Front Diff Lock 2012 Hilux

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 12:42
ThreadID: 100508 Views:14466 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I have just purchased a 2012 Hilux Dual Cab and intend to add a front diff lock. It has been suggested that I look at the E Locker compared to the ARB air locker. The reason given that there are a lot less parts to the E Locker it is a complete change of diff centre and of course there is no air lines or compressor to worry about. Does any body have information on these two lockers be it good or bad.
Thanks for any feedback.

Ross
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Geoff in SA - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 12:50

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 12:50
Hi Guys

Have a look at these threads on here for some info.

ThreadID: 92407
ThreadID: 91559

Regards

Geoff
AnswerID: 504576

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 13:06

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 13:06
A rear diff lock will be more beneficial on your Hilux then the front one.

I would go the E-locker any day over the others, we ran them in our Hilux .
AnswerID: 504578

Reply By: Andrew & Jen - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 14:40

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 14:40
Hullo Ross

I have an E-locker in the rear of the LC80TD and a Detroit Trutrac (LSD) in the front. They perform very well. The front Detroit LSD is a proper mechanical one, not clutches, unlike the original Toyota ones that did not last very long.

While many people like the air lockers, you are right in saying that the E-locker is more reliable. When I got my LC checked out in Omeo before heading into the high country, the mechanic there was very interested in the E-locker, as he makes a good living fixing the local's air lockers. These guys use their utes for work in the logging industry, not just the occasional w/e stuff for pleasure, so they get a real workout.

Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 504587

Reply By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 16:37

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 16:37
Hi Ross.
I fitted a Lock Right locker to the front of our 80 series in 1997 and it has been fantastic.
It is best fitted to a part time 4wd with manual hubs but as far as bang for your buck goes I reckon they are way better. No air lines, compressor and dead reliable. I paid $500 back in 1997 and I think they are still about the same price.
AnswerID: 504594

Reply By: Ross M - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 17:08

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 17:08
G'day Ross
Not sure of your mechanical awareness so the following is worth mentioning.
Because you have fixed hubs, in your current system the RHS differential side gear runs the same direction as the RHS wheel and the differential action drives the LHS side gear backwards all the time it is not locked in for 4wd.

AN ARB locker will also do this if fitted.
A LOKKA style centre has a ratcheting action (no differential gears or action) when one wheel is revolving faster than the other.

This ratcheting action will occur when you steer off line BUT in normal use with the ADD system not engaged the LOKKA will have to either ratchet all the time while driving when out of 4wd, as situation I believe will cause the ratcheting action to become a ratsh*tting action on the internals.
The normal few click will be a torrent of click until it wears it away and those bits of metal will be going through the diff crownwheel and pinion teeth ans the bearings too.

If it doesn't ratchet, it will not override internally as is normal on turns and it will the be driving the front drive shaft and some internals in the transfer case and they will be running all the time no matter if it is in 4wd or not. This will add to fuel usage and general wear and tear

To prevent this as one poster mentioned with an 80 series, to use a LOKKA you will have to also fit manual locking hubs and "Manuel" has to get out and lock them in, in readiness for the selection of 4wd use.
With FWHubs fitted all OK and should be trouble free. You just have to be aware of everything regarding either systems use.

So everyone who says I used one, she'll be right mate, best thing since sliced bread, may not be thinking into the issue very deeply at all.
Any modification demands a full knowledge of the consequences of the action.

That is how I see it.
Cheers

Ross M
AnswerID: 504599

Reply By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 19:04

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 19:04
Ross & Chris,

Your 2012 Hilux, is it part time or full time 4WD and if part time do you have free wheeling hubs?

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 504610

Reply By: Member - ross & chris - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 20:57

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 20:57
pop
yes it is part time 4 wheel drive ..and no it doesnt have free wheeling hubs. we are about to order a whole pile of accessories for the hilux ...one being a ARB air locker in the front....we know that in it self people say to put the arb locker in the back...but after discussions with our friends... they said if we are only getting one locker to put it in the front.. we all agreed that it would be better to have the diff lock in the front to pull you up something rather than in the back to push you up...and being a new hilux the back LSD should be ok...we were originally going to get one for both front and rear...we were advised to get a winch for the front instead of a back locker...we were then advised about how many arb lockers seem to be needing repairs more often now... and that a e-locker has less parts to it ...its a electrical magnetic locker so there is no need for a compressor...

what we are trying to achieve in the set up of the new hilux compared to the old one this time round ....is more for outback touring on our own as we will be living on the road from the beginning of next year...so we are trying to get the balance to be self sufficent as much as possible...in most conditions...

as we love to stick our head in all sorts of places....

many thanks for all your comments.
AnswerID: 504623

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 21:30

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 21:30
If your new Hilux has stability control you will have an open rear diff.....no LSD.

I would always go the advise from your friends, if they say put it in the front..... put it in the front, friends are always right.... even if they are wrong.

FollowupID: 781474

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:05

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:05
Hi Ross & Chris,

Sorry I didn't get back sooner, grandchild baby sitting needed.
My vehicle is an early model Landcruiser and as per usual the rear LSD stopped being effective after about 40,000 k's. I am not sure if the Hilux like yours, which is much newer, has an improved version of their LSD or if they now rely on some form of traction control to assist. The problem with rear LSD type diffs that use spring loaded clutch plates is that even when you are just driving around town, the plates are wearing every time you turn a corner and the wheels are forced to turn at different speeds.
More years ago than I care to think about I worked for a company that fitted Detroit locker (more accurately unlockers) diffs to everything from 10 ton trucks to Landcruiser class vehicles. These diffs worked very well although the early ones did make rather alarming noises as they went about their business particularly on bitumen or any hard surface. I believe the new generation of "soft lockers" work just as well without the noises.
While these units worked well at either end of the vehicle weight scale the lighter ones were a bit "twitchy" on wet or slippery roads.
For that reason I fitted a rear Air Locker to the Landcruiser some 15 or so years ago and since then have done many off road trips including the CSR and Gibb River. So far the only problem I have had is that the smallish compressor died from being asked to inflate to many 4WD size tyres.
I wonder how many failures of Air Lockers can be attributed to drivers waiting until the vehicle looses traction before engaging the lockers and doing so while one wheel is spinning therefor imposing a shock load to the diff as it engages. I guess that is a good reason to fit an automatic locker rather than a manual in the case of inexperienced drivers.
Front or rear locker?? I guess it depends if you get into situations where you need maximum traction to front or rear wheels when you have just one axle fitted out. Going up a steep slippery slope I would rather have the rear locker unless you need to back up.
Sorry if I rambled on too much but hopefully this will be of some use to you.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 781513

Reply By: Member - ross & chris - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 10:29

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 10:29
hi the dual cab hilux 2012 is a SR model with a LSD in the back ....
AnswerID: 504667

Follow Up By: Michaeljp - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 14:55

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 14:55
Toyota LSD's are well know for being useless after awhile. I had 2 hiluxs 89 model and 96 model, i put a Detroit truetrac in the rear of both of them and i never got stuck anywhere on my around oz travels. If i was you id out the locker in the rear.
FollowupID: 781529

Follow Up By: Michaeljp - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 14:58

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 14:58
Just to correct what i wrote, previously, "If i was you, i'd PUT the locker in the rear".
FollowupID: 781530

Follow Up By: Member - ross & chris - Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 11:07

Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 11:07
we have decided to go with the e-locker in the front of our new hilux...less moving parts...... as it hopefully wont get used to much...this will make it more durable for us....we have been lucky with our LSD,s in the old one.... we always managed to have them working for us...we changed up to different ratios and diffs about 5 years ago. in the old one when we rebuilt it.....so what we will do with the new hilux ........ is see how the LSD performs with the e-locker in the front .....and go from there.... we are also getting the bullbar and whinch set up to....along with lots of other accessories.

many thanks ross and chris
FollowupID: 782238

Follow Up By: Andrew & Jen - Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 11:23

Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 11:23
Hullo Ross and Chris
You might want to keep an eye on the GVM. It is all too easy to inadvertently go (way) over.
Both police and insurance companies are taking an increasing interest re this issue.
Cheers
Andrew
FollowupID: 782240

Sponsored Links