean a few things.

A build up of water up to the sensing point in the fuel filter body and that would then require draining, so the warning light goes out. Best to get a new filter fitted if that happens as the dewatering capacity of the filter will now be almost nil.

The filter may have clogged and is causing a restriction to normal flow rate. This is detected and lights the light too.
The filter may have clogged because of a lot of contaminants suddenly introduced via the fuel you purchased OR it has built up over time and the filter has slowly become clogged and now too clogged. Therefore the light.

The other reason for the light is, if dealer serviced, the filter may not have been periodically replaced or in fact ever replaced at the correct service interval.
This is quite common. Some new vehicles have not received a fuel filter replacement at all and this is not good. However, most show on log books as having been replaced.

Your filter should have a drain on it and if you crack open the drain, water should come out IF water is present.
If no water or very little then it could be the clogged scenario by rubbish or lack of due filter replacement.
A service centre "with integrity" will be able to determine the fault and correctly report to you.

PS. May not be related to the independent around the corner at all.

Ross M
AnswerID: 502745

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 08:27

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 08:27
Unfortunately, independents have cut corners in the past so many are wary of using them.

Does that mean the 7-11's are independents? There seems to be an awful lot of them...

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 779269

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 20:45

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 20:45
I think that 7/11 is the retail arm of Mobil now, i could be wrong. I'm sure they use Mobil fuel. My local independant, two hundred metres away, also says he uses Mobil fuel only but all the tankers who drop fuel there are plain white so who would know? Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 779336

Follow Up By: Member - VickiW - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 21:33

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 21:33
Ross,

Is a water issue likely to be caused by something other than fuel?

I'll report back tomorrow on how I go. If it is fuel I am fairly sure I've only filled up at the one place for ages and should be able to check.

If a dealer servicing issue not sure I will find out but I will specifically ask. I did notice that on its first service the invoice said they'd checked the tyre pressure. Not sure how they managed that since it had locked tyre pressure sensors on the valves...
Vicki
FollowupID: 779347

Follow Up By: Ross M - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 09:28

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 09:28
Vicki
Possible situations.
The water can accumulate over time and then get to a critical switching point suddenly.

The fuel filter most likely will not have been "water"drained at service time and this can also cause the water build up. Slack service!

The fuel just purchased can have a % of water and it then can suddenly be drawn to the filter because the water is heavier than fuel and the fuel is drawn from the bottom of the tank where the water would be, if present in the tank.

As mentioned it may be a restriction of the filter issue because of the lack of changing filters. Both water and restriction will usually turn on the filter light so you really don't know which it is.

I know a lot of people talk about fuel and it's sources ie Singapore etc etc etc. How does that matter, it is what is in your tank which matters and we have no control over the supply chain.

As it stands I would suspect you may have a water in fuel issue or you have a dealer lack of service issue which has meant the filter hasn't been drained/changed and now the inevitable clogging has happened.

If the dealer is the one who now looks to find the problem you may never know what was the real issue cos they aint gunna admit nuffink, particularly if they regard you as not being aware of the factors relating to the issue.

Reports from forum members can alert you to many things the dealer would prefer/doesn't want you not to know.

I hope all goes well for you.

Ross M
FollowupID: 779384

Follow Up By: Stu & "Bob" - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 21:32

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 21:32
A friend of mine says that the diesel supplied to 7-11 servos in SEQLD comes from BP. He drives for BP and delivers to the 7-11's around Brisbane.

FollowupID: 779472

Reply By: NTVRX - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 08:41

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 08:41
I have had three incidents regarding contaminated fuel. 1. 2006 Navara 2.5 diesel...engine light came on. Checked filter & replaced same. Water. Car was fine after that. 2. NP diesel Pajero NO Light on vehicle just stopped......fault ....owner put $20 of unleaded into diesel fuel tank which was showing low fuel light.....vehicle shuddered to a stop.....put 60 ltrs of diesel into vehicle no problems until hot weather,put a/cond on & at idle vehicle idled rough nearly stalling.....diagnosis....damaged injector pump....replacement $5500!! I thought I had contaminated fuel....only contamination was in owners brain!!! Ha Ha. 3. NT Pajero, vehicle just stopped ......dirty fuel.....told by Mitsubishi dealer if that's the case YOU PAY for damage caused by dirty fuel then try & prove your case with fuel company.....many thousands of $$$$ involved with repair......luckily blocked filter...replaced same vehicle OK. Regarding different brands & I am not rubbishing any company here but I have been told that fuel is being bought into this country by companies from Singapore & in particular Caltex fuel there are two qualities of same...local & overseas. I don't know if anyone has experienced problems with cheap promotional fuel from one of these servos (spend $70 & get 18 cents a litre off fuel) but for safety sake and considering past experiences maybe our local refineries are worth considering ie Mobil & Shell & leave all the discounters alone
AnswerID: 502765

Reply By: 410 - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 13:12

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 13:12
Hi Vicki
I asked the question on this forum not long ago about picking up dirty fuel and someone suggested buying the "Mr Funnelman fuel filter" i am yet to get one but they look and sound the go. I think they are at BCF, they have different flow rates, so will be able to fill up quick. In regards to try and claim on where you picked up dirty fuel, you would have to be using the same supplier or company each time, because lets say you fueled up at Caltex then a BP either one would argue who had the dirty fuel. I heard of a guy picking up dirty fuel costing him $$$$$$ and the car company, the fuel company and the filter company all tried to put the blame on each other, but no one would accept responsibility. How could he prove which one caused the prob, without a big case and more money!
AnswerID: 502780

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 16:36

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 16:36
Hi Vicki,
Its not only the independents
I sample my fuel often – with a Mr Funnel.
That is I pump about 5 to 10 litres through the funnel into a Jerry can.
I then empty what’s left in the bottom of the funnel into a clear bottle and examine it.
Been using it for about 12 months and after sampling fuel at bowsers in a lot of shoddy looking roadhouses and country towns around WA - I found the most polluted to be my Shell service station in Perth.
AnswerID: 502787

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 16:40

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 16:40
my Shell should read "my local Shell"
FollowupID: 779322

Reply By: Member - VickiW - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 20:47

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 20:47
According to the dealer, dirt (from fuel) in the fuel filter requiring the filter be replaced.
They said normally the fuel filter in the 76 isn't replaced as it has a reservoir beforehand (the filter before the filter?) that is emptied at servicing.
The said it may be fine from now on, or if there is a lot more dirt in the tank the problem could re-occur in which case they need to take the tank out.... yuk

Anyway, I now have the choice, to try & run it low until holidays to see if the problem re-occurs or do the opposite. Since holidays are in 2 weeks think I will take option 2 until I get back. Think I need to work out how to check this pre-filter-filter reservoir in the meantime though.

Now, focus on holiday - south coast beach trip yay! Maybe this time I will work out how to use the Blog.
Cheers,
Vicki
AnswerID: 502896

Sponsored Links