Towing Mirrors

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 15:01
ThreadID: 100077 Views:13771 Replies:12 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I understand there has been a lot of comments regarding towing mirrors but I am looking to see if someone has found a good mirror for the new RG Colorado or similar. I currently use the Aussie Door mounted truck style mirrors which worked ok on the old model colorado, except for the common issue with the window scratching with dust and dirt. Aside from that issue the strap rubs on the door moulding on the new colorado, this means I need to find an alternative asap. Clearview wont be available until next year.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Shane
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 15:41

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 15:41
Hullo Shane,

This seems to have received favourable reviews:

Camec Mirror

I'm sure Mandurah Caravan Repairs would have it. They are a Camec outlet. Certainly an option until Clearview come good.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 502967

Follow Up By: andson - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 15:45

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 15:45
Thanks GB I was going to call you and ask your opinion. I like the look of these Mirrors but I was concerned that they may not be good, unusal for something that is $29 to be good. I wanted to goto CAMEC in perth but they seem to be only open when we are. Ill call past Mandurah Caravan Repairs during the week. Thanks GB.

Shane
FollowupID: 779548

Reply By: Member - Ian W1 (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 18:03

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 18:03
Hi Andson, I recently brought one of those mirrors from Camec for a trip to Melbourne from Brisbane on mainly sealed roads. Within a very short distance of fitting it, I stopped and took it off! It's consigned to the 'useless bits & pieces' box. I found I couldn't adjust the Patrol's mirrors enough to give a good clear view usung the 'add-on' mirror. I know others have been happy with them, but I'm not; for under $30.00 it was worth a try! The old story of you get what you pay for I guess. Cheers
AnswerID: 502971

Reply By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 20:11

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 20:11
Hi Shane,

I got those Camec mirrors and have found they work quiet well on reasonable tar or dirt roads.I haven't any probs as yet.

Have you looked at Clearview mirrors. Not sure what year model an RG Colorado But they do up to 2011 models. They look good but you pay thru the nose for them.

You get what you pay for.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 502979

Follow Up By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 20:13

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 20:13
Doh just google it 2012. The clearview ones arent out yet.

Cheers Wilko
FollowupID: 779563

Follow Up By: andson - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 20:14

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 20:14
Wilko, the RG Colorado is there new 2012 model, I would love to be able to buy the clearview but they are not out until next year.

Shane
FollowupID: 779564

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Di T (SA) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 20:28

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 20:28
andson,

We have used seatbelt covers, the wool variety on our straps for the truck mirrors. Originally it was because they created major noise on the Troopy doors. We also used the on our Prado 150. Now we have Clearview Mirrors, just brilliant.

By vthe way how do you find the new Colorado?

Bruce and Di
AnswerID: 502980

Follow Up By: andson - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 20:32

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 20:32
Bruce and Di,

Firstly I must confess I am a Holden dealer so any comment should be taken with a smidge of bias. But it is great we have had 3 Colorado/Rodeos and it is amazing the difference with this car in almost every way.

Shane
FollowupID: 779567

Follow Up By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 21:19

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 21:19
Bruce and Di,

You must be mistaken, My old 1999 Rodeo was the peak of evolution. It was voted the best 4wd of all time last year and for good reason Its simply the best.

Cheers Wilko
FollowupID: 779575

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Di T (SA) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 20:54

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 20:54
Shane,

That's great to know, even with the bias :) as we have been considering one but have been waiting to see how they perform.

Cheers,
Bruce and Di
AnswerID: 502982

Reply By: bmwrider - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 21:06

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 21:06
Hello Shane, I have been using the Aussie Truck Mirrors for some time now after using clip on mirrors. The worst thing about the mirrors that clip onto the cars mirrors is that when a big truck passes the rush of air forces the mirror to fold. The more it happens the easier it happens. I also had the problem of marking the windows from dirt build up. I have a Prado and I put the hooked edge of the mirror mount in the gap in between the inner scraper and outer scraper of the window rubber. I use a sticky back felt to cover to edge of the mirror mount that would normally rub against the window. I use clear contact on the painted surfaces of the car door to stop the adjusting belt from rubbing the paint. Aussie Truck Mirrors have an extended, wider bottom hook that doesn't put pressure on the plastic shrouds on the doors. This all works for me.

Regards

Garry
AnswerID: 502983

Follow Up By: Rockape - Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 08:25

Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 08:25
Mate,
using magnetic sign material cut into strips is another method of protecting your paint. Have used this for years with no damage at all. Just make sure the strip and door are clean before use.

Happy towing,
RA.
FollowupID: 779601

Reply By: V8 Troopie - Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 01:22

Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 01:22
I sometimes tow a large trailerable sailboat which is just at the legal no permit width. I do have these clip on door towing mirrors which do extend the view to the rear but nowhere near as well as the rear view camera I just have installed at the rear of my trailer.
The view from that is _heaps_ better than from any car mounted mirror.
No longer possible for a car to hide behind the trailer by tailgating it.

The little on dash monitor has two camera inputs, I can select input from the trailer or car mounted rear view camera. The trailer camera has a removable video lead that plugs into a permanent installed inline socket just inside the tailgate, the lead being thin enough to easily pass between the tailgate rubber seal.
The trailer camera is powered from the boat battery so only one lead goes to it from the car.
AnswerID: 502993

Reply By: Life Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 08:02

Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 08:02
This website has some good info and photo's on mirrors. in fact the whole website is full of great info.

MIRRORS

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 502996

Reply By: Member. Rob M (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 09:29

Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 09:29
Hi Shane,

I use the Milenco grand aero mirror available from Aussie Traveller.
They are the type that attach to your existing mirror.
They have a very large mirror surface and as yet have not had them fold back when trucks pass. I only tow a holiday van so can't see the clearview mirrors being fitted any time soon.
Might be worth a look.
www.aussietraveller.com.au
Rob M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 502999

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 10:02

Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 10:02
Hi Andson
I recently purchased Brunsgaard Towing mirrors. Had a minor issue but that was due to the Cruiser rather than the mirrors. Haven't seen the Colorado mirrors but you easily check for yourself as to whether they fit.

Previously I a set of the strap mirrors as you mentioned. They were good but again, same issues, scratching (not that that bothered me, nice to have a set of vertical scratches to accompany my numerous horizontal scratches LOL). Also occasionally when the window was opened then closed, it'd raise the clamp out of the recess. They weren't hard to fit but I'd say could be tedious.

These new mirrors are great. They go straight on with one grub screw to clamp. This means putting them on and removing is painless and quick. Pretty much they retain the viewing position so that cuts out need to readjust with every fitting.

I found them pretty solid once in position and hardly any movement or vibration on them which means they provide good visability on the move.
AnswerID: 503000

Reply By: garytee - Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 10:36

Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 10:36
I agree with Ian W1. I could not get enough adjustment to be able to see anything on my NT Pajero using the Camec Suction Mirror. I have a brand new set that you can have for nothing.

I am going to install Clearviews later this year but meanwhile - after literally owning every mirror-type ever made - I recently bought a set of XLR 2.5 Convex Head mirrors by 'Prime Products'. Bought them at Award RV centre in Melbourne. They clip over your existing mirror with rubber straps using a patented ratchet-system. I found them to be brilliant. Quite stable, minimal shake and you simply put on each day and they remain setup so no fiddling every time you head off.

They still blow in with road-trains but every mirror except Clearviews do that.

They are the best mirrors I have used.
AnswerID: 503005

Reply By: K&FT - Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 20:05

Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 20:05
G'day andson,

I have used aussie truck mirrors for some time now and have used them on 3 different vehicles.
You may not be aware that you can adjust the position of the "pad" that rests against the door and then adjust the length of the arm to suit the new postion of the pad.

hope this helps

frank
AnswerID: 503032

Sponsored Links