136W Flexible Roll Out Solar Panel “road tested”

Submitted: Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 18:12
ThreadID: 100452 Views:7947 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day everyone

I promised you in my other thread (ThreadID: 100337 Date: 03 Feb 2013 10:43)
to “road tested” and let you know result of:

136Watt Flexible Roll Out Solar Panel Charge Kit - MPPT Regulator & Accessories;

Sold on Ebay by seller under name: rsolar11

Also sold here: [url=https://www.rolasolar.com.au/solar-charge-kits.html]

WOW
If only everything we buy these days would be so well made and presented, we wouldn’t be definitely sorry to part with our money. The test of this solar panel was very good. Whole experience of buying this product is a joy, as you can even go on Skype and talk to the seller if you have any question.
I’m not associated with seller, but the product and service get my thumb up!
HooRoo Dana

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 21:24

Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 21:24
Don’t worry about the WOW – give us some substantial information - get technical
How many amps did it produce at midday on a clear sunny day.
AnswerID: 504343

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 22:53

Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 22:53
From the link in the OP's post:

"The PVL-68 thin film laminate generates 68 Watts, 4.1 Amps and 16.5 Volts but is capable of producing more power over the course of a day than crystalline panels with higher wattage. Typical a PVL-68 laminate should be compared with 80-85 watt crystalline panels."

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 781136

Follow Up By: Danna - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 09:08

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 09:08
Hi Frank and others
To view specifications open the link to RolaSolar in this thread, on top and go to Solar Charge Kits (on top line in Shop Category).
Than next to: Add to Cart, to View. You will get to all specifications, everything is there, and it’s well explained.
The panel did really up-to now more or less what the specification say, including alarm warnings and wattage. The display on controller showed in one stage floating voltage 13.2V but car battery was almost fully charged.
Panel was shaded in two corners slightly, as we don’t have any unshaded area big enough to test it. It was laying flat on ground, not tilted to the Sun. Still, we did get up to 100W/ 6.6Amp.
We were pleasantly surprised to see all double insulated leads of top quality and the charger controller is nothing like these cheap unreliable controllers coming with all glass panels made in China.
You don’t have to be an expert, you know you are getting quality for money.
Cheers Dana

Ps. when I was small girl, my grandmother use to say:

“ We are not a rich people, so we can’t afford to buy a cheep thinks”.

I didn't understood then; but I do understand now.
FollowupID: 781154

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 10:21

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 10:21
Thanks for the info Danna
I saw the seller’s data – I was more interested in how they performed in the field.
I have seen good panels achieve 110% in ideal conditions whilst my mate down the road reports the best he gets is about 80% of rated output with crystalline panels
FollowupID: 781162

Follow Up By: Danna - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 13:06

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 13:06
Hi Dennis
The panel is very new, we have it only for few days, but I will write more about it after we come from trip. It should be soon ... I hope.
In May also.
Ciao Dana
FollowupID: 781176

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 07:32

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 07:32
Glad you are happy, there are certainly benefits to flexible solar panels including weight and transporting. At about $6 per watt though you would obviously have to have a real need for space considerations, being about 5 - 6 times the price of a solid panel.

Another option is the semi flexible ones on ebay and sold by Mandrake etc for about $2.50 per watt. Unlike the rollup ones, these are dropping in price rapidly like sloid panels. Not as flexible as the roll ups, but less weight.

One advantage of the old flat style is that if it is mounted to collect energy on the vehicle, it will top up the battery in the same way as DC-DC converters, overcoming the voltage drop issue to trailers, and it give you a full charge to start the night when stopped. Even a small 20 - 30W fixed panel in conjunction with a roll away one would be useful to get the full charge and extra 10 or so AH.

AnswerID: 504355

Follow Up By: Danna - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 09:14

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 09:14
Hi Boobook
Firstly, we love to buy top quality product and hate any kind of waste! We are stress for space, since we can't have any thing in tow ..... it is not practical to bush-bash with trailer, it would be more like stupid to do so. We even don’t want anything to be stuck on roof ... Troopy wouldn't fit to our garage and everything would get damaged with bush-bash driving.
We have been there; we damaged few things on roof of our other 4WD. We have even full paint protection on Troopy by OziCozi, and that was costly, but very good decision. With this kind of use, there wouldn’t be left much of duco on our Troopy by now.
Ciao Dana
FollowupID: 781156

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 15:47

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 15:47
How long is the warranty? I couldn't find it on their site. I know some flexible domestic panels only have a 2 year warranty.

AnswerID: 504397

Follow Up By: Danna - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 17:39

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 17:39
Rola136-Kit has 2 Year RolaSolar Manufacturing Warranty

Power Output Warranty:
92% / 10 Years, 84% / 20 Years, 80% / 25 Years

FollowupID: 781214

Sponsored Links