Tanami Track

We are heading up the Tanami in JUly 2013 and want to know whether you can take alcohol along there. Understand that its not permitted in Yuendumu but we may only be stopping there for fuel. If we take alcohol it will not be in view and wouldn't be drunk until we are camped somewhere remote. What have othere members done. Would rather buy in Alice than some outback pub where it would cost too much.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 15:40

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 15:40
Gday,
You will need to check to make sure nothing has changed ( good luck with that) but you can carry alcohol through a restricted area as long as you can prove you are going through to a un restricted area and you have no opened alcohol in the vehicle.

Cheers
AnswerID: 503511

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 16:17

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 16:17
Theresa, even provisioning in Alice isn't as straight forward as you might expect. Hours of opening are limited. Easier to stock up before you get there. Also, there are no outback pubs providing takeaway beer along the Tanami. The Tilmouth Roadhouse has a bar, so you could just drink enough there to last the rest of the trip!
Bob
AnswerID: 503513

Reply By: D&G - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 16:23

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 16:23
Agree, stock up before you get to Alice even if you have to bring from home.
Check the current restrictions in Alice.
It would be a good idea to also check the current restrictions in the Kimberley. Last year you could not by 2l or 4L wine casks at all, and the purchase of beer and spirit is restricted. This includes Broome. So if you are spending time on the Gibb then you may have to stock up for that leg as well.
AnswerID: 503514

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 17:16

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 17:16
As with travel in so many areas of Australia now, discretion is the name of the game. Keep any grog you are carrying well hidden and out of sight. Burn bash and carry any cans so as not to be recognisable as vessels that contained alcoholic beverages. Get rid of empties as soon as possible and appropriately.

As the other respondee's have indicated, The Alice is very restrictive as far as purchasing alcohol is concerned. There are limits on cask wine and other grog and a drivers licence must be produced at time of purchase.

As long as you are in transit and do not produce or have overt signs of alcohol about your vehicle (including empty containers such as bottles/cans), you should be right.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503518

Follow Up By: Mick O - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 17:19

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 17:19
P.S. You may wish to check the abailability of fuel at Yuendumu a little closer to your departure. It may be unavailable.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 780242

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 20:49

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 20:49
The N.T have relaxed there purchase rules for alcohol since the change in government ..
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 780262

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 02:04

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 02:04
Hi Theresa

While no department will give you a definitive answer, it is generally acceptable when transiting the normal tourist routes to carry unopened small quantities of alcoholic drinks for you own consumption when outside of the prescribed areas, but the onus will be on your to prove this is charged. They ask you to read the linked documents and assess the risk for yourself. If travellers are unsure if they will travel through an Alcohol Protected Area, they should consult the local police or land council responsible for the area about its status under the Stronger Futures in the Northern Territory Act 2012.

Google the following statement for all the facts, links, and maps showing prescribed areas.

“The law provides a defence for transporting liquor across a prescribed area, as long as you can prove that your final destination is outside the prescribed area.”

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 503534

Reply By: Gossy - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 17:51

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 17:51
There is alot of reverse discrimination going on up that part of Australia. We did what we wanted to do (being a free country and all). Sure do the right thing and don't flaunt it but if I have worked 12 months for my holiday and I wanted a beer then I was going to have one.

Small minority are the problem and generic blanket laws aren't the answer. And yes the beers tasted fantastic :)
AnswerID: 503570

Reply By: Theresa P - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 21:15

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 21:15
Thanks to all that have answered my query. We shall certainly be taking a drink or two with us but will be safely hidden away. Looking forward to the trip and may post a few more questions when I think of them. We plan to go up the Tanami then turn left to Leopold Downs Rd up to the Gibb River Rd, head to Wyndham and Kununurra. Hoping to do a flight over the Bungle Bungles and Lake Argyle. Back to Adelaide via Katherine. Any places not to miss please let me know.
AnswerID: 503589

Follow Up By: Gossy - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 07:46

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 07:46
we have just come back from there a couple of months ago. You'll really enjoy it. Make sure you chat to the rangers at the Bungle Bungles as there are better times to walk particular gorges to get the colours out of the rocks; makes the photos look even better!

the tanami is a well graded track. Easily a 80 - 95 km/h road. We did it in 2 days with a night stay at Wolfe Creek.

I would go back there tomorrow ;)
FollowupID: 780339

Sponsored Links