Troopy Rear Door Rattle

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 14:01
ThreadID: 100279 Views:5358 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi my 2008 troopy which has a spare mounted on the rear door has developed an annoying vibration/rattle.
Ive looked at the locking mechanisms, rubbers etc, but does anyone know of any adjustment I can make to tighten the door closure?

Thanks
Craig
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: skid - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 14:34

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 14:34
Look at top latch in large door frame I've had to file wear/grooves smooth esp after dirt roads. Then adjust strikers there is some adjustment. Buy a dual wheel carrier as well for long term fix.
I have had troopies since 1988

John
AnswerID: 503702

Reply By: Trevor G - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 15:18

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 15:18
Hi Craigandej, I bought an older troopy and the back doors rattled like a duuny door in a thunderstorm.

I had 4 new hinges put on. Fixed it.

AnswerID: 503703

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 15:29

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 15:29
Hi Craig,

The upper latch adjustment is by moving the striker and rubber guide on the door frame. The lower latch adjustment is by moving the latch and guide loop on the door itself, or by shimming the receptacles on the frame if necessary.

These movements can be made by loosening the bolts holding the latch or striker and sliding it to the new position. The bolts pass through oversize holes into a backing plate and the whole assembly can move in all directions when loose. If simply adjusting the closure tightness, be careful not to allow the latch to move laterally and get out of line. It can be a good idea to trace around the latch onto the body before loosening anything to be able to see the adjustment amount and also to be able to restore to the original position if need be.

I found that the door body panel was developing a crack adjacent to the spare mounting module on my 2002 Troopy so I removed the inner lining and added steel angle reinforcement inside the door for the bolts that support the wheel mounting. It is now much stiffer. Certainly a wheel carrier would be better apart from the cost and the need to swing the carrier away each time you open the door.
The door hinges on my vehicle are OK.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503706

Follow Up By: Teraa - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 22:41

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 22:41
Where do you get a dual wheel carrier for the back of a troopy ?

FollowupID: 780575

Sponsored Links