Need to repair roof - Jayco Eagle Outback

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 14:21
ThreadID: 100241 Views:8704 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

This is the first time I've started a post on the Forum - I've responded to a few in the past, but this time it's yours truly who needs some help.

I've just discovered an apparent depressed puncture through the aluminium roof of my 2006 Jayco Eagle Outback over the weekend. The hole is elongated, about 40mm x 25mm and is located maybe 300mm to the left of, and slightly in front of, the roof vent. How long it might have been there is anyone's guess - it wasn't clear to me that there was anything other than a dent in the roof until I was standing on the ladder alongside it the other afternoon.

Yeah, I just know someone's going to tell me to strip the whole roof, but my pockets aren't particularly well-lined right now - all of our major expenses just happen to hit in the first two months of each year!

Is there a relatively simple, but satisfactory, way of repairing this without going to the expense of stripping the top and fitting a new roof panel? And a couple or six weeks away at the repairer?

I've been thinking of, perhaps, patching over the affected area with a piece of sheet aluminium a bit thicker than the original roof, say 150mm x 150mm in size, giving it a slight curve to match the original roof profile and "gluing" it down with Sikaflex or something similar. Whether this should be pop-riveted or PK-, or TEK-screwed down as well, is something else I'd appreciate your assistance with.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Charlie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member-George (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 15:09

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 15:09
Hi Charlie, a very cheap, but extremely effective, method to fix puctured aluminuim sheeting....Get a roll of "Flash Band" from Bunnings. cut off the required size patch, 50mm all round larger than the puncture hole, and just stick it on. It has a silver top on the patch. I have used this method with patches over 10 years old and no sign of leaking. Good luck, Cheers
AnswerID: 503556

Follow Up By: Member-George (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 15:11

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 15:11
Should have mentioned, it moulds into any shape you like
FollowupID: 780292

Reply By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 19:53

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 19:53
hi charlie
dont know anything about flash band as mentioned
but i have pop rivetted patches over holes with marine sikaflex under the patch and then another lot over the joints and have always had great successcheers
AnswerID: 503577

Follow Up By: Charlie B2 - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 13:13

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 13:13
Hi George and mazcan,

Thank you both for your prompt replies and suggestions.

I'd completely forgotten about "Flashband", even though I'd used it, or a very similar product to repair the lead flashing around my chimney at home. Just Googled it a few minutes ago and it's listed in Bostik's website so should be more than OK. Comes in a great range of standard widths up to 600mm, so more than adequate to cover quite large holes, although the latter might want a slightly stronger treatment.

I guess my only concern with using it in this application would be related to how thin the aluminium layer might be (even though I haven't seen the current versions in the flesh, yet) - I'm worried enough about the original roof now that I know how thin THAT is! I guess it really doesn't matter too much, as long as nothing happens to repeat the problem I'm trying to solve now, just not sure about hail or a tree branch striking it, that's all.

For the moment, it looks like mazcan's idea has the nod from my perspective, but my wife really wants me to get it professionally repaired, through our insurance company - not sure what this will cost yet, but I guess I'll be finding out.

Thanks again to you both for all your help.

Regards,

Charlie
FollowupID: 780359

Reply By: ed c1 - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 22:21

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 22:21
hi charlie,
i had a similar hole in my o7 hawk ob caused by a falling branch.the hole was only big enough to take my little finger to the first knuckle. jayco said the whole roof had to be replaced because of the sandwhich type of construction. it was done under the insurance (cil) dont know what the ecess was as the dealer paid for it as they had the van for so long , they had a lot of trouble getting the right roof,,the first three didnt fit

hope i havent spoilt your day,,good luck
AnswerID: 503677

Follow Up By: Charlie B2 - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 07:42

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 07:42
Hi ed,

You have :-), but don't worry about it.

That's exactly the kind of issue I was concerned about, i.e. having to have the entire roof replaced.

I thought I might have been able to get away with replacing only one side because of the join down the centreline, but if that's not possible and a complete roof replacement were to take, say, months, rather than a couple of weeks to go that route, we might have to think seriously about when we we would be prepared to be without it for that length of time, if we do decide to go the whole hog.

Mid-winter might be a good option - not a lot of fun cooped up in the Jayco for weeks in the rain and cold, anyway!

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,

Charlie
FollowupID: 780433

Reply By: Yanktigers - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 23:16

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 23:16
Hi Charlie, I have been in the repair game for many years & one thing I am going to tell you is not to use flash gaurd, because after about 2 weeks it will lift.

Get yourself some aluminum ( do not scimp on the size) & make sure you have plenty material around the hole so you can use pop rivets but also get yourself cold room sealant which is the sealant you get and put between the top of van and the new material you are patching the hole with. You should be able do this yourself.
Good Luck
AnswerID: 503831

Follow Up By: Charlie B2 - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2013 at 22:06

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2013 at 22:06
Hi Yanktigers,

Thank you for that. Couldn't find any Flashband, only the Flashguard you mentioned, and even then only in quite big rolls; not too keen on the 0.3mm thickness and relatively thin layer of mastic adhesive - that's not much better than the duct tape I've whacked over the hole as an interim measure! Not knocking the earlier response though, it obviously worked for George (?) [can't see earlier post from this screen, to check names - sorry if I got it wrong].

I don't suppose you could give me some guidance on what specific cold room sealant you had in mind? From reports, I'd have been happy with mazcan's Sikaflex, but if this is better, I'd be even happier!

Thanks again and regards,

Charlie
FollowupID: 780955

Reply By: Yanktigers - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2013 at 10:25

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2013 at 10:25
Hi Charlie, Sorry but I could not get back to you yesterday. This brand is Aftek & the product is Panel Mastic cool room sealant. The only contact I have is Thompson White Australia 250 Princess Hwy Dandenong Vic. 3175. They should be able to tell you where to purchase this from. I normally purchase this from a mate of mine and he is away at present and I am unable to contact him at present.

Regards
Garry
AnswerID: 504182

Follow Up By: Charlie B2 - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 15:04

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 15:04
Hi Garry,

No dramas! I haven't been on top of my e-mails this week at all. Not particularly mobile at the moment, so have only now got back to them.

Thank you for chasing that up for me, it's greatly appreciated. I'll pursue that when I start work on my repairs, unless my wife's preference comes to some kind of fruition.

But at the moment I reckon "I can feel a new roof coming on" - Oh, sorry Queenslanders, that phrase relates to something else, doesn't it? :-) :-)

Thanks again to all who've replied.

Regards,

Charlie
FollowupID: 781294

Sponsored Links