Does anyone know anything about 6wd conversions

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 18:30
ThreadID: 100433 Views:12722 Replies:13 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at converting my 200 series into a twin cab with a Telsta style canopy, my first thoughts were just do a standard conversion, then I looked at a few web sights and thought ok extend the chassis, then the more I looked I thought 6 wheels, then I said ok lets go al the way and go 6wd.

I have seen a few but have no idea how they go or perform, so if anyone can help that would be great.

The cost is not an issue.

Thanks in advance Phil.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: garrycol - Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 19:02

Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 19:02
Are the ones you have seen 6x6 or 6x4 with the extra 2 wheels just a lazy axle and not driven?
AnswerID: 504261

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 19:08

Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 19:08
Sorry my bad, I have seen a few (3) 6wd conversions ( Troopies ) I have also seen a few 6 wheel lazy axles conversions, my question is about 6wd conversion.
FollowupID: 781054

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 19:52

Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 19:52
I know of 2 6x6 traytop conversions in SA and one of the guys who is involved wit them describes them as "dogs".
Buy a second hand OKA and rebuild it if necessary.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 504262

Reply By: Member - DickyBeach - Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 20:05

Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 20:05
Hi Phil,
You might like to check out 6x6 Australia as they claim their 2nd axle is NOT a lazy axle but a "driving" axle and one which switches automatically and instantaneously with the "main" axle as required.

Cheers,
DickyBeach

AnswerID: 504264

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 20:34

Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 20:34
"The fact that all the drive wheels are in contact with the ground allows our vehicle to climb steeper inclines as well in the most remote areas, with grades of 75% at full load being already achieved in testing at a rugged quarry site near our factory." Holy Toledo, 75% ?! I'd love to watch that!
FollowupID: 781059

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 20:45

Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 20:45
Phil,

In would highly reccomend Multidrive Technologies in Geelong. I researched this when I first bought my ute 3 years back. Multidrive cut mine and extended the chasis by 500mm. That came with a GVM upgrade as well (covered in blog link below with photos).

Their 6x6 conversions are a work of art. They utilise a splitter up front. I think you'll find most places that do the 6x6 use their technology and parts in the drive train.

Multidrive do a power of these conversions for SES, CFA and DSE in Vic & NSW. The also do army conversions. These jobs aren't cheap though.

Multidrive Technologies

Ute Build

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 504269

Reply By: Eric Experience - Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 22:17

Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 22:17
Phil.
6x6 vehicles are a dog to drive because the rear axles want the vehicle to go straight ahead. turning the steering wheel works most of the time but if the back has more traction than the front the vehicle can not be steered. If you want a vehicle with more capacity the army are selling 200 Unimogs next week plus some 6x6 landrovers. Eric
AnswerID: 504275

Follow Up By: scandal - Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 19:49

Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 19:49
Can you point me to where they are selling their mogs
FollowupID: 781117

Follow Up By: Eric Experience - Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 21:25

Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 21:25
Scandal.
Greys on line will be selling some. Eric
FollowupID: 781126

Follow Up By: scandal - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 09:37

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 09:37
Thanks Eric
FollowupID: 781159

Reply By: Dr Hook - Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 22:40

Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 22:40
A mate had one: knew his stuff (definitely not an idiot!), still spent a fortune on trying to get it right (vibration, power, economy, etc) stuffed around with transfer cases, drive-line alignment, engine (etc) mounts, suspension height, diffs, wheels, everything else you could think of, but gave up in the end and bought a conventional 4WD: never looked back!
Seems to me to be a great opportunity for an "Expert" to deliver lots of promises and invoices for technical work done, with no apparent benefit to the consumer.
Dr Hook
AnswerID: 504276

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 00:15

Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 00:15
Hi Phil, i have looked into the same and in detail over the last 2 years, looking at various set-ups and asking questions, my final concluision is that you will only buy trouble, yes there are a lot out there but most will be linked to a heavy maintenance schedule and not really doing much real work over an extended period of time, the army use them and again heavy maintenance work, fire control and other like companys use them but they simply dont last long, well not $ for klms driven and the last thing you need is to break down half way up "big red" and given a lot of the drive systems are custom made you cant gets parts in a hurry and you are screwed ......
Lazy axels are a differant story, all original drive train units are used so NO issues there, extend the chassis and it only means a new tailshaft and probally a center bearing, again you wont have issues with that, the "lazy" axel is simply a trailer axel so no real issues there .............
My concluision was to have a 6 wheel car, 4wd with the REAR still as the drive, the lazy axel has a big problem with traction as you are driving the "middle" axel and it tries to pull the car rather than push it and dig in for grip, with a rear wheel driven unit it "should" drive heaps better but i have yet to find one, i have since given up due to location and time, it just aint gunna happen so i have sold my 75 series duel cab with an extended chassis and purchased a stock 105 series, i may down the track extend the chassis on that but never will go the 6wd ......
Get on the "Lcool" site and you will find heaps about it, i had some posts asking about the pros and cons and some added pics as well, all interesting reading..
Cheers
Joe
AnswerID: 504281

Reply By: garry r - Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 12:15

Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 12:15
the lazy axle setup can catch you out. Have driven a 2tonner ( one tonner with lazy axle) if you happen to back upover a gutter for example your drive axle can be lifted off the ground sufficiently enough to loose drive traction - forward or rear. How embarressed i was to be pulled enough to regain traction. Lesson learned be aware of troughs and gutters
AnswerID: 504314

Reply By: Ray H4 - Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 12:58

Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 12:58
hi
I have been down this path I have a 2005 D22 nissan navara duel cab, after doing lots of mods and getting a custom slide on camper made did a trip across the simpson and suffered a slight bend in the chassie. My solution was a lasy axel and a gvm upgrade. Work was done by creative conversions at brendale, they do very good work. Then did trip to tassy etc had a few traction issues and decided that 6x6 might be the solution. Decided that I would do 6x6 conversion after getting release of the funds from she who must be obeyed. the 6x6 conversion was completed by 6x6 Australia in Northern NSW, am happy with the outcome. It provides constant drive through the front(rear) axle to the rearmost axle. Did a trip to Fraser last year with the ute loaded total weight was about 3.9 ton no problems at all through Indian head etc but I have spent a lot of money.

regards
AnswerID: 504316

Reply By: Aussi Traveller - Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 13:40

Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 13:40
Thanks for your replies so far, there is some food for thought and I will look at some of those options etc.

Phil
AnswerID: 504319

Reply By: Batt's - Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 22:22

Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 22:22
I looked into a 6 wheel drive conversion a few yrs ago I put a fair bit of thought onto it and decided against it yes it would out climb any conventional 4x4 but has a few drawbacks which didn't suit my needs you can't raise the height of the vehicle your stuck with the height it comes built at limiting you off road clearance. You will be scrubbing out tyres a lot costing more money. Benifit is you can carry more weight on the back which I really didn't have any use for most slide on campers usually range from 400 to 700kg loaded "approx". I ended up buying a patrol with a chassis extension which I can fit any size lift kit to, to suit my needs . Mine has an 850mm chassis ext with a 2.1mtr tray I reckon it's about as long as you really need to go. I think 650mm ext is more practical around town. I have polyair bags in the rear coils to assist when carying heavy loads. I have been looking into air bellows so when I get a slide on camper I can be lazy and not have to wind up or down the support legs just use the ability of the bellows to pick the camper up pull the legs out and drive off. I'm not sure if you could do that with a 6 wheeler or not.
AnswerID: 504347

Reply By: Inflataduck - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 10:01

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 10:01
Phil I have had both 6x6 & 6x4 & still have a 6x4
(6x6) I would never have a 6x6 again as yes it had plenty on traction on tracks but of road did not have enough travel & certainly had no reliability the rear end always blu apart & would not steer well,hated a reverse park. It was noisy & strangely hung you up with wheels of the ground (did not have LSD or diff locks) I must point out that my last 6x6 was 10 years ago & they may have got better, but i deal a lot with gov agencies who have some but they still spend a lot of time in the repair shop. I personally will never have a conversion 6x6 again as too many trips were cut short and by coming home on front wheel drive & I did think about putting wing nuts on the rear tail shaft & axles.
(6x4) Some are Crap & some are great but all compromises have a Pluss & - I have been very happy with my 2 vehicles by 6 wheeler conversions.They have are a 60/40 system so you have 60% on drive & 40% on the trailing & if the back wheels go up the drive wheels go down giving more traction. they have a 3rd manufactures plate so rego & insurance has never been a problem. if you live in an area with lots of round abouts you wheel hate it as the rear tyre squeal will piss you off, I would fit a diff lock to the front & LSD in the back if you do not have them already, when carry weight you wheel not have a problem empty is a different story. send member msg & I will go through it with you if you want as thread will not let me ad any more
AnswerID: 504366

Reply By: Ray H4 - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 10:10

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 10:10
Hi
Continuing to read the additional posts on this subject interesting. My D22 that has survived my desire to make it a serious tourer also has body lift, suspension lift and the rear suspension has full swing arms and automatic hight a justing airbag suspension, which I lower and rais when putting the camper on and off the tray. The veh had the modified height when it went in for the chassie extension and the lazey axles initial done, veh clearences are no proplems limited by the diff which could be modified with portal axles if they made them for the D22. I thought that I would provided this additional info as I have done the 6x6 modification and it is very good. Aussi Traveller if you require any more info just ask by the way my son has a 2009 76 series wagon which he has had "chopped" and lengethen by Creative Conversions and is very happy.

regards
AnswerID: 504367

Sponsored Links