Advice needed for WA & Nt Travel

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 23:55
ThreadID: 100274 Views:2905 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello All,
Will be travelling around the top end of WA & NT next July/Aug.We will be using tents.
Is it advisible to make use of a Gazebo with mesh sides for night use or just use good insect repellant.

Thank you Eric
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 08:39

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 08:39
Eric,

for all our travel in that area at that time of year, the only place I recall real issues with was sandflies at Kununurra. It is the middle of the dry so they are not as prevalent as other times of the year. Night bities are particularly active in the time around dusk and early evening so if it's sandfly country, the best defence is to simply cover-up for that period of time around sunset and then use a good quality repellent with plenty of DEET in it. “Bushman’s” is generally regarded as an excellent one.

I always carry a tin of mortien to spray the inside of the tent prior to going to bed jjust in case a few manage to find their way in. It makes for a better nights sleep ;-)

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503689

Follow Up By: Mary-Anne M (Qld) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 09:57

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 09:57
Hi Eric !
You will have an amazing time in the Kimberley...sooo beautiful.
I am allergic to sandfly bites and have found the only thing that works as a preventative is Avon SSS bathoil, no other repellant works for me.
My girlfriend worked in the Kimberley for 6 months, she had a tent but found that a mesh gazebo worked really well for her, so never bothered with a tent at all.
cheers
Mary-Anne
FollowupID: 780439

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 11:47

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 11:47
Eric,
When we travel up that way we always carry a few tins of mozzi coils/sticks (plus the personal repellent, surface spray and general fly sprays). There were many a night when it was just so hot we slept out in the open on a green canvas sheet with about 6 coils spread around the perimeter of the canvas and a coat of surface spray around the outside edge (sprayed hours before bed time), at some locations you knew exactly when the coils were out and it was time to replace at other locations you are fine. I might add that we are typically swag users and even with our swags in fly screen only mode you can just get hot and hence we opt for the open air (not always but it happens).

I have added a light weight fly screen type tent to the equation now but I would still spray inside when getting in each time. Nothing worse than a buzz in you ear in the middle of the night.

Around the dinner table etc we usually use coils/sticks and personal repellent. Regardless of what you use make sure you take an array of repellent options, as conditions will dictate what is best for one location or another. Also when you forget where (or leave behind) one can you will always have another.

You will have a great time no matter what so take care and enjoy.
David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 503694

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 11:54

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 11:54
Eric,

Have been looking at those mesh gazebos too, as an alternative to a tent too. Also they would be great in the Channel Country, when the flies are thick and friendly, and you wish to eat without the addition of too much "black celery".

It's a long time since I was in the Kimberly, but one thing comes to mind. Depending on where you are camped, even in July/Aug, there are often fogs that drift in off the coast, and these can make gazebos into a sodden sieve(as well dampening the occupants and their sleeping gear.). Probably time for a tent then.

Beautiful time of the year up there then, foggy mornings not withstanding!

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 503695

Reply By: wozzie (WA) - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 15:31

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 15:31
Is there such a thing as a "Good Repellant" ?

I mean one that actully works for those little meanies.... Sandflies, No Seeum's Gnats, whatever you call them.

It seemed when we were up that way 2 years ago, that what would work once, never did again with the same insects.

As other have said, get a range, and then some spares

Dreamin' agin

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503789

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 17:33

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 17:33
Eric

Another good idea is to take "telfast". If you get bitten the reaction will not be as bad. It is a non-drowsey antihistamine.

Also you can get "Soov" from the chemist. It is a pain and itch relief gel for bites.

You shouldn't have too many problems with insects during the dry. At the moment have heaps of mozzies, etc., at home.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503800

Sponsored Links