Can anyone tell me about this sign?

Submitted: Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 16:26
ThreadID: 100229 Views:8151 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived

Detail:

I saw this sign along the road between Muloorina Station Campground and Level Post Bay, Lake Eyre (North). It looks pretty old to me. It also seemed like a rather random place for a road sign. It was at a junction of a private road and the access track out to the Bay. Below is a more modern sign at the same junction:

Does anyone know any history behind this or similar signs? It reminds me of the signs that the Auto Club posted all around southern California. You can see lots of examples on this blog: Click here for old Calif. Auto Signs Decades ago, the club did the work of marking and mapping roads. At the time, the various levels of government hadn't yet taken on the responsibility! Does this sign have a similar heritage?

BTW, I took these photos on 7 June 2008.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 17:14

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 17:14
Yes Candace, Those signs were erected by the Royal Automobile Association of South Australia on a similar basis to the Californian Auto Club posted. They were once quite prolific but not many remain. The SA State Government now takes responsibility for all road signs.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503517

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 17:23

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 17:23
I could add that the RAA of SA began this road signposting in 1913 but handed over the task to the SA State Government in 1970 when the cost of converting all the existing signs from miles to kilometres became the final straw in the escalating costs of providing this service to the public.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 780243

Sponsored Links