Fuel @ Well 23 CSR

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 07:27
ThreadID: 100236 Views:3207 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I know this has been asked before but up to date information is very important.

Has any one using this service had any problems with the fuel quality and or quantity in the past year.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 10:02

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 10:02
Yes. We arrived at Well 23 last July (2012) to find that 4 drums of recently delivered fuel had been knocked off. Thankfully it wasn't ours but it caused difficulties for the others who had arrived there expecting their diesel.

My specific issue was that the first thing out of the drums were two or more litres of water and crap from the bottom of the drum. Thank god I had a Mr Funnel filter or I would have been in all sorts of bother. I'd suggest the drums were not checked prior to filling. My drum was heavily rusted internally when we did a visual inspection. If I'd had a cold chisel handy, I'd have popped a hole in the top to render it U/S.

All of these matters were reported to Kate at the Capricorn Roadhouse who was apologetic about the dirty fuel. I'm hoping they won't let the backpacker fill the drums next year without adequate inspection.

I believe the Roadhouse had a fair indication as to where the stolen fuel went.

The video was shot that day and includes well 23. Haven't gotten around to blogging it yet.

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503540

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 10:38

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 10:38
We had two drums of fuel, 1 desiel and 1 petrol waiting for us when we got there. No problems at all with ours or others that arrived while we were there.

The biggest problem I had was using up my drum. Had to scrounge around for empty 20lt drums. Good service and better placed to do the whole CSR with one re-fill, only needing 160lt in vehicle tanks coming down from the north.
AnswerID: 503541

Reply By: Member - hopbush - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 10:40

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 10:40
Haven't used the fuel dump but have heard similar stories to Micko's. Also there is the issue of a minimum purchase of 200 litres which doesn't suit everyone.
We topped up at Kunawirritji (well 33) in June 2012 and whilst the cost of diesel was exorbitant at $3.40/L, the overall addition to trip expenses (coming from Brisbane) was generally insignificant. I carried plenty of extra diesel and took on about 60 litres at Kunawirritji. We rang ahead and they stayed open for us on a Saturday afternoon. I would do the same next time.
Tony (Hopbush)
AnswerID: 503542

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 19:40

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 19:40
hi mick o
the correct way to take fuel from drums is to stand up drum if it has been lying down and then tilt it with bung on the top side and place a rock or block under it with the angle as great as possible without it falling over
then let it settle for 10 minutes at least you will now be drawing/sucking the fuel from the high side of the the tilted base this was a practise we adhered to over many years while farming and hundreds of drums prior to changing to bulk fuel suplies and tanks
when your pump or syphon stops you then drain the remaining fuel into an open container to take a birds eye view of it
ditch it if dirty or put it through a filter if usable
this savesd us from many fuel blocks over the years and is the only way imho to get fuel from any drum
can even be used when emptying jerry can etc
cheers barry
FollowupID: 780316

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:13

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:13
Please I should state that this is a great service provided by Capricorn Roadhouse and I am in no way complaining about the service. Fuel is carted an awful long way out to facilitate travellers needs and at $3.00 neat per litre this year, it was a damn sight cheaper than filling up at Parnngurr ($4.20 a litre).

The Roadhouse cannot be expected to provide security for fuel left at the Roadhouse and this is written in a clear disclaimer when you book and prepay for the delivery. It's unfortunate that there are unscrupulous people about who will take advantage of the situation to the detriment of others.

The Roadhouse staff are very accommodating and I'm sure that on speaking with their fuel drop co-ordinator, a better inspection of drums prior to filling was taking place.

As for amount, I paid for a 200 litre drum, the drum was full (the water was a bonus lol).

From a historical perspective, I was informed by the roadhouse staff that due to thefts on 08/09, they stopped delivering in 2010. The commenced again in 2011 and did not have a single issue through that season. Our arrival coincided with the first theft reported for 2012. The roadhouse accommodated the stranded travellers with a drum of fuel still there for Kenny Maidment (of Canning Well reconstruction fame)

My advice if using the service, make sure you arrive in the area as close to the day of the drop as possible (co-ordinate with the Roadhouse) and use a good filter funnel such as the "Mr Funnel". If you are handy (and I travel with a bloke who is), a Tanami pump can be fabricated for the 200 litre drums relatively easily. Let compressed air do all the work for you.

Cheers Mick

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503545

Reply By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:37

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:37
Wayne,
I was warned to check as per pic. There was not a problem with the quality or quantity. At that time they were newish owners & may have slacked off a bit by the time Mick got there.
To me represented good value and service.
Mike.
AnswerID: 503546

Reply By: PhilD - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 23:48

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 23:48
I experienced the problems of arriving at Well 23 in September to find no drum with my name on it. I do not know whether it was stolen or never delivered as the Roadhouse has poor records, and the information that has been provided is so inconsistent that I doubt its truthfulness. I am still in discussions about the matter with the Roadhouse but will make other arrangements for fuel next time.
I asked specifically for a delivery close to the arrival date, but that was completely ignored without any communication.
AnswerID: 503596

Reply By: Member - MIKE.G - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 08:18

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 08:18
We had a problem with water and rust in the drum in Aug 2011. We were using a small marine diesel pump that was lowered into the drum with 5 metres of clear tubing attached. The pump was not on the bottom of the drum but touched the side that the drum had been lying on before we lifted it up. We saw the dirt and water coming up the hose and stopped pumping before any entered the vehicle. I would strongly suggest that the fuel is pumped into a jerry can THEN poured into the vehicle. We left approx 30 litres behind, not wanting to push our luck. I contacted the Capricorn Roadhouse and they were very obliging in refunding half the cost of the drum, as they confirmed that the person filling the drums had not done the job properly and had been replaced.

Cheers,

Mike
AnswerID: 503604

Sponsored Links