rav4 pulling power

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 11:40
ThreadID: 100505 Views:2994 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hello, I am new on here and was wondering if peeps could provide thoughts on whether a Rav4 could pull a speed boat? I want to buy a 4cyl - 4wd, or something similar I have been looking at rav4, purely for the looks and have read good reviews that they can pull camper trailers no dramas but what about a boat? Launching, pulling up hills??? Thoughts please and I would appreciate suggestions on similar vehicles that may perform better.. Thank
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DereelGirl - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 12:07

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 12:07
Hi Trudy, I'm no expert but I have a X-trail auto and it tows my camper (I carry a lot of stuff in it) easily. They say it has the best fuel economy and I have heard but again cannot confirm that the Rav4 is a little thirsty.
I would think that if my X-trail can pull the camper it would be able to pull a boat.
Robyn
Dereelgirl

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 504571

Reply By: Geoff in SA - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 12:40

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 12:40
Hi Trudy

RAV4's unbraked towing capacity is 750Kg across the range. Braked towing
capacity is 1500Kg in 4-cylinder models and 1900Kg in 6-cylinder models.

Hope this helps

Regards

Geoff
AnswerID: 504575

Reply By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 14:54

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 14:54
That all depends on what you call a speed boat and under what conditions you want to tow it.

I have a 14 foot front controll tinny, that weighs in at about 700Kg on trailer....YES I have weighed it......I would hook that up behind the wifes RAV and drag it down the boat ramp with no hesitation.....as long as shee was not looking.

I also have a 16 foot centre console on a trailer with over riding brakes..it weighs in at arround 900Kg......Id drag that down the ramp too.

And....Hmmm.....yeh I'd problaby tow either up to Monduran or Awonga with the RAV if the hilux was out of commission.

Remember the little VVTi motor in the RAV makes more power than a 70 vintage 253V8 or an 80's vintage 4.1 liter six........but they are geared fairly high.

As for being fairly thirsty......compared to what.....this is a vehicle ther is as big as and weighs as much as a 6 cylinder Falcon....they are heaps better to drive though.

NOW....a mate of mine has a Crusecraft half cabbin that weighs in arround the 1.4 tonne on the trailer........the RAV might do it on paper...and it might get ya down the locak ramp if its close....but its a bit too much of an ask to do any more

Then ya have t ask ya self how good the ramp is.

If the ramp is a bit dodgy, or slipery or its not a nice civilised approach....4wd and low range makes things a hell of a lot more comfortable.

If ya think you would tow it with a comadore, a magna or even a falcon...the RAV will do the job no worries.

The RAV is not a proper 4WD, but they are a great car for what they are designed for.
My wife and a couple of my mates wives have RAVs and ya wont get any of em out of their RAVs ...even with an winch and a drag chain.

SO...how long is your piece of string.

cheers
AnswerID: 504588

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:51

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:51
Same here Bantam , my wife loves each of the 3 we have had and no issues to tow medium loads.

There are several RAV models though and the autos we now have are better at getting a load off the line than previous manuals.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 781519

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 12:51

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 12:51
I am no lover of auto's, but the autos in the later RAVs are extraordinary.

I had the salesmans drive home car for a day while the wifes manual RAV was getting some accessories fitted.

Of course I gave it a bit of a run.....I did not tow anything with it...but....you will get off the mark faster in the auto....keep the foot burried and it will rev to redline and then change thru the gears faster and cleaner than you have any hope with the manual.

And fa getting going on a dirt sholder....what a thing.

I understand that both the auto and the rear drive have some sort of overheat protection in the software.

cheers
FollowupID: 781525

Reply By: Rangiephil - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 15:34

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 15:34
Just be aware that both Rav 4s and Xtrails have archilles heels as far as towing is concerned.
The Xtrail is noted for a weak clutch in Manual form, and overheating autos if used in sand.

The Rav 4s of the late 2000s are noted for automatic transmission problems even without towing.
Without a low ratio both may struggle on boat ramps , and develop transmission problems in the longer term.
I reckon a Suzuki Grand Vitara may be a better bet even though its low ratio isn't very low, or maybe a Mitsubishi Challenger, which is not as car like as Rav4 but is built for hard work and has low ratio.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 504590

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 18:43

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 18:43
The RAVs of late 2000 and those a decade younger a very different vehicles.

The new RAV autos are very good.......the single thing that must be understood is they are not a Landcruser and like any passenger car, ongoing sustained work near towing capacity is not advised.

I'be be keeping it under the tonne unless it was easy work.

cheers
FollowupID: 781458

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 21:44

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 21:44
What do you call pulling power.....

Most vehicles will pull anything if you can break the rolling resistance, how fast is a different story...... is 20kph OK or do you want to do it at 60kph,; or maybe 90kph ...... it's a personal thing!

If your set on a Rav for their "looks and good reviews" and power and towing ability isn't important that's fine but if power and towing ability is a high priority then looks are only part of it..... why not a V6 Rav.
AnswerID: 504632

Reply By: mikehzz - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 23:22

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 23:22
If its pulling power you want then I would look at any of the later model diesel autos around the 2.2 litre mark like an Outlander, Captiva or Freelander 2. They all have around 130 kw and 400+ nm torque and will pull 2000kg without flinching a bit. They all have some sort of all wheel drive and get in the 8's fuel economy as well.
PS Before anyone jumps up and down about a Freelander 2 reliability, the latest figures show that they are more reliable than a Toyota with an average failure rate over 5 years of only around 10%, Toyotas coming in at 14%. Of course the rest of the Land Rover models compensate towards a low reliability index by having a failure rate in excess of 55%....I don't know where Land Rover went wrong with the Freelander 2? I'm sure they could have made them break down if they really tried. :-)
AnswerID: 504640

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:45

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:45
Didn't some unkind soul make a statement that went something like "95% of Landrovers ever made are still on the road, the other 5% made it back home." Some wag is also reported to have made the comment that a fair amount of those still on the road are there because of the lack of traction caused by their own oil leaks.
As a past owner of that venerable brand may I say "I resemble that" (;-)))

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 781518

Reply By: Trudy W - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 12:11

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 12:11
Thank you to all that have replied. Certainly given me a few more things to think about!
AnswerID: 504668

Sponsored Links