Engel MT45 ( metal ) V's Engel MR40 ( plastic)

I am trying to work out the difference between the two engel fridge / freezers as
There is roughly $500 difference between the two and I can only see a few obvious differences.

MT45

Has a slightly lower peak amp draw at 2.5 amps max
Has a digital temperature read out
Has automatic power input switching
Interior led light
2L of extra space
Being made of metal

MR40

Slightly higher peak amp draw at 2.75amps max
Slightly lighter
2L smaller
Made of plastic

Is there anything else that differs the two fridges?
I'm looking for a new camping fridge and trying to work out if the extra $500 is worth it for the metal MT45.

Any input would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Mitch
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 00:29

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 00:29
G'day Mitch
To me the peak amp draw the Engel company talks about is not really true.
There is no lesser amp draw to my knowledge.
My Engel when ever it is running always draws the sames amount of current.
Because they use an inverter 12v+ a bit, to around 20volts ac at the compressor input leads. The only thing which might alter this current usage is the temp of the unit.
Mine runs full on until it gets to temp and switches off, then full again, then off, etc.

If they both use the same oscillating compressor and power supply/inverter then they will use the same current flow.

I don't know of anything in their operation which can alter the current usage.
Only the time it is on ie run time per hour determines the total amp hours used per day.

When calculating solar and battery requirements I use the normal amp flow x 24 hours as if it is switched on full time. When and if, it cycles, on and off, I regard that as my insurance factor. In hot weather I am then prepared for full time running and that's the best I can do.

That leaves, apart from the capacity, the case material, which if plastic, may insulate better if the wall thicknesses are the same.

Hope this helps you decide what you want to do.
Cheers
Ross M

AnswerID: 503049

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 07:30

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 07:30
Hi Ross

The reason why there is the slight extra power usage is because the MR40 uses 2 of the small turbo fans for cooling of the compressor, where as the MT45 only has1.

You are correct that it still uses all the same running gear, but the plastic casing was introduced as a cost cutting cheaper model for those that still wanted a reliable fridge,but at a cheaper price.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 779658

Follow Up By: Ross M - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 11:01

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 11:01
G'day Stephen

I didn't know about the extra fan in the 40. I haven't pulled one apart for a while.
Years ago I fitted a switchable fan to the ac compressor wires on some and then found Engel started doing it too about 6 months later.
Perhaps I should have patented it but then again probably no $ in it anyway.
I use them in vehicle and find if a computer fan is used to suck air from window vent and deliver it through a flex pipe to the fridge it uses less overall current each day. It gets rid of the recirculating stagnant air lot of fridges seem to run in.

Cheers
Ross M
FollowupID: 779674

Reply By: Ozrover - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 10:01

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 10:01
Mitch,

I've got one of each, I use one in the car & one in the camper, the MR40 (plastic) one I use in the camper as a fridge only, & the main difference is that it is side opening & has no temp guage.

The MT45 (metal) one I use in the car as a freezer when towing the camper & as a fridge when not.

They are both good, but I do prefer the MT45 as I have had it quite a bit longer & the only problem that I have had is a loose fitting which required a re-gas.

AnswerID: 503058

Reply By: Mitch E - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 20:25

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 20:25
Thanks for that I guess you can't really go wrong with either models then . Especially when you have someone that owns both and use both at the same time and no complaints. Just you get more quality and a few extra features for another $500.

Think the idea of 2 x 40L is great over having a combi fridge/ freeze, would be heaps more versatile.
AnswerID: 503155

Sponsored Links