poptops & tinnies

Submitted: Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 14:42
ThreadID: 10022 Views:2119 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, Firstly i`ve never owned a caravan so be patient. I`m thinking of buying a 14-16 ft poptop, but would like to take along a 12ft tinnie. Is this feasible on the van roof ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - ramp - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 16:30

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 16:30
hi nostradamus, mate of mine has a jayco eagle and does it ,we just lift it straight on top off a set of roof racks no problems,but we always take the tinnie off before we pop the top. tinnie only weighs 80 kgs,so if your question is can you lift the roof with the tinnie on i dont really know. cheers rob
AnswerID: 44371

Reply By: Wizzy - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 16:52

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 16:52
Hmmm, not sure whether it's a good idea to travel with a tinnie on a poptop roof. Firstly, one of the basic rules of caravanning is to keep heavy items as low as possible. But you'll be carting something like 80kg on the roof. Also having that kind of weight high up could affect the centre of gravity and consequently the van's stability.

Secondly, this weight is quite a chunk out of your weight allowance. Would be far better on the tow vehicle's roof.

Good luck,
Dennis
Westport 18ft full van
Falcon AU sedan
www.damor.net
AnswerID: 44378

Reply By: Joe - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 22:01

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 22:01
Hi,
Do'nt do this...
Many years ago(we were in our early twenties) my mate picked me up in his rather rough holden ute, with the tinnie in the back.The tinnie was upside down resting against the roof of the cabin,on an angle with the pointy end over the cabin, all was well until about 100kmh, the wind got under the nose and we watched it take off like an icy pole stick spinning in the air...a surreal sight to behold... no one got hurt but when it hit the bitumin...it was never the same...my mate eventually became quite a responsible person holding a senior position with Dept of Conservation.

Most young hoons become responsible members of society in due course.
Regards
Joe
AnswerID: 44410

Reply By: Member - Jeffrey - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 13:01

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 13:01
Hi Nostradamas,
I would talk to the the mannufacturer about if your pop top would become unstable and find out how much weight can be carried he's the man to listen to,My father and I learnt the hard way just like the other member did,we also was lucky in that no one was injured but the poor boat was never the same,if he green lights you make sure your tie down points are strong and reliable,we still carried our damaged boat the same way but we now added an extra tie down to the front of the car,also take time to learn how to tie reliable knots.
All the Best In Health And Wealth
Jeff
AnswerID: 44609

Sponsored Links