Golden Valley

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 23:59
ThreadID: 100025 Views:4613 Replies:5 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys. Can anybody give me the coordinates for Golden Valley in the Yalgarn shire please. Been a while since we've been there and the memory is a bit rusty. Cheers Errol
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 00:23

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 00:23
Hello

Do you mean the one near Kalgoorlie just north of Kanowna or the one out near Bullfinch...or somewhere else? According to my references these are the two areas referred to as Golden Valley ...so to cover both bases....

Golden Valley near Kanowna is at 30° 34' 08" S and 121° 35' 59" E

Golden Valley just north of Bullfinch is at (approx) 30° 53' 09.492" S and 119° 01' 36.264" E

I'd check the location in Google Earth before heading out - you may drive into a big hole :)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 502754

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 00:34

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 00:34
...Actually I got it slightly wrong - Kanowna isn't in the Yilgarn Shire....so you must be chasing the Bullfinch site (which is in the Yilgarn Shire).

The name Golden Valley is not shown on the maps I have but it is near Mt Huggins so I have provided (above) co-ords that are near here. Should get you close enough to figure out where you are.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779261

Reply By: Member - John L (WA) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 09:57

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 09:57
Southern Cross tourist centre has some interesting 'mud maps' of the old gold areas that you might find interesting.
Cheers Heather
AnswerID: 502772

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 13:06

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 13:06
Errol,
When you have the information together can you please add a new place to the places system for this location. I tried a lookup in places and the only Golden Valley we have is in Tas.
David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 502779

Follow Up By: Rod W - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 13:41

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 13:41
Isn't this amazing, Golden Valley just north of Bullfinch is where gold was first discovered in WA and the only listing of it is in Tasmania... amazing!
FollowupID: 779304

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 13:51

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 13:51
Yep poor show so hopefully someone with a little more insight on this place can add it to the system for the rest of us to share.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779305

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 23:29

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 23:29
Hi

Three "Golden Valley" areas listed for WA in the Natmap gazetteer that is available online (Geoscience Aus website - well it use to be..haven't looked for a while) ..though I have an old version converted for use with OziExplorer..so thats where I got it from. Anyway, two of the Golden Valleys listed are those I mentioned above (including Bullfinch obviously so don't get too upset ;) and another is up in the Kimberley.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779366

Follow Up By: Member - Errol (York WA) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 12:21

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 12:21
I'v placed it in Places sysyem for you as requested. Just hope i've got it right. Never put anything there befor. Cheers Errol
FollowupID: 779525

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, Jan 26, 2013 at 02:20

Saturday, Jan 26, 2013 at 02:20
Hi Rod,

Payable gold was found at a place now called Old Halls Creek in 1885.
What year was gold found at Golden Valley?

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 780046

Reply By: Member - Errol (York WA) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 22:16

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 22:16
Thanks guys. Found it. Bit further out than I remembered. Cheers Errol
AnswerID: 502814

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 22:25

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 22:25
So....where is it ?..just north of Bullfinch or were we talking different places?

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779354

Follow Up By: Member - Errol (York WA) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 22:47

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 22:47
Sorry. North of Bullfinch. 30,53'11.21S 119,01'33.58E. Theres 2 water tanks up on the ridge and the mine shaft is to the right. My wifes grandfather had a dry blowing setup there and one of her uncles told me he can rembemer sleeping in the drive shaft that goes stright into the side of the ridge towards the tanks.
Cheers Errol
FollowupID: 779359

Follow Up By: Member - Errol (York WA) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 22:50

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 22:50
PS. No, it's not shown on the maps, but it should be. Part of WA history.Errol
FollowupID: 779361

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 23:21

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 23:21
Hi

Sorry should have looked harder - its shown on the 250K geology maps, and also on historic (1917) gold mine map of area...see below ..fascinating

When I said it wasn't shown I was referring to the 250K/100K topo (no 100k geology for this area at moment).

It is also listed in the NatMap 250K gazetteer ..which I have as an OziExplorer name search database - that's where I got the coordinates I provided above - they are ~80m different to yours so pretty close to the same.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779365

Follow Up By: Member - Denis B (WA) - Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 16:59

Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 16:59
Hi Errol
I'm a bit slow on this thread...and I'm not sure when you said you'd found it whether you meant you'd found it on the map...or on the ground!!
But in case you're interested...I was out that way in late November and even without any co-ordinates it is easy to locate. Take the Mount Jackson Road north out of Bullfinch and turn left after 12 km or so...it's a very good track. 2 or 3 km further on you will see some stockyards on the left and a sign pointing right to Golden Valley Plaque. It's less than a km into the plaque and the old mine workings, which are really interesting. As others have said, these were WA's first gold workings and certainly haven't had the exposure they deserve.
But the jewel in the crown is the old battery ruins a couple of km further north on the western side of the track. The remains of the hut nearby are facinating...weatherboard clad inside and out with handmade random shaped concrete slabs using local stone as aggregate. Someone had a lot of time on their hands back then!!
Anyway...if you haven't got there recently...enjoy!
FollowupID: 780014

Follow Up By: Member - Errol (York WA) - Saturday, Jan 26, 2013 at 01:21

Saturday, Jan 26, 2013 at 01:21
Hay, what are you doing with our camp trailer!
Found it on the map. We're been there before but some years ago. My wife's had a dry blowing set-up there way back when. The white dirt just up from the mine entrance is the remains of it. Talking to her uncle, he can remember sleeping in the shaft that go's into the side of the hill, on a stretcher. He's in his 80s now, and that was when he was a boy. So the dry blow set-up would have to have been in the 30s or 40s. Anyway, thanks for the reply. We may go back around easter. That why I was trying to remember where it was. Cheers Errol
FollowupID: 780045

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, Jan 26, 2013 at 02:46

Saturday, Jan 26, 2013 at 02:46
The Colreavy townsite (named in 1889) was originally going to be called Golden Valley, but was not to avoid confusion with other towns called by the same name.

Named after B.N. Colreavy, one of the first to discover gold in the area in 1887.

The original townsite, also from 1889, 500 metres to the north east was called Knutsford.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 780047

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Jan 26, 2013 at 15:26

Saturday, Jan 26, 2013 at 15:26
...And.some additional history

"With the discovery of a gold nugget at Moujakine the government voted 300 pounds to equip a prospecting party on assignment for a period of 3 months to test the district east of Newcastle (since renamed Toodyay) to Lake Deborah.

With the assistance of the Northam and Newcastle Settlers’ Association, the party under the leadership of Mr. Bernard Norbert Colreavy set forth in August of 1887 and made their way to Ennuin at the Yilgarn Hills north of the lake. There they began prospecting both reefs and for alluvial. Although many quartz reefs were found there was no indication of any colour nor alluvial.

As the weeks passed the party gradually began to search the district back towards Northam. Promising indications were found and samples taken and in mid-October they met another party under the leadership of Mr. Anstey who were on their way out to the Yilgarn Hills.

About 10 days later they saw Mr. Anstey, alone, making his way quickly back to Perth. On about November 12 when they again met Mr. Anstey making his way back out to the Yilgarn Hills, the story of how his party had found a gold bearing reef on a ridge 2 miles from Ennuin was revealed.

Mr. Colreavy inspected the reef and found he had prospected the gully below. Although impressed with Mr. Anstey’s find, he was not convinced this was a goldfield but felt the country he had visited was worthy of further investigation and planned to return under his own devises.

On his second trip Mr. Colreavy accompanied by his partner Mr. Huggins and a native trapper, decided to prospect the hills south of Lake Deborah. Mr. Colreavy and his tracker went out prospecting one morning and made their way towards a prominent hill standing out in the range. The nearer he got to it the more confident he had come upon gold-bearing country.

He ascended the hill and struck with the similar appearance to that of a goldfield he had worked in NSW he remarked to himself "Surely this is a goldfield. If I don't find gold here, where am I to look for it."

Examining the countryside from atop the hill he noticed a slope below him strewn with quartz. Proceeding to this spot he found a well formed reef and breaking off a piece of stone revealed visible gold. In every piece of stone that he broke of after that, gold was visible. It was about 2pm on December 30, 1887 and gold had been discovered on what was to be known as Golden Valley."

Golden Valley was not named because gold was found there but rather for the Golden Scrub Wattle which covers the slopes of the valley.

A townsite near here was declared as "Knutsford" in 1889, but Knutsford was cancelled in 1912 due to a bad design. The townsite of Colreavy, about 500 metres SE, was gazetted in 1912.

Colreavy was originally going to be called Golden Valley after the name of the general area, but this was rejected due to duplication in the Eastern States.

Cheers
Greg

Reference: Colreavy - Geocache.com

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 780103

Reply By: Rod W - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 21:50

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 21:50
Hi Errol,
Is Peter (i think was his name) the kiwi bloke from your neck of the woods still around. Haven't seen anything from him for a fair while.

Cheers
Rod
AnswerID: 502907

Follow Up By: Member - Errol (York WA) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 12:18

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 12:18
Yes. Had a drink with him last Tuesday night. I'll let him know you asked after him when I see him again. Errol
FollowupID: 779524

Sponsored Links