Importing vehicle accessories

Submitted: Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 19:44
ThreadID: 100110 Views:2286 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings.
I like to buy "local"; meaning for the 6 months we live in NZ I like to support my local retailers. Same goes for the 6 months every year we spend in outback Australia.
We already do this by purchasing fuel, gas, groceries, sundry items etc and on average we put AU $1000 a week back into the Australian economy, not forgetting the initial outlay for the rig.
Here comes my question. I like to upgrade items on my cruiser, but not at any cost.
Telescopic Clearview mirrors for instance are retailing at some $750 per pair. Take into account the exchange rate between Australia and NZ and the pair cost me close to $950.
Out of the question according to the chief cook and bottlewasher.
I see a similar item advertised for sale in the USA for 1/4 of the price. This is only one example of the several items I am wanting to upgrade.
Are there forum members who import their own accessories and are these subject to Australian import duty? I was hoping to have any items shipped to Oz.

Many thanks in advance. And no, I am not some stingy Kiwi. My well earned dollars are Kiwi dollars and my grandies are Australian :-)

Cheers, Case
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 20:09

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 20:09
If they total less than $1,000 there is no import duty or GST.
AnswerID: 503095

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 20:47

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 20:47
And over $1000 if made in the USA there are no duties, only GST.
FollowupID: 779706

Reply By: Witi Repartee - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 21:16

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 21:16
Go for it.
Not a lot of genuine competition in Australia. Duopolies, unofficial cartels in the $WD aftermarket, all rampantly overcharging for your discretionary recreational dollar. Some of the products are excellent,but the price bears no relevance to the costs of production.

I research local prices and possible service requirements and then decide whether or not to privately import. Also if the cost exceeds $1000 remember you can import things like tyres in pairs rather than sets of four etc to stay under the limit.

Also with parts I can often get bits and pieces from the USA/Hong Kong as quick and cheaper as from our own Eastern States.
AnswerID: 503100

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 14:32

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 14:32
Yeap I agree.... the sooner we start paying our employees at the $6.00 per hour base wage as they do in the USA instead of the $20.00+ per hour here in Australia the better off we will be and prices will come down....... we should also get rid of the employer contributed super, work cover, leave loading, over time rates, sick days and a cut the 4 weeks annual leave back to 2 weeks as per the USA.

I take it you would be happy with lower wages and poorer working conditions?
FollowupID: 779775

Reply By: GEMAC Solar and Power - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 08:42

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 08:42
Hi CAse
I too am looking at a set of Clearview and noted the price of $750

If I was able to obtain a set for 25% of that cost I would be in like flyn.

Where did you see them and for what vehicles were they manufactured for??

Geoff (Xpat K1W1)
AnswerID: 503127

Reply By: glids - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 09:33

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 09:33
I've bought a few items from the US, generally much cheaper than here in Oz. Be aware that some US outlets will not ship outside of the States.

To get around that, open up an account/membership with a forwarding company. I use Goopping, and their rates are good. It was free and easy to join, they charge a handling fee (usually $9.90) plus the freight from US to Oz. They can also purchase items on your behalf from within USA and send them on to you - a small extra charge for that service.
You get a 'Goopping Address' which is specific to you, and if you purchase items yourself, give that address to the supplier. They post to Goopping, who will advise when the item has arrived. If you want to combine a number of items from various sources into one shipment to Oz, Goopping will hold the items and you then tell them when you want to ship them all. It is an easy and straight-forward process. If you have any questions, they are good to communicate with.

cheers,
glids
AnswerID: 503128

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 11:30

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 11:30
I like to support local and Aussie, but I am fed up with being ripped off. Music, DVDs, Kindle electronic books and other Amazon products, etc, etc. The Delorme inReach GPS tracker packages are way cheaper in US than they are here. Why? They know you're in Aus from the IP address when you order on line so they either deny service or the price gets jacked up.

I wanted a Fantastic Vent for my van. Over $700 plus freight from a Brissy retailer. I got it direct to my door in less than a week for $320 total by ordering direct from the factory and delivered via a freight forwarder.

So go for it, I say. Use an internet anonymiser service so they can't tell where your computer is and/or use that freight forwarding outfit that glibs uses.

The only problem, I suppose, is if you ever have a warranty claim.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503135

Reply By: caseh - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 12:16

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 12:16
Thanks for all the replies. Will certainly follow it up now.

It first came to my attention when I was bidding on a used vehicle accessory item on EBay Australia. I missed out on the item only to find that I could get the same item- make and model - from EBay USA for less than half the new price in Oz and less than my bidding price incl if freight.
My only worry was import duties and GSt but these questions have now been answered here thanks to the excellent feedback on this forum.

Geoff: Have a play on EBay USA and have a look for telescopic mirrors in vehicle parts and accessories. Otherwise let Google be your friend. Good Luck,

Cheers and thanks to all. Case
AnswerID: 503137

Follow Up By: brianc - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 13:26

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 13:26
Be careful buying mirrors from the US, they are set up for LH drive vehicles. They drive on the wrong side of the road, so everything you see in the mirrors will be back to front!!
FollowupID: 779763

Sponsored Links