Mazda tribute- how to remove manifold?

Submitted: Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 13:56
ThreadID: 100448 Views:2095 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
How to remove the manifold on a Mazda tribute to inspect the injectors?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 17:16

Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 17:16
You may not have to remove the manifold, most injectors are held into the manifold by the rail which supplies them with fuel.

Remove fuel rail and each injector should just "wiggle" out.
AnswerID: 504329

Follow Up By: geoff0123 - Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 17:59

Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 17:59
Ok great, the 5th cylinder is responding poorly&runs rough. Coil and spark plug are fine and Mazda said it could be injector pulse. Want to check it out. How would I know if the fuel injector is faulty, blocked?
FollowupID: 781113

Follow Up By: Ross M - Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 19:53

Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 19:53
How do you know it is the 5th cylinder?

When starting from cold you can quickly touch each exhaust branch of the exhaust immediately after startup. If one is cylinder is poorly then it will remain colder for longer than the others.

The injector pulse is an electrical thing and it may be the wiring to one of the injectors has flopped around with normal use and broken one of the two wires which goes to an injector. You will know which one cos of the cool feel described above. Look for sagging loom wires going to the injectors, may need to be supported.
This fracturing of wires has happened to some BT50's so not totally uncommon.

It is possible to test the pulses to an injector with test equipment.

An injector can block or fail and not deliver fuel to the cylinder, this isn't very common but can happen.

Anyone who can identify 5th cylinder is poorly, should also, at the same time, be able to identify the actual fault. Maybe one of the above.

If you suspect a particular injector it can be taken to a fuel injection service centre and they can test it for you.

If you really think it is the injector, a wrecker may be able to sell you one from a Mazda V6 engine do do the same job. Just change it over and see if it improves. may be the cheapest way of fixing it.

Ross M
FollowupID: 781118

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 22:19

Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 22:19
You can check injectors with a scope (cro) for duration and you can also see if the wave form has a nipple (or peak) at the end of the injector cycle..... it tells you if it has opened and let fuel in.
FollowupID: 781133

Reply By: olcoolone - Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 22:13

Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 22:13
I strongly suggest getting someone with knowledge to do it for you...... you asked two questions, how to take the manifold off and how do you know if an injector is faulty.

To little knowledge can be costly and also lead to misdiagnoses.

Why haven't Mazda looked into it further for you?
AnswerID: 504346

Reply By: geoff0123 - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 00:05

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 00:05
Thanks for your responses.I have had the wiring from the coil to the ecu tested and is fine. I'm not entirely sure that the connector on the 5th coil isn't buggered. Mazda has eliminated the problem down to a possible injector issue? They have run diagnostics. They will investigate further but will charge over $600 for 5 hours investigating without fixing it completely, that is just to source the problem. If its not the injector then it may be a compression issue so will then need testing. I just want to test the injector in the 5th. The 5th cylinder is the only one that doesn't effect the idling and I have already fitted a new coil and spark plug tests with new plug. Process of elimination.
AnswerID: 504350

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 19:57

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 19:57
Good luck with you trial of elimination.
FollowupID: 781226

Sponsored Links