Auto Locking Cars

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 13:02
ThreadID: 100344 Views:2362 Replies:12 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Just wandering if other vehicles have this very annoying feature.

My daughter was renting a new GOLF.

here is the scenario

The car is locked
She unlocked the boot via the unlock boot button, not the main unlock button.
She opened the boot to put stuff in then closed the door with the keys in the car

The car then automatically locked the boot and the keys in it.

Had to call NRMA to get the boot opened and was not easy as had to pick the lock.

This does not happen on my pajero and seems like a stupid feature to me.

Just wandering if this is a new feature from the brain trusts which is in all new cars. I hope not.

Rich
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 13:17

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 13:17
Did she or the NRMA guy try pushing the VW emblem in at the top.
AnswerID: 503950

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 13:23

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 13:23
What emblem is that?

We tried the one on the back door though.

Not sure if NRMA guy tried something different as I came out after he started picking the lock.

Rich
FollowupID: 780714

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 13:27

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 13:27
Hi Rich,

Locking keys in the boot has been the norm since cars first had boots. I have done it!
The car did not "automatically lock the boot". Your boot simply was closed and 'latched' as they always did, even before remote locking.

Your Pajero does not have a boot. It has a rear door which is part of the car door system which do not 'latch', they have to be intentionally locked.

Or have I misunderstood the whole thing?
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503953

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 13:59

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 13:59
Hi Alan – here’s another variation
My wife’s new Hyundai’s key has 3 buttons on it - Doors Lock - Doors Unlock - Boot Unlock
If the doors are locked and then the Boot Unlock button pressed - only the boot can be opened.
Once the boot is reclosed, it automatically locks, and needs the key to unlock.
FollowupID: 780719

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 14:01

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 14:01
The GOLF is a hatch door so not really a boot door.

I suspect the fact it has a separate button for the boot makes it a bit different.

My father has a Barina , i will try it with that.

When we closed the door it was not a latch I believe as we heard the electronics kick in and lock it.

The NRMA guys was a surprised as us it did what it did.

Rich

FollowupID: 780720

Reply By: Member - Royce - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 13:47

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 13:47
lol... wonder why you are wandering?
AnswerID: 503956

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 14:03

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 14:03
A slip of the tongue :)

May be what I want to do instead.

My daughter had just packed the car and was ready to head off back to Melbourne.

Rich
FollowupID: 780721

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 14:07

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 14:07
There are Smart cars but unfortunately there are also silly unsuspecting humans.

The car has been trained to know the person who has the key is in charge and because they didn't lock it, then it will.
Because the car is already locked, it knows immediately the rear door is closed you also want it locked, and promptly does so.

Must train humans to place keys only in ignition barrel, never put them down anywhere in a vehicle other than ignition barrel..

No exceptions to the rule.
AnswerID: 503961

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 19:50

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 19:50
Ross. Bit hard with mine as it has a keyless entry with a push button start. Have gone out to my garage a few times lately and pushed the button, only to find wife has the transponder in her handbag so nothing happened. So far, it has only been a trip back into the house to get it. I dread my brother's story happening. They are travelling with van hooked up. Pull into a Woolies Servo for fuel. "She" says I'll head into Woolies shopping centre beside servo and get some supplies while you fill up. "He" fills up (165 litres) pays for fuel, jumps back in 200 series and no start. "She" has taken transponder with her. Frantic phone calls ( with crook reception) to get her back and then he remembers hidden van key which he can now unlock van to get "his" transponder. Bloody smart cars these new ones. Cheers,Bob.
FollowupID: 780768

Follow Up By: Ross M - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 23:42

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 23:42
Toyocrusa

Yes, yours is a bit different and works differently to the VW rental.
A well know cricketer who had a bingle of a friend unwisely bought her an Aston Martin DB7, transponder key. They were upstairs and crook was downstairs in garage, opened door and drove AM out and away. only after some distance did the ECU think, hey, no transponder signal,and shut off the engine.

Cricketer not smart on two fronts, both got used by someone else.
FollowupID: 780796

Reply By: Member - Rich - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 14:12

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 14:12
OK,
This problem does not happen on the Barina which is also a hatch.

The fact that GOLF has a special button just for the hatch/boot is what caused the issue in this case, I believe. I suppose this may be the same with other vehicles that have this button ?

If they had opened the main car doors with the other button the hatch door does automatically close.

I guess once you know then you are OK but this was a hire car and happened while she was packing it up to leave.

Either way not a feature I would like in any car as not even sure how I can lock my keys in the Pajero, not sure I want to either :)

Rich
AnswerID: 503963

Reply By: member - mazcan - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 14:13

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 14:13
hi rich
it is a safety feature of the vw system whereby if you dont open the boot with-in 20 seconds or there abouts it will relock same with the doors if you activate unlock on the car doors and dont immediately
open a door it will re-lock
when you open the car doors then boot is also unlocked with that feature
the hire company should have explained this feature to you daughter and your daughter is at fault also for putting the keys in the boot its a typical thing for women to do drop keys inside a car while doing somethig or leaving their hand bag on the roof and driving off with it there
i guess its easyier for men as we have pockets to put the keys in while attending to chores
because she activated the boot unlock on the key then opened the boot and put stuff in and then closed the boot it automatically self locks again
this is a vw feature and i have owned one for nearly 8 years and have never had a problem the mistake she made was dropping the keys in the boot and not knowing about this catch/tap for the unwary
hope you can folow what i have tried to explain
cheers
AnswerID: 503964

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 14:19

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 14:19
sorry
trap and follow
are the words i ment to use
FollowupID: 780723

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 14:23

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 14:23
re it is a safety feature of the vw system whereby if you dont open the boot with-in 20 seconds or there abouts it will relock same with the doors if you activate unlock on the car doors and dont immediately

My Pajero will do that as well, If i hit the unlock and do not open in a certain time it will relock.

This was not the case here as she did open it and closed it and it locked immediately.

However what you said later and what I mentioned above is true. If you unlock it with just the boot unlock button then it does lock automatically, if you open with the other button it does not.

Any way made the morning interesting and as you can imagine caused a lot of stress between the parties involved - may be why I said above about "WANDERING" instead of "WONDERING"

Rich
FollowupID: 780724

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 17:01

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 17:01
What a pita feature that is. Like the door ajar whine on some vehicles. I'd be blipping, and "bleeping", constantly.
FollowupID: 780741

Reply By: gke - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 14:28

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 14:28
And if the car was in the sun and a baby had been strapped in..........

Graham.
AnswerID: 503968

Follow Up By: Joker - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 15:27

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 15:27
Then you smash the window.
FollowupID: 780733

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 22:22

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 22:22
And what.........the door would be unlocked....... why would you lock a door after putting the baby in?
FollowupID: 780787

Follow Up By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 22:47

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 22:47
mates wife on two seperate ocassions has put the baby in the car, given him the keys to play with put in the shopping shut back door and boot gone to open her door and the baby has locked the car.
TWICE.... both times he gets the call (from a strangers phone). Her going balistic.. Each time Have you called RAC.. Nope. On both occassions!!
RAC on site within 5-10min.
FollowupID: 780790

Reply By: Kimba10 - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 15:47

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 15:47
I tell my wife, donot put the keys down in the boot, as mentioned above either put them in the ignition barrel or pocket, don't put them down in the boot when loading or unloading as this is bound to happen, nearly did it myself years ago. Both my wifes Toyota and prado will also relock if you don't open a door up after hitting the open button on the remote. It will not relock itself once a door has been opened only by the remote or by flicking the lock button inside (which will move all 5 (back cargo door as well) locks into the lock position) then holding the drivers side door handle up while shutting the door. If you do this then obviously you need to make sure you have the keys in your hand. You would only be doing this if your remote is flat or you can put the key in the lock and lock all 5 doors that way......My wifes Toyota sedan doesn't have a botton for the boot which she misses as our old commodore had it which was very handy when your hands are full, saves fumbling with the keys.................
AnswerID: 503976

Reply By: howesy - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 20:05

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 20:05
Ford falcon is same,, its rediculous,, the boot unlock doesnt unlock it just simply pops it open and if you let it shut again and you have placed your keys down while packing then your stuffed,,, there is no warning sticker or any other warning from the dealer and a pissy little hole to crawl through from the cab after the NRMA gets in then try find your keys in the dark because they are too lousy to even have an emergency release strap in the boot and falcon boots can NOT be opened from a button on the dash or lever beside the seat like they used to.
New car designs are going backward
AnswerID: 504006

Reply By: steved58 - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 22:31

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 22:31
A simular thing some time back in my early commodore while assisting another vehicles breakdown I left the keys in the ignition to listen to the radio shut the doors We decided to remove my battery to place in the other vehicle as soon as we touched the battery the vehicle alarm went off all the doors locked with the keys inside Horror we now have to undrivable vehicles so be very careful
Steve
AnswerID: 504022

Reply By: Member - Gaz@Gove (NT) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 22:57

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 22:57
Yeah, smart cars! Today I borrowed the Daughter and SILs's 200 series, was told the fob is in the centre console, so when I got to the bottle shop, I put the fob in my pocket, got out, pushed button on the drivers side handle and got a constant beep. Ahhh, then fished out the fob and pressed the lock button, got the required "I am satisfied" response. " Whew". When returning to the car I just did the usual " hand under the handle" thing and ...no response. So pulled the fob out and pressed the unlock button, no worries. Got home and asked the question, and was told, " the other fob was probably in her handbag on the floor on the passenger side".
Bugger, gettin to old for this shit. :) prefer my 100 series tractor, one button, two responses.
Mmmmmmmm, now where do we go next?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 504028

Reply By: SDG - Monday, Feb 04, 2013 at 00:08

Monday, Feb 04, 2013 at 00:08
I think I will stick to my fobless car.
Stick the key in to unlock.
Physically push the button down to lock, hold the handle up while shutting door.
AnswerID: 504037

Follow Up By: Member - Gaz@Gove (NT) - Monday, Feb 04, 2013 at 21:09

Monday, Feb 04, 2013 at 21:09
Yep, that's for me too. If the button thingy ever dies, just shove the key in and turn it, unlocks everything and away we go.
Mmmmmmmm, now where do we go next?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 780869

Sponsored Links