Servicing Costs

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 19:21
ThreadID: 100474 Views:7064 Replies:12 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
We own a 4X2 2008 diesel Holden Colorado which we are delighted with. It's very economical and it tows our caravan faultlessly. Our only grumble is the cost of servicing. The 30K service is now due and the quote we have received is $595.00. Essentially, its an engine oil and filter change and requires the front wheel bearing grease to be replaced. (This needs to be done every 30K kM apparently) Its a 4X2. Do the Izuzu D Max 4X2 front wheel bearings need to be repacked every 30k? I have never heard of any 4X2 vehicle needing such frequent front wheel bearing grease replacement.
The 20k service was almost as expensive, just an oil and filter change and a look around and a $500.00 bill.
I much prefer to use the dealer to service our vehicles, but it looks like I will be doing my own servicing from here on.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: gbc - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 19:39

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 19:39
Start saving now for the 40, it's the major service. All brands are exxy at dealers.
AnswerID: 504415

Reply By: olcoolone - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 19:43

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 19:43
I'm not a big fan of knocking dealerships BUT if your paying that much for a basic service I think you need to ask the dealership some serious questions.

For your 20k service I would expect maybe $250-$300 at most but not around $500.

I'm sure you will get a lot of others saying "don't take it to a stealer" but end of the day your Colorado will get you more money if serviced by a dealer and any recalls that may be in force will be dealt with....... another advantage of using a dealer is if anything should go wrong with their workmanship or parts used you are covered Australia wide.

Most dealerships will charge around the $140-$160 per hour labour plus the cost of genuine parts.

AnswerID: 504416

Follow Up By: Skulldug - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 07:02

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 07:02
Oil oolong,

When I owned a ford, they would check for chip updates at each service. Now, I have a Toyota, I have to check for updates on Pradopoint and ask the dealer to install them.

Skull
FollowupID: 781247

Follow Up By: KevinE - Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 19:53

Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 19:53
"Most dealerships will charge around the $140-$160 per hour labour plus the cost of genuine parts."

Humm, maybe most Toyota dealerships charge this, but most others are around the $90 per hour mark.
FollowupID: 781382

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 08:55

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 08:55
To find a dealer that only charges $90 per hour is like finding a needle in a hay stack...... most non dealer mechanical businesses charge between $85-$110 plus GST per hour.

I can remember when we use to charge $35 per hour!
FollowupID: 781404

Reply By: The Bantam - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 20:03

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 20:03
Mate situation normal for dealer services.....large bill for not very much.

Grease to service front wheel bearings.....wot.....$10 RETAIL

5 litres of oil......$60 RETAIL

oil filter......$20 RETAIL

They are making about $450 out of you for probably less than 2 hours of a first year apprentices wages.

They' be paying about $2 for the grease about $20 for the oil and about $10 for the filter tops...they'll be paying the apprebtice about $10 to 15 an hour.

There is BY LAW no warranty issues taking it to a qualified independednt mechanic.......

SO...a national warrant is an issue for changing some oil and a greasing front wheel bearings.

cheers

Any recalls they should be advisning you in writing...and the recall will be free of charge.
AnswerID: 504419

Reply By: flashcher - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 21:05

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 21:05
We have a 2010 Mitsubishi Challenger and it costs roughly the same as yours every 15,000 km's. We have capped prices servicing with the stealer, but I am not a huge fan of the service department in our area. We choose to have an oil & filter change between stealer services through a mechanical workshop who we are on very good terms with. I asked them to price the 15,000 services and they couldn't compete with the stealer.
Maybe you could get a local mechanic to give you a quote on how much they would charge.
AnswerID: 504424

Reply By: Yanktigers - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 21:25

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 21:25
Hi Keith, I have always frowned on what these dealerships charge for servicing. Find a mechanic who does log book servicing & ask for a price. I would think you would be better off. There is no crime committed in asking around

Regards
Garry
AnswerID: 504426

Reply By: Ross M - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 22:16

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 22:16
Keith Q
I agree with ocoolone's comments as it is what does happen and the "oh so mighty" record of "correct" service by the dealer is to be revered at all times and must never be questioned.
On these assumptions car prices are inflated and it means something only to those who naively respect the service book system and think it means something.

In other words if it means something to you then you are at peace with it and accept the implications of the belief.

If you look closely at the service schedule in the book you can work out what is required and with advice, what it should reasonably cost.
Gouging is common.

If the amount paid was for excellent service, with ALL items done properly, with good quality lubricants and workmanship then it isn't so bad.
Unfortunately the above sentence is rarely true.

To me the issue is: To weight up the costs against possible vehicle trouble.

Previously I have discussed with people who have had their 40,00km service and it was around $550 to $600 and some were dearer still.

Valve clearances are done at 40,000km, or should be, and many dealers charge for it but because they know the adjustment in many cases will be OK they have a bad habit of not checking them. It is more work but they should be checked.
Many who have had their 40,000km service found the dealer never even began to look at trying to do it. A lack of evidence of it being done is often found.

Yes, the grease has to be replaced and it is wise to do it around that interval. Book is at 30,000km.

There is more than 5 litres in the sump. 7.5 litres with filter. Good quality oil $40
Often Isuzu dealers use Valvoline oil. If you want a good oil use Mobil Delvac MX ESP. The ESP is for engines with particulate filters. Or Caltex Dello 400.

I would love to see your vehicle and check if the diff, transfer and manual gearbox (if applicable) has EVER been changed at the 10,000km intervals. Not hard to check. I have found many which haven't been ever touched at the 10,000 and the 20,000km intervals. Customer paid for it though.
Pre delivery also states it should be done and even that would show the level plugs had been undone. Not so.
Sakura filters # C-1527 are almost exactly the same as the costly Isuzu ones. Sakura makes them for Isuzu but paints them a nice shade of blue. $ X 3 or $ x4 for the paint. Isuzu oil filter $56 same same Sakura $16

I was burnt at the 3000km "free"service where they check the engine oil and spray silicone tyre shine over the wheels, disc brakes and side panels. They actually got some on the tyres too. Nothing else done or checked.
They didn't like getting caught.

It is a toss up when deciding which way to go with servicing, just harder for some than others.
It is just the way it is.
Ross M
AnswerID: 504428

Reply By: Thinkin - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 23:33

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 23:33
hello Keith Q'

If you check your service coupon booklet (4x2) you will see that the manufacturers allow 1.9hours for that particuliar service, ( change oil, filter, and repack front wheelbearings ,grease unijoints and splines and check gearbox, diff, transfercase oils. inspect belts, bolts, nuts,water,brakes,wipers, air filter and everthing else you would like to name).
Point being, is that 1.9 hours labour plus oil and filter and bearing grease shouldn't amount to $595.
Obviously if they find any else thats worn or broken or needs replacing means more money.
Alpero
AnswerID: 504432

Reply By: Grant L - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 00:21

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 00:21
Hi Keith Q
Know exactly were your coming from my experiences are detailed here.
My 2010 Colorado 4x4 diesel, coudn't be got to the stealer and left for the day as requested so took it to my sons mate (new mechanical business up the street) from home.
An hour or so after dropping it off mechanic rang to give me options regarding quality of oil for transmission diffs etc. I put the best quality available in due to extended towing expected.
When picking up car was told that a enquiry with a local stealer advised that the 40k service was $800.00 plus, my mechanic charged me $500.00 and advised me that the engine had previously been over filled by a litre ( I personal found that out also when checking the oil after each service, had previously spoken to steeler about it there reply was oh would you like to make a booking to bring it in) the rear brakes, he had to stop and check that he was adjusting the right way (they had never been adjusted) it took so long to adjust them up, mechanic also advised that he had taken paint off in several places "I said wot" yes all grease nipples still had original paint on and it didn't appear to have been greased. Overall suggestion was that may be per-delivery was non existent. Oh also front wheel bearings were not even adjusted by steeler let alone washed and re-packed.
Guess who now will never see this vehicle again

Grant
AnswerID: 504436

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 01:51

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 01:51
If the dealers did all that was on the service shedule.....with due care and attention..and it was done by a qualified tradesman....it may be possible to justify the prices.

But more often than not its a dump the oil, paint the tyres and a tick and flick done by either an apprentice or a tradesmans assiatant specificaly employed to do lube work...and as fast as possible.

I know my hillux with 280 000 on the clock and always dealer serviced had never had the front diff oil changed.....oil black and paint still in tact on the drian & filler.

Yeh the front wheel bearings had been repacked at least once...but never properly.....the drive shafts had never been greased where they come thru the hubs.

Oh and those fixed price servies......yeh interesting how all sorts of fluids don't need changing till the service after the fixed price servies run out.

Oh do ya want us to change the wiper blades they are due for replacement.....that'll be $50........no thanks mate they are fine.

cheers
AnswerID: 504439

Follow Up By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 08:48

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 08:48
I was charged $155 to grease the prop shaft of the LC 100 series. It has 5 grease nipples - go figure. That was just part of the exhorbitent service fee. They also installed a part I had ordered as a 'spare' (how smart is that) I requested a free replacement. The service manager consulted his computer and advised me there were no available in Australia and it was 6 weeks ex Japan. (For a gasket!!!) Just blatant lies.

I immediately phoned another Toyota dealership, got through to the service manager who consulted his computer and advised me there was one available in Perth and they could have it onsite in 30 mins.

I contacted the Groups Managing Director and had the entire bill wiped.

When seeking work done now when travelling I always ask the locals - found some great owner/operator workshops who actually take pride in the in their work.

Who do you think is paying for all those fancy high street premises full of people who appear to do very little ...........

John
FollowupID: 781256

Reply By: anglepole - Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 09:15

Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 09:15
Hello Keith,

My 4WD dealership has pointed out that fixed price servicing is not always the "bees knees"as far as costs go. Sure you the price you know, but it is not always the cheapest.

Parts and oils etc. are charged at maximum retail price. To cover this extra cost the dealership I go to gives me a discount on the total bill.

So it pays to hunt around for a good mechanical provider, dealership or other mechanics.

When I had a Holden Jackaroo that dealership used measure the coolant acidity and not replace if it was OK. A savings there. They also provided all Holden parts at trade prices.

So there are some good ones out there, if you look around.

Cheers

AnswerID: 504511

Follow Up By: Member - Chris (QLD) - Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 13:39

Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 13:39
I agree with fixed price servicing is not always the "bees knees".
As the ones I have seen are only a basic service and not book service.
See how you go with getting all oils changed, cam belt changed, injectors replaced etc. when the service book indicates for the fixed price servicing cost offered by dealers.
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

FollowupID: 781358

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 13:30

Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 13:30
Buy yourself a 'whiteout' fluid correction pen and prior to giving your vehicle to your "stealer" for servicing put just a small mark on the nuts and bolts /clips etc that have to be undone /removed for the full service ,,,,, one quick look [ before you pay for the service ] for your marks will soon tell you if the job has been done or you are paying for an apprentice to tick the boxes in the service book ,,,,,,,,,
AnswerID: 504524

Follow Up By: Ross M - Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 17:25

Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 17:25
Alloy c/t
I like nail polish. Not on my nails though.
You can't see it and if placed where the spanner/socket has to bear force it breaks off. Photographs of same is also really good with time and day/date on the digital file.

Works a treat with claims. Not much they can dispute.

There is nothing wrong with a fully ticked service book, it shows the book has been fully serviced, means nothing no correlation whatsoever about the car which has the book in it's glovebox though.
FollowupID: 781373

Reply By: JohnnyC - Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 23:11

Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 23:11
I have just repacked all four wheel bearings on my Troopy, the last person that did the job, what a butcher, all four bearings were under torqued and fretting on the stub axle, all four seals were different, one of the seals had previously been removed by belting the bearing cage with a hammer and screwdriver, bending the cage, bearing had been refitted,one front seal had picked up and been torn during fitting of the hub, lockwashers had been reused.
I checked the service record, it had been done by a Toyota shop and the charge for the "service" was $1501.
It took me 2 easy days and cost a couple of hundred dollars to replace the damaged parts, no special tools are required.
It seems that going to the dealer does not always guarantee the best job.
AnswerID: 504549

Sponsored Links