Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 15:11

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 15:11
Hi Julio,

At Innamincka you can camp on the Town Common camping area by paying at the store. Other campgrounds a bit further out on the Creek require a Desert Parks Pass. You will not need a pass to travel to and from Innaminka.
Your itinerary does not otherwise pass through an area requiring a desert Parks Pass. There will be daily fees for camping in the Flinders Ranges payable to the Ranger.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503973

Follow Up By: Member - Julio C (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 15:15

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 15:15
Thanks for that information
FollowupID: 780730

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 15:33

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 15:33
Perhaps I should have added that if you did want to camp in the Innaminka Reserve that daily passes can be obtained from the Interpretation Centre (Ranger) or maybe the Store. $10 vehicle entry, $18 per vehicle camping. A lot cheaper than an annual pass.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 780734

Follow Up By: Robyn R4 - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 15:59

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 15:59
Ditto for what the others have said.
We camped at "Curra-something Waterhole" (I always get it mixed up with Currawinya National Park in Southern Qld...!)
Paid our fees.
Very unhappy for what we got for our fees.
A loo.
All that money...$10 for vehicle entry, plus the fee for 2 nights...almost $50!
A huge 8 hour storm hit on night one. No warning posted in town about the pending storm, and we passed the Trading Post twice that day. Normally I'd be "yeh, well it's the outback...not too many people in town to do all these little jobs" but there was a ranger in town!
Our tent was shredded. On 2 sides, our walls and floor were only joined by about 1/4...the rest was trendy open plan!
When we arrived in Birdsville 2 nights later, we were told that Neale (Birdsville ciop) had received warning of the storm and had done the rounds of town to alert all.
No such service for our camping fees at Innamincka.
And ironically, we only paid $5 per night extra at Birdsville.
I know, you can argue of the serenity of bush camping in Innamincka, but it was pretty darn good in the unpowered sites by the billabong in Birdsville, too!
Highly recommend the sights and history of the Innamincka area, but good luck finding which track leads out to Birdsville and how far the dump is (they're not great on signs) -we carried our rubbish most of the way to Birdsville until we saw a bin!
Camp at the town common. It looked as nice and it was a fraction of the cost.
Enjoy your trip in a delightfully different area.
:)
FollowupID: 780735

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 17:23

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 17:23
Robyn,

Cullymurra Waterhole is the name you seek.
The dump is off the Adventure Way heading East from Innaminka, a couple of k's out on the right. Whereas the road to Birdsville via Cordillo Downs leaves town in the opposite direction. But yeah, the signage could be better. Maybe that's why they called it the Adventure Way? LOL
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 780746

Follow Up By: Robyn R4 - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 20:50

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 20:50
Oh for crying out loud...what the heck is a Birdsville ciop?! I think he was actually a "cop"...oops!
The one darn time I didn't proof read...!!
FollowupID: 780773

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 15:32

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 15:32
No Julio you do not need a pass. If you are camping at any of the spots along the Cooper (Bourkes Grave, Wills Grave, the Dig Tree at Nappa Merie) stop and pick up some firewood long before you get there. The areas have been fairly much picked clean.

Same applies for camping in the Flinders. You are not allowed to collect timber within the park and it's pretty scarce anyway. You'll need to stop and collect some timber and logs along the way.

It's a great run up that way. Enjoy. Mick

Cordillo and the Cooper

North from Tibooburra on the Santos-Orientos Roads to The Cooper

Flinders Ranges
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 503974

Follow Up By: Member - Julio C (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 16:16

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 16:16
Thanks for the heads-up on the firewood
FollowupID: 780736

Reply By: Member - reggy 2 (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 23:18

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 23:18
Hi Julio
If you are stopping in other parks log onto SA Parks
It is cheaper to buy a short term pass with or without camping as camping is a bit costly.
It does not cover the Desert park pass.
When we travel to SA we buy a short term pass; without looking it up I think it cost about $40-50 for 2 months
Cheers
AnswerID: 504031

Sponsored Links