Starting Problems- Jackaroo 1998 Diesel Turbo

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 19:48
ThreadID: 10007 Views:2575 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

I've owned a Jackaroo L8 July 1998 Turbo Diesel (currently done 80,000km) for 2 years. Over the last year I have noticed engine running rougher and hard to start some mornings. I have it serviced regularly (using correct oils etc) and she does not do too much hard work.

A friend of mine who knows a bit about Jackaroos says it is a common problem with Jacks around this era and says the two culprits are:- (a) Leaking injector seals and, (b) Engine oil somehow penetrating a sensor in the engine block causing oil exit engine and to travel down the wiring loom and and cause a loss of contact at the multi-pin joining plug. This apparently causes the engine management computer to hiccup! I now wash the joining plug each day or so and no more problems. Not the best long term solution I know. I am about to take it to the dealer.

Does anyone have any experience of this ?

Thanks
JohnD
Email flagdarwin@bigpond.com
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: howesy - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 21:39

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 21:39
Does the engine stop running rough after it has run for a couple a mins. if so then it is a classic symptom of poor glow plug performance. Failing this take it to a dealer and they can test your sensors.
AnswerID: 44304

Follow Up By: Rick Blaine - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 22:28

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 22:28
one word of caution... if you take it to a dealer make sure you give them all your symptoms and insist that they tell you how much they are going to charge for the diagnosis. It litterally takes longer to drive the vehicle into the workshop than it takes to plug their computer in to the vehicle & get a readout. The repairs are going to cost....BIG TIME but once you get a diagnosis any good mechanic can usually fix the fault. One other thing that can cause the symptoms that you describe is the use of an overly oiled air filter... microscopic drops of oil coalesce on a sensor in the throttle body & send wrong signals to the computer..... if you get this diagnosis it IS NOT NECESSARY to replace the entire throttle body as your dealer will tell you but thoroughly degrease and clean with something like carbon tetrochloride or even lacquer thinners. Parts if you need them can be got at sensible prices from Jackeroo world mail order.
FollowupID: 306526

Follow Up By: JohnD - Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 23:19

Sunday, Jan 25, 2004 at 23:19
Thank you Howesy and Rick

I appreciate your advice. I am beginning to think more fondly of my old Toyota Landcruiser Ute circa 1978 that was hot, noisy and could go anywhere without a computer to be found!!

Thanks again
JohnD
FollowupID: 306533

Reply By: Jayson - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 09:34

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 09:34
John,
Have a look at the product recalls Australia site (www.recalls.gov.au/search.cfm), enter "motor vehicles" and "Jackaroo" and you will see two recalls, one for injector seals and the other for vacuum check pump.
These should solve some of your problems for no expense to you. My dad has the same model and a parallel (non isolating) battery system made a dramatic difference to starting.
Hope this helps.
Jayson
AnswerID: 44334

Reply By: JohnD - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 12:38

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 12:38
G'Day Jayson
Thank you too. Your reference to the recall website was invaluable. Dealerships may not be quite so forthcoming with this type pf information! At least now I am forearmed with extra information.

Many Thanks
JohnD..................
AnswerID: 44350

Follow Up By: Jayson - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 22:17

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 22:17
You're welcome JohnD,
I read this site frequently but rarely offer opinion or advice as I get a bit sick of the topic "wandering" or suffering from the "know-all, bugger-all" kind of reply. Glad I've helped.
If you'd like to discuss further please email me at jstanley@kisser.net.au
Regards
Jayson
Karratha, WA
FollowupID: 306717

Sponsored Links