Driving Around QLD from bottom to the tip and into NT

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 20:29
ThreadID: 100247 Views:2019 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day myself and a mate are planning on driving all around QLD and also NT this year. We are hoping to spend around 3 weeks travelling around. We will be driving in a new model V8 Landcruiser Ute. As this is our first ever trip of this kind i'm after a bit of advice on what gear to use and take and also some awesome places to visit on our trip. We have had a look at getting a roof top style tent to sleep in and mount it above the tray. If we could get some advice from people that have done this trip before that would be great, as there is so much to see we don't want to miss out on things.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: AstroTravel - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 21:04

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 21:04
Hi Andrew,

Stop in at boynedale bush camp, inland from Gladstone. It's a great free camp with good toilets, fire pits and plenty of space. Don't forget a pot for red claw too.

Also mission beach is a beautiful spot to spend a few days. There is a lovely council run campground on the beach..

Another favourite spot was Goldsborough Valley, about 15 km out of Cairns. Keep following the road until you come to a beautiful campground with bbq's, toilets and a sweet little river to swim in.

Notches point, south of Townsville is gorgeous (free) and there is also a quirky little caravan park called "gropers creek" just south of home hill/ayre.

We were up that way last year and had a great time. It's best to get off the beaten track when you can as it can become bumper to bumper with grey nomads.

My best advice is to download an app called "wikicamps" then cross reference with big 6 (I found if it wasn't in big 6 but was in wikicamps, it was likely to be far less crowded!).

Have fun!
AnswerID: 503587

Follow Up By: Scoobes - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 21:17

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 21:17
Thank you very much for that. Yes it we would love to get off the beaten track as often as we can to get away from the crowds. Also helpful to know about as many free campsites as we can. Do you think 3 weeks will be long enough by the time we travel from Toowoomba all the way to the tip then into NT?
FollowupID: 780327

Reply By: Member - Gaz@Gove (NT) - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 21:36

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 21:36
While you're up here in the NT slip into Gove for a look around, while it's still reasonably inhabited. Good fishing, camping etc.
Mmmmmmmm, now where do we go next?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 503590

Reply By: Rockape - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 21:42

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 21:42
Andrew,
you can't do any of that in 3 weeks, maybe 3 months would do some of it.

There are so many places and things to do it is hard to even suggest anything.

Have a look at the distances first and then pick a route, people can then suggest what you can and cannot do in that time.

So tell people where you are taking of from, what time of year and what you would like to see. Then they will be able to give you some great advise.

RA.
AnswerID: 503591

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 22:17

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 22:17
Hi Andrew,

In 3 weeks you would hardly scratch the surface in Qld let alone doing anything in the NT. What sort of places do you want to visit - coast, inland, rivers deserts, fishing, remote??? When we know that then we can give you some idea about gear to take.

BTW, the header photos today (Tuesday) are from NW Qld, to give you some idea of the country out there.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 503593

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 00:08

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 00:08
Hi Andrew,
To give you some idea on how far you will get in 3 weeks seeing some attractions and not just the black tar.
2010 I went to the tip and took 3 weeks to do it, starting from Port Macquarie NSW. I went to St George, then to Emerald, Charters Towers following the Gregory Dev Road. From their to Undara Volcanic NP (Lava Tubes). Then to Atherton and on to Mareeba, where we got supply's. From there to Lakeland and followed the Peninsula Dev Road to the tip, stopping at Archer River, Bramwell Roadhouse before doing the telegraph track which took 3 days to do as their are a lot of good places to camp, including Fruit bat falls and twin falls and stopping at the Jardine River Ferry for a night. Then on to Bamaga and Seisia and to the tip of Cape York where we spent 3 day looking around and a trip over to Thursday Island.
On the return trip back we stopped at Port Stewart and then went to Lakefield NP and spent another 3 days looking around. From Lakefield we went to Cooktown then on to Bloomfield and did the Bloomfield track to Daintree stopping at Noah beach which was great. From Daintree back to Cairns and then back down the coast to home.
This was a rush trip and could have spent more time at several places but time was restricted. Hope this gives you some idea as to how big this country realy is and how many things their are to see.
Enjoy your trip and safe travels
Andy

PS If you do get into the NT drop into Lorella Springs on the Savanna Way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 503597

Reply By: sweetwill - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 08:50

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 08:50
Hello Andrew.
As you have said, you will be travelling most days, so I would be incline to just pack a double swag each with a self inflating mattres and a quality sleeping bag -5 at least you can unzip it if hot, with a 12x 12 awning this way it is quick to pack up in the mornings, add a couple of gas cookers from woolies, and a fridge of some discription engle / waco. I travell this way and absulutly love it enjoy your trip stay safe cheers Bill.
AnswerID: 503606

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 17:43

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 17:43
Andrew

I have planned to do a trip to the tip of Cape York and back to Katherine by the Savannah Way this year.

I am taking 6 weeks to do that trip.

You are going to do a bigger trip in 3 weeks. I suggest you extend your time frame.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503801

Sponsored Links