CSR Easter 2013

Hello all. Considering doing the canning, northbound, at Easter this year, setting off 23/3 in a convoy of 2 vehicles.

Has anyone here done it at this time of year in recent years?

Would it be realistic to expect to cover 250km per day and still have time to stop and see stuff? We're short on time and want to see some of the kimberley aswell.

Vehicles are a turbo diesel 80 and a petrol GQ. The 80 has 300l fuel capacity, but the GQ only 200 and will suck up 25/100 in low range, so we're pretty reliant on availability of fuel at Kunawaritji - is the supply there reliable and does anyone know roughly what we'll pay? Are credit cards good out there?

Cheers,
Alex
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 14:04

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 14:04
Wont the northern/top half of the CSR still be VERY wet then???
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 503699

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 14:31

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 14:31
Hi 4lex,
I did it in September last year and the price of fuel at Kunawaritji was $3.40 per litre, and they had plenty. Just make shore you arrive there when open or you will be there for the night.
As for driving in low range, no need it's not that hard a track. I never used low range the entire track.
Andy

PS as for the wet if it's like the NT at the moment their is no wet season, have had very little rain 150mm in December and 148mm in January and little prospect for rain in next month.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 503701

Follow Up By: Member - Richard L (WA) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 14:43

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 14:43
Hi 4lex
Temps that time of year consistantly 40 plus probably closer to 45
To see everything.....21days
To fit in the kimberly after that....depends how far and quick you want to go
The very hot weather is you main concern in my opinion

Cheers
Richard
FollowupID: 780454

Reply By: 4lex - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 16:42

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 16:42
Thanks all. If it's raining when we set off I guess we won't be going, realise we're pushing it at the traditional end of the wet, but then of course that's when it's at its greenest. Hmm.

Good to hear we won't be slogging along in low, I think I should be able to make it across without fuel in the middle in the 80, but the GQ's still going to need a drink. $3.40... that's more than Bamaga!

Sadly haven't got the luxury of a month for the trip. We're out of Perth midday 22/3 and need to be back for work on 8/4, so 17 days all up.

Being realistic, if we pick out what we hope to be highlights for us, from having read others accounts and watched the endless youtubes, can we expect to make a 50km/h average driving, so spend 5hrs travelling and 5hrs of daylight left for exploring/seeing the sights?

Cheers,
Alex
AnswerID: 503713

Follow Up By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 17:49

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 17:49
Hi 4lex,

You wont get 50kph average on the CSR proper, if you want to have a reasonable trip allow an average of 100 kms a day or about 3 wells. Using that average you'll do 120-30 kms some days and only 60-70 kms others. Sites and sights in some sectors will take more of your time than sectors.

Enjoy your trip.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 780462

Follow Up By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 08:51

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 08:51
You are spot on the money Phil B according to my experiences.
FollowupID: 780508

Reply By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 18:26

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 18:26
This year will be my 9th Canning trip.

I work on 99 kilometres per day for my tour convoy. Off course we can do 200 k days but thats a silly thing to attempt on the Canning. If you don't count the rest days at Durba etc we are doing about 80 k per day.

Not doing the more difficult dunes in low range means you will most likely be bouncing and causing scalloping of the dunes. However the long runs between the dunes require high range especially in Toyotas, though the Nissans can sometimes stay in low range if you don't mind doing 50 kph in low range.

I encourage people to attempt to take the dunes as slowly and as smoothly as you can, in fact I can drive up almost all of them in first gear low range if my tyres are at the right pressure. If you can't then you pressures are probably too high. Of course having lower pressures mean you have to go slower between the dunes, I max out at 50 kph with my pressures 50% of on road.

I've been pleasantly surprised at the comments of other convoys at how well our convoy treats the dunes, in fact one guy said "congratulations mate you leave the dunes in better shape than when you got to them"

The moral of the story, allow lots and lots of time, go slow - you will probably only get to see it once, why not take a good long slow look! Besides my personal observations include (in other convoys) 3 broken chassis, about 30 busted springs and an equal number of busted shook absorbers, 2 lower control arms and several fuel tanks falling out- they all drove fast.
AnswerID: 503721

Follow Up By: Member-George (WA) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 19:43

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 19:43
Excellent advise. I totally agree, I have done the CSR 4 times.In my opinion, 17 days to do the return trip to Perth via the CSR is asking for trouble. Cheers
FollowupID: 780473

Follow Up By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 08:46

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 08:46
Yes we take 15 days to go from Wiluna to Billiluna, and at times I think that is too fast. In fact this year I've changed the itinerary to give us even more time on the stock route.
FollowupID: 780507

Reply By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 08:49

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 08:49
Adding the Kimberley to this schedule would not be a good idea. In my opinion, your time allocated to the CSR is already too short to appreciate it, and carries with it a high risk of vehicle damage and breakdown.

At least 21 days is required to see the highlights of the Kimberly region- I once was asked to do a tour for 14 days and found it a challenge to have my clients see even the best spots due to the distances between them and the road conditions- take the distance and road conditions from El Questro to Mitchell Falls and back, and you will see what I mean.
AnswerID: 503757

Sponsored Links