SVMaps on Hema 6

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 18:41
ThreadID: 100037 Views:3269 Replies:2 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone usedSV Maps on a Hema 6?

I'd be interested in some reviews before I shell out. I've downloaded the free sample but I haven't put it on the Hema yet. I thought I might ask the question first.

Cheers

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 19:34

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 19:34
Hi Gone Bush

I personally do not have any SV Maps, but have the equivalent maps produced by the Department for Environment and Heritage (Our National Parks people) for sections of South Australia at the scale of 1:50,000, compared to the 1:250,000 usual NatMap scale on the Topo maps on the HN6.

Next week Fiona and I are heading down the Peninsula and I already have the Mid North and Yorke Peninsula paper Map book and DVD Map that can be used with OziExplorer. I have used them many times with Ozi in the car on my trip Netbook, but wondered if they would work on my HN6.

I gave the boys in the Hema Tech department a call last week and asked the question if they would work on the Navigator. They said that if the map was formatted for use on Ozi, then it will work on the HN6, providing that I put the complete maps file inside of the map folder on the Hema. The standard size now on the HN6 is 8gb, so you have a fair amount of room to add extra data if needed.

I have done this before with the old zoned Topo maps from my old HN5 (I prefer the Natmap, even if zoned, compared to Hema's own 1:250,000 Topo, is does not have as much data)

It is as simple as Copy or drag the complete map folder that contains all the data, load that onto the Hema Map file on the micro SD Card, insert, the card back into the Navigator, start it up, go to OziExploror as normal, and then use the arrows on the left of the screen to select the next map up, and you then have the map that you have just imported on the Hema.

I have tried it out and it personally works fine for me.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 502800

Reply By: WBS - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 19:35

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 19:35
Not on a Hema GPS but I do use it on a generic 7inch GPS running OziExplorer. Its ok. The only thing I don't like about it is that you cannot merge the larger scale maps together using Map Merge in Oziexplorer as the images are protected, unlike the NATMAP 250k product.
WBS
AnswerID: 502801

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 20:27

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 20:27
Hi WBS

I do not know if you have tried the HN6 (if you are using a generic 7" using Ozi, then I think not), but from the data on the web site,

you will see that it is OziExploror compatible and in which case if you are using it on your devise, then YES it will work on the Hema.

I have not tried it, but like I said above, from all the data direct from their web site, there is no reason why it will not work.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779333

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 22:12

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 22:12
Hi Stephen
Butting in ...
You misunderstood WBS's post. The maps in question (SV - Vic) work fine in OziExplorer/CE/Android (on any device) but it is not possible to MERGE them to create a MOSAIC using Ozi Mapmerge (or any other program) as they are "protected" some way or another. There was a discussion in another thread regarding this a month or two ago.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779351

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 22:28

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 22:28
Hi Greg and WBS,

Sorry and I must eat humble pie.

I was not aware of that issue.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779355

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 22:51

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 22:51
Wouldn't worry about it......not sure why you need to merge maps covering Victoria anyway...its only about 10 maps wide and 3 maps high :)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779362

Follow Up By: WBS - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 08:55

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 08:55
Fair go Greg, That's a bit harsh :)
The reason is that where I live is just on the edge of one of the large scale map edges ( I have set Ozi to look for the largest scale map available) so I get a third of the screen in white. That annoys me.

I am an inveterate map merger. I've merged all the 250K maps in the NATMAP series into 1:1,000,000 blocks (16 250K's in each block). This means the GPS does not bog down handling too much data when moving map is employed. Won't hijack the thread any more than this.

WBS
FollowupID: 779382

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 09:10

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 09:10
WBS - Sorry - that was suppose to be a joke, hence use of :) (basis of my "joke" was that I am in WA which is a bit bigger than Vic)

Several advantages of using mosaics and like you, I prefer them for large areas (such as Victoria) as it saves having hundreds of separate maps loaded on unit.

Again apologies for my attempt at humour, doesn't always work on this medium (or any other medium actually :)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779383

Follow Up By: WBS - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 09:56

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 09:56
Greg,
It was taken as humour as you intended so definitely no apologies necessary.

Being an expat West Australian (I grew up there), I can see your point. I have a foot in each camp these days, depending on how the argument is going.

WBS
FollowupID: 779386

Sponsored Links