Cape York OTT jayco flamingo is it possible

Hi

We are looking to go with a group next oct to the Cape. We are trying to decide do we buy the jayco flamingo or go with a camper trailer.

The camper trailers we are looking at are:

Complete campsite Uluru
Mountain trail camper
Or an explorer camper

We have owned a jayco swan but sold that a few years ago.

The flamingo will offer us the best of both so when we go "glamping" we can have the little luxuries and if we go bush it will also be self sufficient.

We sold our 24ft sterling 9 mths ago and that was luxury on wheels but we like our bush camping and quite often pitch a tent.

What do you think would we kill a new flamingo on the OTT? We would be avoiding gun shot with any type of trailer. But is it possible in the October

We do all sorts of small trips throughout the yearns normally do a 2 week stint in a caravan park for the kids.

Feedback and opinions please
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: CSeaJay - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 10:45

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 10:45
Hi

You can do it depending on your skill level, seen idiots with proper offroad trailers not knowing the first thing of reducing tyre prssures on sand.

Expect some damage, more due to its width and some tight turns on the OTT, specially in and out of some of the creeks. There are some sharp turns with high sides where smaller trailers rub.
AnswerID: 504449

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 10:51

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 10:51
Firstly, I reckon it would to a large measure, depend on the condition of the track.
However, from reading this and other forums, plus based on our experiences with the Cape (3 trips) I'm a feared the corrugations would wreak havoc with the van, even on the main road.

Whether the Jayco is better or worse than other makes is not something I can comment upon with any authority, however I have heard any number of horror stories of various vans shaking apart in these situations.

Maybe get your van after the trip??
AnswerID: 504451

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 10:53

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 10:53
"Can not comment upon"

Oh for the edit button ..... please???
FollowupID: 781268

Follow Up By: Witi Repartee - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 11:02

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 11:02
Isn't there a "preview" button, so you can see how you reply "lays out" and correct typos?

Mind you, I have been guilty of not taking my own advice!
FollowupID: 781271

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 11:16

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 11:16
True .... however I'm sure I'm not alone in my uncanny ability to proof read and blithely overlook errors.

Many forums include an edit feature, which I believe to be a worthwhile feature and would wish for its addition here.
FollowupID: 781273

Reply By: Member - John G - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 12:21

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 12:21
G'day Lindsay

We have an Eagle Outback, and we left it at Lakeland for three weeks and tented from there on up. We did the OTT and I would not have been comfortable at all if we had the Jayco in tow. Of those Jayco campers that we came across on the trip, none had done the OTT.

If you youtube Cape York creek crossings you may track down some pics of Jaycos being towed on the OTT, and that will give you a better idea. As someone else has said - expect damage. The caravan park manager/owner at Lakeland had a head full of stories about caravan and camper damage on the roads north of there, and finished with "your van will never be the same again".

Cheers
John
AnswerID: 504456

Reply By: Patrol22 - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 14:40

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 14:40
If the OTT remains in a similar condition to that of last August...then my answer would be a resounding NO!. Of course if you want to sustain damage then go for it but IMHO the southern entrance/exit to Palm Creek would be the first spot you will strike a problem. The same with the southern entrance/exit to Cannibal Creek - you might get it through travelling from south to north at this creeks but you will need a winch to get you out southbound. I don't think that you would have much trouble with the other crossings - Gunshot has some difficult approaches but in recent years there has been at least one 'chicken' approach.

Further north you could have a problem with Logan's Lagoon with is a quite large body of water just to the south of Nolan's Brook (another infamous water crossing). While Logan's is reasonably firm underneath it is often still quite deep even late in the season. In August 2012 it was over the bonnet of most vehicles (cruisers, patrols and defenders included).

So, yeah you could have a go but be prepared for some serious recovery effort and some damage to the trailer.
AnswerID: 504468

Follow Up By: Hunter Gatherer - Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 00:55

Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 00:55
If you travel on the Development Road and NOT the OTT, you will have corrugations but let some air out and take it slowly you should be OK.
FollowupID: 781339

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 07:28

Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 07:28
True ...indeed there are now some quite lengthy sections of bitumen on the bypass road and last season the only real corrugations was on the 10-15 km section of the southern bypass south of the Capt Billy turnoff. Of course this could change again next year as they've had a reasonable wet season thus far and the grading programme might be more than the local councils can handle.
FollowupID: 781342

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 19:59

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 19:59
The main problems you'd have with a Flamingo over a camper on the OTT is the width, the length of the drawbar, vunerable plumbing/wiring, waterproofness & dust ingress. Even the bypass road could cause you issues with corrugations & stone damage.
Most vans are left at Cooktown although the road up to Wiepa has improved considerably.
Cheers Craig..........
AnswerID: 504480

Follow Up By: Free 5 - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 09:42

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 09:42
If you buy a Jayco leave it at Cooktown! We are going to the Cape in July and have a Jayco Eagle outback which we love but will be leaving it in Cooktown then tenting it up to the Cape and back. Not saying the Jayco wont make it as I know lots that have, but Jayco's are not built to handle abuse! The screws inside will fall out and the leaf springs are notorious for breaking! Save yourselves the headache!
FollowupID: 781503

Reply By: Clan Lindsay - Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 22:21

Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 22:21
Thanks all for your replies. We are now looking more at camper trailers. But there are so many on the market that its hard to know where to start. I did list 3 possible camper trailers but for the $$$$ not sure if its worth that much. Decisions to be made
AnswerID: 504901

Sponsored Links