Craigs Hut

We have a F250 long wheel base and would like to know the easiest way to Craigs Hut. Most of our travelling has been in S.A. Thanks Jan 1
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 19:49

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 19:49
I would look at giving it a miss with your F250, we had a current shape Hilux that's about a foot longer then a Landcruiser and there was a few places that got a bit tight on two corners....... we went through after they had some big rains.

It's only a very small part of the track which would be a concern.

AnswerID: 504417

Reply By: Michaeljp - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 00:13

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 00:13
If its a 4WD F250 you will have no probs except for the humps they put across the track to stop erosion, you might bottom out on them. I visited the hut first week of this year in a standard patrol, both the proper craigs hut track and the monument track.
AnswerID: 504435

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 06:50

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 06:50
Take the circuit track clockwise around to the NE of the hut. Then come in heading SE to the hut on Clear Hills track, it is a bit rough but won't present a problem at all. Monument track is fairly steep and has a few high drain ruts. If your truck is high then it will also be ok.

Even if you do get stuck you will have 10000000000000000 4wders with a 'hard on', willing to help you.

If you want somewhere quieter to go you could go to the corner of Bourke and Swanston Streets Melbourne, the buildings have been there much longer and are authentic too.

The most interesting thing about Craig's Hut apart from a great view is you get a perspective on what $600,000 of government money will build ( excluding labour and materials which were largely donated). My builder mate said he would have done it for $80,000.

Yeah I know..... but it is early on a Sunday morning.
AnswerID: 504443

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 20:31

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 20:31
Jan head up the Mt Buller Rd to Mirrimbah, turn left after the toll booth & travel 7km turning right onto the Circuit Rd at Telephone Box Junction. Continue for approx 25 KM's turning left up Clear Hills Tk to the Hut. The Circuit Rd has recently been graded & Clear Hills will be no problem anywhere for an F Truck. Allow 1 hour 20 from Mansfield.
The northern half of the Circuit Rd is currently closed for road works (May open soon) from Clear Hills to King Basin Rd)
Cheers Craig..............
AnswerID: 504483

Follow Up By: patrolmann - Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 11:41

Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 11:41
Hi guys,
Just following up on this info,
Can anyone tell us if the fires are under control as of today?
and are we ok to head into The Vic High Country 16th Feb for a week.
Would like to do Mansfield areas and then drag the van around to Dargo or Talbotsville area and camp up and do Blue Rag and Billy Goat ??
I will be travelling alone but I am experienced and hoping to meet up with other 4x4ers in the area.
Cheers
Patrolman
FollowupID: 781351

Follow Up By: Andrew & Jen - Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 12:54

Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 12:54
Patrolman
Have a look at the fire map attached to the fire warning advice for Mt Hotham, etc on the CFA website - it's a pdf on the top RHS.
The latter part of your trip could well be affected. Given the rugged and largely inaccessible country that is burning, they don't expect the fires to be fully extinguished until the rains come in late March (?) -> April. Until then, hot days with strong or gusting winds could fan the flames and produce spot fires.
Cheers
Andrew
FollowupID: 781355

Follow Up By: Crackles - Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 17:38

Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 17:38
My take on camping in the High Country at present is if you are unfamiliar with the area of travel, haven't taken the time to look at (and understand) fire maps, weather conditions & track closures, then sorry you shouldn't be up there! Additionaly before heading in you should have a rough evacuation plan & be aware of all heli pads, clearings & refuge areas should the worst happen. Campsites on dead end tracks should be avoided.
Dargo, Talbotville & Blue Rag will all be threatend by fire in the next 2 weeks if rain doesn't put the Harrietville fire out, but never take mine or anyone's word for that off a forum. Go check yourself.
Regards Craig.............
FollowupID: 781374

Follow Up By: patrolmann - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:14

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:14
Thanks Andrew,
I have been checking the CFA website but was just after some local info as well.
From what i can see on the website I should be ok to go to Mansfield area. Maybe do Craigs Hut and some of the area around Jamieson and stay away from Dargo area.
Crackles
Sorry, I did say I am experienced in 4x4ing and I thought that would have been a given I would have checked maps and know where Heli pads are. My concern is I have not been to this area before and was hoping for some good advice from locals who have first hand experience up there.
I'll ask in the info centre at Mansfield when I get that far and follow there advice as well as CFA website as it gets closer.
Cheers
Patrolman
FollowupID: 781514

Follow Up By: Crackles - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 18:30

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 18:30
I only mentioned it Pat as a few so called experienced members of my local club went up that way a couple of weekends ago, wind changed directions blanketing them in smoke so they decided to high tail it out. Only problem is they had little knowledge of the tracks they were on & while heading away from the Licola fire went even closer down wind of the Harrietville fire. Whoops. Simply had no plan, didn't understand exactly where the fires were & which way they could safely exit. All this despite having sat phones to call home for updates & checking CFA websites when they got internet service on the hills.
They did say there were very few people driving around up there.
My suggestion for High Country travel at present is to camp ouside the Park & do day trips to known safe areas or come back in a month. For the next several days the forecast is for thunderstorms so God forbid more lightning strikes are possible.
Cheers Craig...........
PS: DSE at 128 Highett Street, Mansfield will be far more assistance than tourist info centre.
Cheers Craig..................
FollowupID: 781545

Follow Up By: patrolmann - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 09:24

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 09:24
Hi Crackles
Thanks for the information and Ill certainly go to the DSE and check it out when I get to Mansfield. With some luck they might just get some rain dumped and not the thunderstorms. Lets hope !
Worts case I keep going and head to Blue Mountains for my 9 day break.
Cheers
patrolman
FollowupID: 781571

Follow Up By: Andrew & Jen - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 12:56

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 12:56
Hullo patrolmann
If you decide to head further afield, a suggestion would be to consider the adjacent eastern Gippsland - east of Omeo (provided no fires in the meantime) - or the SE of NSW between the Monaro Hwy and the coast up to about Bateman's Bay. There are some excellent areas to explore across this part of the country, with a good guide being produced by Craig Lewis and Cathy Savage called "4WD Touring - South East NSW and East Gippsland"
Cheers
Andrew
FollowupID: 781581

Follow Up By: patrolmann - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 13:10

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 13:10
Thanks Andrew,
I look at that area as well.
cheers
patrolman
FollowupID: 781583

Reply By: Peter W - Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 12:31

Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 12:31
Ditto directions from Crackles above.
Just back from the trip and you will have no problems with the road at the moment. Just take care on the corners with such a large unit. A fair bit of traffic up there from time to time.

Peter
AnswerID: 504520

Sponsored Links