Thanks to a Good Samaratin

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 22:14
ThreadID: 100355 Views:2268 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Coming home from Melbourne last week, my car decided to throw the timing belt, thus leaving me on the side of the road. Within five minutes a car pulled over to check on things, make sure the kids have water, etc He even hung around untill the NRMA/RACV showed up and towed the thing back to his depot. He drove me, and the kids went in the truck, so we were not waiting around for a taxi.

If you follow this forum thanks, and you were right, busted motor big time. There were metal objects found in the timing case, that should not have been there, and the mechanics can't work out where they came from.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: nootsa200873 - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 22:39

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 22:39
Karma is a wonderful thing. What goes around, really does come around. Good on you!
AnswerID: 504024

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 22:50

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 22:50
SDG

Sorry to hear of your engine failure.
Unfortunately when timing belts or idlers fail it isn't usually good news.

You mentioned the mechanics can't work out where the metal objects came from. I find that hard to believe.

Logically speaking.
There is no way foreign metal can get in there.
Either the mechanic isn't experienced enough to recognize the items or they have been crunched so not recognizable or he doesn't know what should be there and therefore not sure of the bits.

If a timing belt fails or the idler wheels fail, it is because the belt and associated running gear have not been replaced, or correctly replaced, at the correct service intervals.

Although it can happen, only heard of a couple, I haven't had any experience with belts or idlers failing before the correct service interval time. Had experience with, and seen plenty, which the owners never had replaced.

Most engines nowadays are not free running. Meaning, crank cannot rotate without pistons hitting valves, some earlier petrol engine could.

If you have paid for proper and timely ( no pun intended) belt replacement I would think you have some reason to approach the repairer for a warranty claim.

Cheers
Ross M
AnswerID: 504026

Follow Up By: SDG - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 23:14

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 23:14
What was found, other than bits of a broken bearing, was what looks like half a nut(or something that looks like it could have taken a bolt) and a small bit of what he called a dowell. I'm guessing like a bit of rod that one normally lines up another part with. Nothing is broken, or missing except for the bearing on one of the idlers? if thats the right name for it.
Belts were not due for another 40thou, but did have a water pump replaced last month, as the previous one failed....
The dowell looks all nice and shiney.
FollowupID: 780792

Follow Up By: SDG - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 23:15

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 23:15
ps. Old diesel, now with a snapped cam, and obviously valves bent, etc.
FollowupID: 780793

Follow Up By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Monday, Feb 04, 2013 at 08:04

Monday, Feb 04, 2013 at 08:04
Ross M,
I don't think SDG was looking for a lecture on broken belts.
Ian
FollowupID: 780801

Follow Up By: Ross M - Monday, Feb 04, 2013 at 20:30

Monday, Feb 04, 2013 at 20:30
From what SDG has now said, there was work done re water pump a short time ago and that would tend to negate the tiiming belt replacement issue I was alluding to.
Water pumps often have dowels to locate them especially if the water pump is driven by the same cam belt. i would think this is the case.
So the mechanic now is trying to piece together what a previous mechanic seems to have done.
Therefore with this new info it seems the timing belt system has been disrupted by a human who hasn't replaced parts where they should be and possible left threaded items not correctly done up or fitted correctly.

So I was stressing belt replacement and the comment would have been quite different had the additional information been stated in the first post.

Unfortunately for his engine it seems the WP mechanic had delivered the last post.
With someone who really knows the engine, they should be able to pinpoint what it is and technically deduce how it happened.
A robust discussion is due with the WP mechanic.
I have seen workmanship like that before on a V6 Mitsubishi petrol, done by a supposedly qualified monkey.

Ross M
FollowupID: 780861

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2013 at 00:17

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2013 at 00:17
you dont say what sort of vehicle, but Id agree with Ross on many vehicles the water pump replacement could well be the instigator for such a failure.
FollowupID: 780885

Reply By: Member - Wamuranman - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2013 at 08:36

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2013 at 08:36
Getting back to the topic of the original post....its always great to see someone stop and help another in need. This is how it should be ... concern for others and lending a hand if possible. But I wonder if that sort of help may be on the way out due to the "risk of stopping to help".
Recently in Brisbane there was a story on the news about a young man that had stopped to help a stranded motorest. He saw a lady standing near a car on the side of the road with its bonnet up. He stopped to see if he could help...but it was an ambush. As soon as he stopped 2 men came out who were hiding nearby in long grass/trees and hit him over the head and drove off stealing his car.
While these sort of incidents may be few it doesn't help the old fashioned courtesy continuing if motorists peceive an increased risk of stopping to help someone.
I hope it doesn't come to that...but it seems we are living in an increasingly violent and risky world.
Cheers

AnswerID: 504103

Sponsored Links