Comment: Caravan Antenna

We have the standard winguard antenna on our caravan and I must say it is not very good. I have done some internet searching and an antenna that sounds pretty good is a Saturn 3000. It is supposedly UHF & VHF in one, and can get signals in over 90% of Australia.
They are Australia made and I think the cost was around $400. and can be fitted by a handyman.
If anyone has tried one out please let me know what your experiences have been with this antenna.
P.S. Their website recommends a booster as well!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 18:36

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 18:36
The cynic in me says that "90% of Australia" would mean the population base, 295.

No way would any 'van aerial(except satellite dishes) pick up signals nearly everywhere.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503660

Reply By: ed c1 - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 21:31

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 21:31
hi 295,,
dont spend your money until you have checked out the antenna you already have..i have a jayco / winegaurd on my van and ive never been happy with it, when i was at the rv shop in september last my wife spotted a reto fit update antenna for the wineguargd,(looks like 2 snow flakes $270). i fitted it which was easy,only to find that i still had the same problem ,, so i went looking else where and traced the coax cable from the base of the antenna to the tv,,, and on removel of the booster panel which is fixed to the wall i found that the coax was loose from the antenna and the coax that come through the side of van that plugs into the power pole in really bad areas was also loose,,,, these fittings are screw in type and the nuts were not done up....faulty instalation,,also the booster panel has the 12v cigar socket for power for the tv this was showing signs of extreme heat and had started to melt at the rear end of the socket,,,i will replace it ,,,i only found all this yesterday. the power socket is a worry i think ill look for a better system , my van is only 2.1/2 yrs old
the tv is now going good, i cant wait to get out in the bush again to test it proper

good luck
AnswerID: 503676

Reply By: Mad Habits - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 17:07

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 17:07
I agree the standard Winguard is useless - Until you add the "Winguard Wingman" (it just clips on to the standard ariel and costs around $80). I bought one and it works much better than the standard.

As for 90% coverage across Australia with any TV ariel - WELL - who ever told you that tell 'em they're dreaming!
90% is probably referring to the population which could be lower than 10% of the country's land mass (just like telco's, they can be very misleading with the % they quote)

Just get the wingman and save you're money (unless you're going to get a satellite dish that will get you the desired coverage across Australia, in which case don't get the wingman)
cheers!
Nigel
AnswerID: 503717

Reply By: Member - Chris B1 (NSW) - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 21:13

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 21:13
I was not happy with the Winegard even with the wingman fitted so bought a Saturn 3000 & am still not happy. When alongside a mate with a Winegard I can't get channels when he can. The Saturn fits onto the Winegard mast & uses the Winegard power supply to power the amp which is inside the antennae.
AnswerID: 503819

Follow Up By: 295 - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 14:13

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 14:13
Thanks for the replies guys.
I was quoting from Saturns website about their ability in remote areas. But after reading your comments I think we will have to bite the bullet and pay for a satellite disk to be safe.

Thanks again
FollowupID: 780722

Sponsored Links