Mail Forwarding Services

We reside in south-east Queensland and about to start on a 2-3 year caravanning trip around Australia. Does anyone have any suggestions for a reliable and reasonably priced mail forwarding service operating in our part of the world?
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 13:00

Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 13:00
Hi Lynton,
I have my mail redirected to a friend who sorts out the junk and then can post it to the next town your going to c/o post office. The redirection cost $35.00 per year and you just renew it each year.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 504521

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 13:24

Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 13:24
Lynton,

We arrange with housesitters or neighbours to collect mail and periodically bundle it up into an A4 size satchel and send to us c/o a Post Office where we expect to be in a week's time. This has the advantage that the mailbox is emptied routinely to avoid publicising our absence, and costs very little.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 504523

Reply By: senseiray - Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 14:27

Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 14:27
Yes we are leaving in a few months to tour Oz and we will redirect to daughters place she will sort and forward to next town we will be going to....
AnswerID: 504526

Reply By: Athol W1 - Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 15:57

Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 15:57
Hi Lynton

We have all our mail redirected to our daughter, who also has Power of Attorney, she sorts it and then sends us an Email relating to anything of importance. She may also scan the mail and attach to the Email.
Should it be something that requires immediate attention she can deal with it under the Power of Attorney.
This arrangement has worked well for the past 4 years.
Have fun on your travels, there is certainly a lot to see out there.
It's a tough life, but someone has to do it.
Athol
AnswerID: 504529

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 16:36

Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 16:36
Gday Athol
I gave my son Power of Attorney , and so far he has only taken one car.
Enjoy your trip....
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 781371

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 18:43

Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 18:43
We redirect to a trusted reli who sorts it, pays the bills and bins most of it.
There is never anything important, and if there is scan and email is the go.
The only thing that has to be posted to us is the rego disc.
Better off without all that crap.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 504533

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 19:32

Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 19:32
We are lucky to have a daughter who takes on the task. We are running a business (farm) so this needs attention. She scans and emails anything needing attention, and lists the bills so i can pay them electronically. If i am out of internet range for long periods, she phones the vendor to explain why payment may be a little late. If a letter needs to be written, i email it back to her to sign and post on our behalf.

Boxes and boxes of junk mail await us and the "round filing cabinet" on our return. Very needs actual filing and that is mainly the bills.

We have set up papers free where possible for banks and shares - all done on line.

In several months of travelling at a time we have never needed to receive physical mail.

If you have no-one at all to handle your mail, there are many mail agencies - look for one that gives a scan and email service.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 504534

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 21:04

Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 21:04
We have found the best approach is to make sure, before you go, that you receive very little mail. These days most important bills etc can be sent via email and we can handle those with the lap top. Or a bankdraft can be set up for regular fixed payments.We no longer have subscriptions to magazines. Any mailing lists etc we want to be on have email alternative. Our friends and important contacts are notified when we are travelling and they can email or phone us if necessary. Once most mail is eliminated a trusted neighbour collects the rest. It is never much. We leave him a pile of Express Post envelopes and we let him know a post office a week or so ahead each month and he just sends it all along. There is never much that is really vital! Lynne
AnswerID: 504539

Reply By: Member - Lynton B (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 21:51

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 21:51
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will use all to decide what action we will take.
Thanks again.
Lynton
AnswerID: 504633

Sponsored Links