cape melville

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 20:13
ThreadID: 100352 Views:1768 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
im going to the cape in august i love to see cape melville is the going hard i know its very isolated any advise would be much appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 21:02

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 21:02
Have a look at my blog,Cape Melville trip
AnswerID: 504009

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 23:08

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 23:08
Great area.
Make sure you book your site with Parks in advance, otherwise they won't know you are there :(
Some of the road is quite slow as you weave through the scrub in the sand, but it is not too hard.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 504029

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 23:36

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 23:36
We were up that way a couple of years back and didn't have any major problems. We were in a 100 series 4.2TD well set up for remote travel. Not towing.

If you have time check out a night at Elim just north of Cooktown and go to Cape Melville via the Starckie Track. Allow a whole day for the Elim to Cape Melville leg on a typical bush track through typical savannah lands.

On the way out go through Lakefield.

Phil
AnswerID: 504033

Reply By: Member - Nolo (Brisbane) - Monday, Feb 04, 2013 at 17:13

Monday, Feb 04, 2013 at 17:13
Last year I went in to Cape Melville. Quite isolated but magic. I went up via the Starcke track and out via Lakefield. The Starcke track was a long slow day with many washouts and low top speed. I only encountered four other vehicles and later found that NP had not yet technically opened the track.Check with them at Cooktown. I would recommend the Lakefield entrance. Regardless, a very beautiful place and worth the detour. The predominant (and usually strong) land breeze means west facing beach is very calm. Fishing is quite good too. Nearby fresh water creek on the way in is good for a dip as well.

It would be interesting to see how much of a Nissan Patrol remains there. Apparently the owner went in to the park before NP had opened it for the season and got stuck out on the beach flats at low tide. Recovery was impossible and the vehicle was just left for the daily tide to take. It was surreal to see a vehicle so new just destroyed due to poor judgement. Much was already stripped but doors etc still opened and closed like normal, as though parked in the street. The story was that the owner copped a hefty fine.

Cheers
AnswerID: 504074

Sponsored Links