where to go for a week: high country?

so it looks like I will have a few weeks off between jobs. From Adelaide, I was thinking the Vic high country.
I will be travelling alone. Is it possible to do most of the tracks around there without the need to have others for recoveries etc? I'll obviously avoid the tracks where winches and/or snatching is required.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 11:58

Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 11:58
G'day Gossy,

I reckon, with care, you'd be right.

A lot of the tracks are steep up and down, but nothing too radical. Rain can change the game.

Down the bottom of a valley communications can be nil. Even up the top you can hear people that you will never see. Good maps and GPS are real handy to figure out where you are.

It's a fantastic part of the country, so enjoy iy if you have a chance too.

Steve
AnswerID: 503349

Follow Up By: Nigel Migraine - Saturday, Jan 26, 2013 at 08:05

Saturday, Jan 26, 2013 at 08:05
"A lot of the tracks are steep up and down, but nothing too radical"

*but nothing too radical*!?

You are obviously writing about a different High Country to the one I have been camping in and driving through for many years.

In my opinion the Victorian High Country poses some of the most difficult four-wheel driving in Australia.

Even when dry many tracks are very difficult and demanding and should not be attempted by inexperienced drivers or soft-roaders, in the wet those same tracks are impassable.

And when you mention "steep" - we're talking only being able to see sky through the windscreen when ascending and being pushed out of your seat when descending - I'd call that damn steep!

To the OP: there are more gentle areas than I mention but do your research first. Also, please note we are in a serious fire season here currently - stay up with the news and camp in a sensible manner.
FollowupID: 780052

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Saturday, Jan 26, 2013 at 08:20

Saturday, Jan 26, 2013 at 08:20
Yeh, you're right. I was wrong to say nothing too radical.
A big week has dulled my brain.

There are a lot of tracks that can be travelled by a person on their own. Depending on the vehicle that doing the trip, looking at the sky and kissing the windscreen is just part of the fun.

There are so many tracks through there, some sort of guide is handy.
In the past I 've used a couple of the books by Craig Lewis and Cathy Savage - The High Country 4WD and Camping Guide and Explore Australia by 4WD.
These books give trek notes and full details on the tracks, what to see and where to camp.
They are great value in my opinion.

Steve
FollowupID: 780054

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 18:15

Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 18:15
The Vic High Country covers a large area and there are not to many tracks you will have any problems with. Rain and fires are the only problems that could occur in the next week or so.

Start in the east and work your way over to the NSW border, that will give you plenty of escape routes if needed.
AnswerID: 503386

Reply By: Member - reggy 2 (VIC) - Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 20:56

Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 20:56
Hi Gossy
You did not say when you will be traveling at the present the high country might be a bit unsafe as there are a lot of fires
The DSE will most likely have roads closed
Cheers
AnswerID: 503399

Reply By: Ross M - Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 22:38

Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 22:38
Gossy
As mentioned, there is a lot of territory called the High Country. Most of it has been either restricted or closed by DSE and the only people currently "enjoying" the tracks are firemen in trucks.
If you are in there and a fire starts somewhere you have to know your way around pretty well.
Also, if found in there and there is a fire, you may have a lot of explaining to do re, who lit the fire? Not a position most would want to put themselves in, in the current climate.
AnswerID: 503408

Reply By: Gossy - Saturday, Jan 26, 2013 at 06:45

Saturday, Jan 26, 2013 at 06:45
thanks all for the replys. I won't be looking at going there for at least 2-3 weeks. My poor Patrol is in getting a gearbox overhaul at the moment so hopefully all the fires are all gone.
AnswerID: 503414

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Sunday, Jan 27, 2013 at 11:54

Sunday, Jan 27, 2013 at 11:54
The fires have damped down a lot but don't forget that *Feb* is our worst season for them.

For the most recent satellite data on hotspots see Sentinel

Another good site is the beta version of Landgate Firewatch

Google ParksVic for info on road/tk closures.

Apart from that, have fun up there!
FollowupID: 780155

Reply By: Gossy - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 07:36

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 07:36
thanks for the updates. I'm now thinking (if I get my car back in time) of heading up to QLD for a bit of time and help with the clean up.

Cheers,
AnswerID: 503537

Reply By: patrolmann - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 10:21

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 10:21
Hi Gossy,
I am planning a trip into the high country as well leaving Adelaide on the 16th Feb for a week.
Unfortunately I missed the trip I had planned in Dec\Jan and decided to go now.
If your going to be there around the same time message me if you want.
cheers
Patrolman
AnswerID: 503617

Follow Up By: Gossy - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 10:42

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 10:42
sounds good. I can't commit untill I know what's going on with my car and my work (inbetween jobs). keep you posted via here.

Thanks!
FollowupID: 780343

Follow Up By: patrolmann - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 12:25

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 12:25
Hi Gossy,
Will do
Cheers
Patrolman
FollowupID: 780353

Sponsored Links