rear air locker

Submitted: Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 21:02
ThreadID: 10036 Views:1412 Replies:1 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
ARB notes on air lockers make the point that it is benificial to engage the rear air lock on steep down hill slopes....however they do'nt explain why.

So assuming it's wet or dry and your in low ratio 1St gear going down a steep decent, what further benifit are you supose to get from engaging the rear air locker?, can someone pleae explain.

Thanks
Joe

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 21:29

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 21:29
This is what I think - though I am not an expert. If your are going down a steep hill in low range and not touching the brakes and both wheels have good traction, lets say that each wheel turns once every five seconds. With the diff open, say the left wheel is in slushy mud, and stops turning, then the right wheel could turn twice every five seconds for the same engine speed. I have even heard of wheels one wheel turning backwards - forced to by the diff and by the other wheel with traction. A diff lock will prevent this happening as they will both be forced to turn at the same speed. Same would go for the front locker but you would have to be brave to use it as you might not be able to steer too well and it wont unlock too easily under load.
2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
AnswerID: 44404

Follow Up By: Mark - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 14:26

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 14:26
Great explanation, and a good reason to use the locker downhill. Also a good reason why a front auto locker is a good idea (on part-ime 4x4's, as cannot fit to permanent 4x4's). I had a front auto locker on my 80 series and it helped noticeably on downhill decents, but still had the steering ability.

Cheers

Mark
FollowupID: 306661

Follow Up By: Joe - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 14:35

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 14:35
Hi Mark,
Yes I agree fine explanation, better tracktion is final outcome,also less chance of a rear wheel that is starting to lose traction locking up as you feather the brakes I guess.
Thanks
Joe
FollowupID: 306663

Follow Up By: duncs - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 17:38

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 17:38
You are right about the explanation Andrew.

Mark and Andrew, I lived with front and rear ARB air locks for 6 years and used both often. I never had a problem with the locks not coming out, under load or not. If the terrain is that steep you will be loading one side of the diff or the other all the time and the ARB will come out and go back in at the touch of a button.

Have fun
Duncs
FollowupID: 306678

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 22:06

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 22:06
It is good to know that they come out pretty easily. I am always a bit apprehensive with the steering that they might not come out as easily as expected. Thanks for the feedback duncs.2001 Landcruiser 100S Turbo Diesel
"We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing"
FollowupID: 306713

Sponsored Links